Monster Hunter World

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Monster Hunter World

Post by Kong Wen »

Watching the Sony conference, I was pumped to see Monster Hunter finally coming to good consoles! It'll be released in early 2018 for PS4, XBone, and PC. This means it'll also have a voice chat system that actually makes sense. I'm definitely going to snag a copy on PS4. Who's going to come hunt monsters with me? 4-player co-op loot grind!
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: Monster Hunter World

Post by VictorViper »

On it. Big time.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I'll be waiting for a PC release. Not into voice chat at all but I'll probably play with my usual Monster Hunter buddy if he doesn't get it for PS4.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Interesting that this game is titled Monster Hunter Worlds and not Monster Hunter 5, makes me wonder if this is more of a spin off/experiment in the same vein as Monster Hunter Generations.

Definitely pumped to try this one out.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

The Shoemaker wrote:Interesting that this game is titled Monster Hunter Worlds and not Monster Hunter 5, makes me wonder if this is more of a spin off/experiment in the same vein as Monster Hunter Generations.

Just a gut feeling, but I'll wager this one is definitely going to be a departure, and I'll be ok with that. I'm predicting a streamlimed core experience in terms of pretty much everything outside of combat, which will facilitate online features like drop-in drop-out connections, voice chats, parties, etc. They'll try to keep the depth of the combat/hunt, parties, distinct biomes and grind in tact if they're smart about it. I don't want Toukiden, I want the hunt. That sounds really bloody good to me, at least as I'm imagining it, and if they're really still serious about hoping for a wider western audience, a pretty good approach, I think.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

VictorViper wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:Interesting that this game is titled Monster Hunter Worlds and not Monster Hunter 5, makes me wonder if this is more of a spin off/experiment in the same vein as Monster Hunter Generations.

Just a gut feeling, but I'll wager this one is definitely going to be a departure, and I'll be ok with that. I'm predicting a streamlimed core experience in terms of pretty much everything outside of combat, which will facilitate online features like drop-in drop-out connections, voice chats, parties, etc. They'll try to keep the depth of the combat/hunt, parties, distinct biomes and grind in tact if they're smart about it. I don't want Toukiden, I want the hunt. That sounds really bloody good to me, at least as I'm imagining it, and if they're really still serious about hoping for a wider western audience, a pretty good approach, I think.
Considering the "Worlds" title, you're probably right in that the focus will be very much geared towards online multiplayer. Wouldn't be surprised if there's no story mode, or side options like Palico's/partners.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:
VictorViper wrote:

Considering the "Worlds" title, you're probably right in that the focus will be very much geared towards online multiplayer. Wouldn't be surprised if there's no story mode, or side options like Palico's/partners.
There's going to be a story mode. Just because the game focuses on online multiplayer (which is debatable—just because it features good online multiplayer doesn't mean it's the focus) doesn't mean it can't also be a fully featured MH game. This is a big game, not a one trick spinoff. It's not Final Fantasy Fishing! It'll be a departure in some ways but it'll still have all the MH staples.

Either way, MH has always highlighted online multiplayer, even back in the PS2 days. It's the best part of the game, after all.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Some more details on Monster Hunter World.

Zones are still divided up into numbered areas, but the transitions between them are seamless with no loading screens. They've adjusted some of the other gameplay functions to accommodate (swigging potions while walking), added a couple of additional mechanics (the grappling hook we saw in the E3 trailer, which can be used for mobility or to cause environmental effects), and removed some of the Generations-specific flair.

Online servers will be worldwide.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

When I say spin-off, I mean Generations style spin-off. Still a full featured game, just not monster Hunter 5. They usually have some sort of twist to differentiate themselves from the main entries. As for story mode, I should differentiate that as single player mode. Usually online and solo quests are split with a separate story for each, I wouldn't be surprised if there's only one quest line with the option of soloing or multi.

The way I read it, it sounds like it's just going to be a big area that's sectioned off on a map, but will make no difference while you're playing.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:When I say spin-off, I mean Generations style spin-off. Still a full featured game, just not monster Hunter 5. They usually have some sort of twist to differentiate themselves from the main entries. As for story mode, I should differentiate that as single player mode. Usually online and solo quests are split with a separate story for each, I wouldn't be surprised if there's only one quest line with the option of soloing or multi.

The way I read it, it sounds like it's just going to be a big area that's sectioned off on a map, but will make no difference while you're playing.
Yes, that's how I read that too. (Though probably multiple big areas that are each numbered off on a map, kind of like how Destiny has 4 planets, and then when you land on one you can go between multiple zones of each planet.)

Yeah, single-player mode may be a thing of the past, unless they really want to push some epic raid-level encounters that you really need a team for. It wouldn't be fair to put those in a mode that you're also expected to be playing solo when your friends aren't online.