Dark Souls I, II, and now III!

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Dark Souls I, II, and now III!

Post by Kong Wen »

Here's an interesting reflection on Dark Souls III with Miyazaki, as well as some comments on the possibility of a remaster of Demon's Souls (spoiler: it could happen if Sony wants, but he doesn't see From being involved).
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Would be nice if it was a giant patch to fix my 40H wrecked character file, but I'll accept DLC as enough reason to restart with less of a chip on my shoulder.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Lol, that tweet couldn't be any more direct :p

That's too bad about your save Vic, just turned it on one day and your save was corrupted?
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

The Shoemaker wrote:
Lol, that tweet couldn't be any more direct :p

That's too bad about your save Vic, just turned it on one day and your save was corrupted?
No, but I invested heavily (exclusively) into a poise/ultra greatsword build and reached a point in the game where it just became absolutely miserable to play. Then they patched a bug with a covenant (one that allows respecs) that is now impossible to join. To my knowledge, poise and hyperarmour are still "turned off" in the code, which is the main issue at hand.

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote:No, but I invested heavily (exclusively) into a poise/ultra greatsword build and reached a point in the game where it just became absolutely miserable to play. Then they patched a bug with a covenant (one that allows respecs) that is now impossible to join. To my knowledge, poise and hyperarmour are still "turned off" in the code, which is the main issue at hand.
They usually patch and balance these games relentlessly. I'm surprised poise has been broken this long, and I'll continue to be surprised if it remains broken much longer.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Kong Wen wrote:
VictorViper wrote:No, but I invested heavily (exclusively) into a poise/ultra greatsword build and reached a point in the game where it just became absolutely miserable to play. Then they patched a bug with a covenant (one that allows respecs) that is now impossible to join. To my knowledge, poise and hyperarmour are still "turned off" in the code, which is the main issue at hand.
They usually patch and balance these games relentlessly. I'm surprised poise has been broken this long, and I'll continue to be surprised if it remains broken much longer.
The controversy around it seems to be that no one at From or N-B has said whether this was on purpose or not. Poise and HA are turned off, not actually bugged or broken.

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Definitely really strange how silent they have been on poise. Almost sounds like turning it on would cause the game to crash or something, why else would it take this long? At the very least say this is how they want it to work.

How does DLC usually work? I'm on new game plus now, would I need to get to the end of the game to go through the DLC stuff or is it usually completely separate from the main game?
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

The Shoemaker wrote:Definitely really strange how silent they have been on poise. Almost sounds like turning it on would cause the game to crash or something, why else would it take this long? At the very least say this is how they want it to work.

How does DLC usually work? I'm on new game plus now, would I need to get to the end of the game to go through the DLC stuff or is it usually completely separate from the main game?
My suspicion with poise is that somewhere mid- development, they decided to nix it altogether, but in the most half-assed way possible (poise is still a stat, it just doesn't do anything).

As for DLC, in the past they've made it so you can access it roughly halfway through the game (give or take, since things can be played way out of order). It's also frequently something you can miss if you aren't looking for it, and yes, there may come a point where you've played too far along to activate it on that playthrough. That said, we won't know til it hits the storefront, but they got less cryptic (and harder to irreparably fuck up) since the first Dark Souls.

OH! And nooooo way are you going to want to experience the DLC for the first time in NG+. That's all but a guarantee.

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Dark Souls III DLC I - Ashes of Ariandel