Club Nintendo Rewards

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Re: Club Nintendo Gold/Platinum Rewards

Post by Kreegs »

I think you misunderstood me, I already have NES Remix, so all the other options are fair game.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Kong Wen wrote:
Kreegs wrote:I got Platinum this year and I honestly have no idea what I want to get. I don't need anything for the 3DS (but maybe Fluidity??), so I am leaning towards something for the WiiU. The only WiiU option I have is NES Remix. What do you think I should get?
Well, at least NES Remix is free, so you won't be out anything even though it sucks. I'd be tempted to try to sell the code to someone if that were my only choice, though. :) Maybe you'll enjoy it! It's like a little compilation of crappier versions of NES games.
Yeah, NES Remix is the best choice, in terms of Wii U options.

UPDATE: Oh I see... whoops. Maybe Game & Wario, Dr. Luigi or one of the 3DS games? I could only go for G&W because that was my only option.

There's also EarthBound...
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

kitroplious wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:
Kreegs wrote:I got Platinum this year and I honestly have no idea what I want to get. I don't need anything for the 3DS (but maybe Fluidity??), so I am leaning towards something for the WiiU. The only WiiU option I have is NES Remix. What do you think I should get?
Well, at least NES Remix is free, so you won't be out anything even though it sucks. I'd be tempted to try to sell the code to someone if that were my only choice, though. :) Maybe you'll enjoy it! It's like a little compilation of crappier versions of NES games.
Yeah, NES Remix is the best choice, in terms of Wii U options.

UPDATE: Oh I see... whoops. Maybe Game & Wario, Dr. Luigi or one of the 3DS games? I could only go for G&W because that was my only option.

There's also EarthBound...
I was thinking either Game and Wario. Dr. Luigi would be ok too. Earthbound caught my attention, but I have never played an RPG except for Paper Mario 64 and a few Pokemon Games.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kreegs wrote:I was thinking either Game and Wario. Dr. Luigi would be ok too. Earthbound caught my attention, but I have never played an RPG except for Paper Mario 64 and a few Pokemon Games.
Oh, yeah, definitely misunderstood you! I think NES Remix is probably the worst game on offer out of the whole bunch! Embarrassing junk. I would recommend EarthBound from the list, but if you're not into RPGs, then it's probably a wasted pick. Game & Wario is probably better bang for your buck than Dr. Luigi, because the latter is just another Dr. Mario rehash.

I think I'm going to end up going with Game & Wario myself.

LOL, I just realized that will be the third shitty minigame collection that Nintendo has dumped on me for free with this system (Nintendoland with the console, Mario Party U with MK8, and G&W from CN).
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

I (uncharacteristically) only managed Gold this year, which puts me in shitsburg with respect to these rewards. I already have all of the games Gold achievers can get either physically or digitally except DK3, which I understand is pretty mediocre. On the bright side, I now have an excuse to replay Wario Land II, which ranks very highly among my favorite games of all time. I only ever had the monochrome Game Boy version too, so I'll finally get to play it in color. In all likelihood, I'll pick that over DK3.

Can't complain too much because they could always just not have a rewards program at all, but this is about as low-effort as it gets. Oh well!
Kong Wen wrote: LOL, I just realized that will be the third shitty minigame collection that Nintendo has dumped on me for free with this system (Nintendoland with the console, Mario Party U with MK8, and G&W from CN).
Whoa, now, NintendoLand is great and even includes a few games that make convincing use of the Game Pad, which is more than can be said of most of the rest of the console's library. Probably not worth buying separately, but as a pack in, I thought it was awesome.
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote:Can't complain too much because they could always just not have a rewards program at all, but this is about as low-effort as it gets. Oh well!
Yes, a free download is better than nothing, but most people calling this underwhelming are comparing it against Nintendo's previous years. They should have set the bar low and then slightly raised it each year rather than the other way around.
Claytone wrote:Whoa, now, NintendoLand is great and even includes a few games that make convincing use of the Game Pad, which is more than can be said of most of the rest of the console's library. Probably not worth buying separately, but as a pack in, I thought it was awesome.
It's definitely worth the price of $0.00. Regardless of how well it demos the WiiPad, it's still not a very inspired collection. The Wario games have typically been better at the whole tech demo thing than the actual games meant to do so (with the possible exception of Wii Sports, which was just a good game in general—and Smooth Moves was still excellent!).

I think I've just talked myself into selecting Game & Wario as my reward.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Kong Wen wrote:Oh, yeah, definitely misunderstood you! I think NES Remix is probably the worst game on offer out of the whole bunch! Embarrassing junk.
I don't know where I was, when I said it was the best game on offer, after there's EarthBound. I think I was referring to the NES Remix sequel (although that's not a reward option).
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Underwhelming, but cool to see actual retail games for download. I picked DKC 3D, even though I played the Wii version my only other option is Dr. Luigi or a NES game. I can't believe they put Kid Icarus up when they have the 3D Classics version up right now for 200 coins. Different system but still, the rewards shouldn't be games that they've already offered through Club Nintendo.

In the end it's free, and I'm happy with DKC.

And Jogurt are you serious? Nintendo Land was gold! Still one of the best party games I think. When I first got my Wii U I had people over every week having a blast with that game. As for Game and Wario, it's not all that much like the previous Wario games. If you didn't like Nintendo Land I really don't think you'll like this, it's basically a lot of Nintendo Land-like ideas but with no Wii Remotes. It has a few decent games on it, single player is meh.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Pluvius
Owner of Steam
Owner of Steam

Post by Pluvius »

Kong Wen wrote:I think NES Remix is probably the worst game on offer out of the whole bunch! Embarrassing junk.
Really? I've actually been jealous of the fact that that's not on 3DS for no apparent reason.

Rob
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Pluvius wrote:Really? I've actually been jealous of the fact that that's not on 3DS for no apparent reason.
Yeah. Even for Nintendo, it's one of the least creative things they've churned out. It basically relies on people saying "I like NES games!" and then going no further. The challenges are mundane and pointless and fail to draw out anything interesting from the original games. I think this is really where it falls apart. The game could have been an excellent opportunity to shed new light on the old classics by casting them in new ways, but instead they just cobbled together VC demos and added a point-collection mechanic in the menu.

I haven't seen much of the sequel, so maybe it fixes the problems of the first one, but it's not on offer here so I guess that's moot.

Jim Sterling's thoughts are most reflective of mine.