SNES Classic

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: SNES Classic

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: 20 Feb 2018 15:03
The Shoemaker wrote: 20 Feb 2018 03:47 Got one for my birthday today! Loaded up some 2 player contra to start. Been playing Zelda all day now, just got to the dark world and beat the first dungeon there. Might beat the game by tomorrow ;)
Hurray! Glad you were able to get one!

After thoroughly enjoying my hacked SNES Classic, I fully intend to try to pick up an NES version this summer. They're fun little game-nuggets.
What does it look like when you have it nodded? Do you still go through the same menu selection.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote: 20 Feb 2018 17:13
The Shoemaker wrote: 20 Feb 2018 03:47 Got one for my birthday today! Loaded up some 2 player contra to start. Been playing Zelda all day now, just got to the dark world and beat the first dungeon there. Might beat the game by tomorrow ;)

After thoroughly enjoying my hacked SNES Classic, I fully intend to try to pick up an NES version this summer. They're fun little game-nuggets.
What does it look like when you have it nodded? Do you still go through the same menu selection.
Same menu and options and everything, yes. The mod tool has options that allow you to change how the pagination/folders work a bit. This is helpful if you want to put like 100 games on there and don't want to have to cycle through them all. I left the menu setup the normal way because I don't mind cycling through ~40-odd games. When you're uploading the ROMs you can also select cover art for them (or let the mod tool Google covers for you) so you can get them looking pretty standardized.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: 20 Feb 2018 19:07
The Shoemaker wrote: 20 Feb 2018 17:13

Same menu and options and everything, yes. The mod tool has options that allow you to change how the pagination/folders work a bit. This is helpful if you want to put like 100 games on there and don't want to have to cycle through them all. I left the menu setup the normal way because I don't mind cycling through ~40-odd games. When you're uploading the ROMs you can also select cover art for them (or let the mod tool Google covers for you) so you can get them looking pretty standardized.
Wow that sounds even better than I thought. Can you use the suspend feature and all That?
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote: 20 Feb 2018 21:10 Wow that sounds even better than I thought. Can you use the suspend feature and all That?
Yep, the system literally thinks the ROMs you add are normal games like the ones included, so all the same functionality works.

It makes sense when you think about it. The SNES Classic is essentially a little plastic box running a custom emulator. The only thing is some ROMs don't work on it. And this seems rare to me—I only found a couple that I couldn't add. Bear in mind I was only trying to add games I had in my own collection anyway, so if you're trying to dump a bunch of crazy Japan-only ROMs on there some of them might not work. ActRaiser was one notable example that I had to cut loose. I think Lost Vikings was another one.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: 20 Feb 2018 21:28
The Shoemaker wrote: 20 Feb 2018 21:10 Wow that sounds even better than I thought. Can you use the suspend feature and all That?
Yep, the system literally thinks the ROMs you add are normal games like the ones included, so all the same functionality works.

It makes sense when you think about it. The SNES Classic is essentially a little plastic box running a custom emulator. The only thing is some ROMs don't work on it. And this seems rare to me—I only found a couple that I couldn't add. Bear in mind I was only trying to add games I had in my own collection anyway, so if you're trying to dump a bunch of crazy Japan-only ROMs on there some of them might not work. ActRaiser was one notable example that I had to cut loose. I think Lost Vikings was another one.
That's nuts! Do you happen to have the link or whatever for what you used to mod It?
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote: 20 Feb 2018 21:31
Kong Wen wrote: 20 Feb 2018 21:28

That's nuts! Do you happen to have the link or whatever for what you used to mod It?
I'll pop you a PM when I get home, if Kiwi doesn't get you first (he has the link and a hookup for the ROMs).