SNES Classic

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

SNES Classic

Post by Kreegs »

The SNES Classic has been announced. It will be "available" on September 29th for $79.99 USD. The 21 games included are pretty great, with the only notable missing games for me being Chrono Trigger and maybe DKC 2. Most mentionable is the inclusion of Star Fox 2, making its first ever official release from Nintendo.

Does this product interest you? Will you be attempting to get one? What do you think of the games list? Are there any games you wished were included?

I plan on trying to get one, but fully understand that these things will be impossible to find.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/26/ ... -and-dated
Last edited by Kreegs on 26 Jun 2017 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: SNES Classic

Post by Kong Wen »

Link to more info and game list.

It costs $10 more than the NES classic, but it comes with one additional controller ($10 value, lol). It also has fewer games than the NES classic, but NES games sold for $5 a pop on VC while SNES ones sold for $8.

Game list:

Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
EarthBound
Final Fantasy III
F-ZERO
Kirby Super Star
Kirby’s Dream Course
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Star Fox 2
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!
Yoshi’s Island
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kreegs wrote:the only notable missing games for me being Chrono Trigger and maybe DKC 2.
Ah yeah, Chrono Trigger is a pretty notable absence.

I mentioned in the chat that one of the best games on the system, NHL 94, will unfortunately be missing due to licensing issues.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

This model definitely interests me a lot more than the NES Classic, with a lot of games I wanted to play/play again like Secret of Mana, Mario RPG, ALTTP, Kirby Superstar, EarthBound.

My problem is, I'd rather play these games on Switch, as that's where I would actually play them. But it's a cool box, so I dont know. Probably $100 Canadian too.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:This model definitely interests me a lot more than the NES Classic, with a lot of games I wanted to play/play again like Secret of Mana, Mario RPG, ALTTP, Kirby Superstar, EarthBound.

My problem is, I'd rather play these games on Switch, as that's where I would actually play them. But it's a cool box, so I dont know. Probably $100 Canadian too.
$100 CAD is not too bad for this. This is a good cottage system, like the old NES you were talking about in chat. Throw it in a backpack and hook it up at a friend's house. Glad it comes with two controllers.

I'm with you, though. I would much, much rather have these games on Switch, preferably for the sub-$5 pricing represented by having 21 of them on a $100 machine. That said, I don't think these little decoration microconsoles exist in the same market as the Switch, so I don't think something like this precludes a virtual console or would cannibalize virtual sales.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I third the opnion of rather playing them on my Switch, especially now that I have that dynamite SNES pad to play them on at home. I doubt it, but if they announce a VC service before this is released, AND it will have both of the SNES Star Fox games, I wouldn't need to get the SNES mini.

But ita Nintendo and they know fanboys like me will double dip on some of the games, so there is that.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
The Shoemaker wrote:This model definitely interests me a lot more than the NES Classic, with a lot of games I wanted to play/play again like Secret of Mana, Mario RPG, ALTTP, Kirby Superstar, EarthBound.

$100 CAD is not too bad for this. This is a good cottage system, like the old NES you were talking about in chat. Throw it in a backpack and hook it up at a friend's house. Glad it comes with two controllers.

I'm with you, though. I would much, much rather have these games on Switch, preferably for the sub-$5 pricing represented by having 21 of them on a $100 machine. That said, I don't think these little decoration microconsoles exist in the same market as the Switch, so I don't think something like this precludes a virtual console or would cannibalize virtual sales.
No I don't think we need to worry about Switch VC, I'm just wondering for myself, if I want to pay $100 for this and then likely rebuy some of the same games on Switch later on. But you're right about that, this is a good cabin/rainy day device.

A few tibits that have come out

Nintendo will significantly increase the stock of the SNES Classic compared to the NES Classic, but like the previous console, they only plan to support it through 2017.

Controller cords will be 5 feet instead of 3.

You have to unlock Star Fox 2 by beating the first level of Star Fox 1.

Preorders in the UK have opened already.

Just like the NES Classic, EU version won't have an AC adapter (will have the USB cord though)
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Slightly interested in this, but will need to know more about the specs. Already got 13 of the games in some form and don't want to get the old PAL versions (again).
Grt. Merlin

Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

I already own all but two of these games (one of those obviously being StarFox 2). Will probably pass. Hopefully this is less plagued by availability issues than its predecessor, though.
You got BOOST power!
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

MerlinDrazziw wrote:Slightly interested in this, but will need to know more about the specs. Already got 13 of the games in some form and don't want to get the old PAL versions (again).
Just checked on the dutch nintendo site: "Opmerking: alle games die op het Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System staan, zijn de oorspronkelijk Amerikaanse versies in 60 Hz.". That makes me more interested.
Grt. Merlin