SNES Classic

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
neuzd
Ω

Re: SNES Classic

Post by neuzd »

I suffered a funny optical effect yesterday. After unpacking the SNES classic and playing a bit around I set the visualization at 4:3, noticing that I was finding the broader screen more appealing and the graphics didn't seem to have a particularly "squashed" feeling (I did start with original, because, well, it's the original and it's how the graphics was intended to look).
After playing a bit of Super Mario Kart and checking my computer, I had the sensation that everything on screen was unnaturally slim.
The effect was evident while watching avatar pictures on the forum: they're perfectly square, but they looked tall : D

I found that the CRT filter mode was a lot less straining on my eyes, so basically all 3 modes have some aspects that make them appealing to me, and I will probably never stick with just one and switch between all of them.
Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

Post by Ouenben »

https://mobile.twitter.com/twitter/stat ... 0058828800

Just finished Mega man X , my first Mm game I've beaten !
Really enjoying Mario RPG at the moment and going to play FF3 or Earthbound afterwards.

Also currently playing:
Donkey Kong country - world 3
Mario world - world 5
Kirby super star - completed star breeze

Resisting urge to play Zelda, Metroid and secret of mana again as I'd like to try and beat some new games first
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

neuzd wrote: 03 Oct 2017 11:01 I suffered a funny optical effect yesterday. After unpacking the SNES classic and playing a bit around I set the visualization at 4:3, noticing that I was finding the broader screen more appealing and the graphics didn't seem to have a particularly "squashed" feeling (I did start with original, because, well, it's the original and it's how the graphics was intended to look).
After playing a bit of Super Mario Kart and checking my computer, I had the sensation that everything on screen was unnaturally slim.
The effect was evident while watching avatar pictures on the forum: they're perfectly square, but they looked tall : D

I found that the CRT filter mode was a lot less straining on my eyes, so basically all 3 modes have some aspects that make them appealing to me, and I will probably never stick with just one and switch between all of them.
I can't really settle on one yet either. The CRT filter does look the most "correct" to my eyes but it's a tad more blurry than I remember on some games.

Pixel perfect certainly cleans up the graphics on DKC but yes, it's a bit to tall and not quite right either to me...although I gather this is how the game displays "properly" on modern emulators.

I was expecting something a little better in the way of borders. Very bland affairs that aren't even up to par with the Super Game Boy. They could have at least offered a custom border themed around each game.

Played about five minutes of Starfox 2. I know that is a ridiculous amount of time to judge it but, as someone who still enjoys the original, my Initial thoughts are that I can see why it wasn't released. It didn't seem much fun.

I've been mostly playing Super Mario Kart and Secret of Mana so far. Determined to finally beat the latter this time after owning it on VC and getting 90% through it and recently beating the sequel.

Anyone who insists that Blue shells were the beginning of Mario Kart's unfair cheating has probably, as I had, forgotten about Luigi's infinite spamming of his invincibility!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I'm going to a social this month that has a SNES classic as the grand prize. I might actually buy some tickets for once!
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

EB Games (Canada) just got some online stock this morning, and I managed to sneak an order in! No word on when it'll ship, but it appears I have a guaranteed unit after all! Shoe, if you haven't gotten one yet, check it out!
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Nicely done Kong! What are you most excited to play?
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Yeah by the time I checked it was sold out again!
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kreegs wrote: 18 Oct 2017 02:07 Nicely done Kong! What are you most excited to play?
Play?! I'm putting this on eBay for $300!
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

You mean 400 right?
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Kong Wen wrote: 18 Oct 2017 02:40
Kreegs wrote: 18 Oct 2017 02:07 Nicely done Kong! What are you most excited to play?
Play?! I'm putting this on eBay for $300!
But for realzies though. Which game are you hitting up first?