Splatoon 2

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Re: Splatoon 2

Post by kitroplious »

Kong Wen wrote:
Claytone wrote:
Kreegs wrote:Splatfest is announced from 8/4 at 11pm central to 8/5 11pm central. The theme is Mayo vs Ketchup. I have already signed up for team Ketchup. The sooner you pick teams, the more time you have to level up your Splatfest shirt ahead of time.
I picked Mayo just because I cannot pick Ketchup out of principle. Having said that, mustard seems like it would've been the obvious choice for the opponent to ketchup. Oh well.
What's obvious about that? Who eats mustard on their fries? Mayo on fries and ketchup on fries is the eternal battle. (Team Mayo FTW, BTW. (I feel like I should get this game just to support the correct way to eat fries.))
If this was about hot dogs and hamburgers things probably would be different. :)

I prefer honey mustard as a replacement if ketchup wasn't there!
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: What's obvious about that? Who eats mustard on their fries? Mayo on fries and ketchup on fries is the eternal battle. (Team Mayo FTW, BTW. (I feel like I should get this game just to support the correct way to eat fries.))
??????

People eat mayo on fries? Never in my 24-year-long life have I ever done so, seen someone do so, had it suggested that I do so, or had mayo offered with fries. Nor have I seen any such thing in media/pop culture. This is really a thing that's done? I'm legitimately incredulous at this. I'm not being sarcastic; this is completely foreign to me. I had no idea this was supposed to be a fries-topping thing, hence my suggestion that mustard made more sense, as it so often *accompanies* ketchup (but is also strictly better, IMO).

Having said all that, the actual correct way to eat fries is naked. A good french fry should stand on its own merits. I only deign to use ketchup when I'm forced to in order to stomach mediocre/bad fries to avoid wasting food. Ketchup entering my mouth is an indicator that I have failed to order quality fries, which is why I picked mayo. I have an inherently negative connotation with ketchup, but I have a neutral opinion of mayo.
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:What's obvious about that? Who eats mustard on their fries? Mayo on fries and ketchup on fries is the eternal battle. (Team Mayo FTW, BTW. (I feel like I should get this game just to support the correct way to eat fries.))
??????

People eat mayo on fries? Never in my 24-year-long life have I ever done so, seen someone do so, had it suggested that I do so, or had mayo offered with fries. Nor have I seen any such thing in media/pop culture. This is really a thing that's done? I'm legitimately incredulous at this. I'm not being sarcastic; this is completely foreign to me. I had no idea this was supposed to be a fries-topping thing, hence my suggestion that mustard made more sense, as it so often *accompanies* ketchup (but is also strictly better, IMO).

Having said all that, the actual correct way to eat fries is naked. A good french fry should stand on its own merits. I only deign to use ketchup when I'm forced to in order to stomach mediocre/bad fries to avoid wasting food. Ketchup entering my mouth is an indicator that I have failed to order quality fries, which is why I picked mayo. I have an inherently negative connotation with ketchup, but I have a neutral opinion of mayo.
OK, so it sounds like this is indeed an American context thing (meaning, it literally is foreign to you). Mayo is pretty much the default fry topping in Europe. Anywhere I've ordered fries there, they'll give you mayo and ask if you want ketchup. Google french fries & mayo or french fries around the world.

I agree that mustard is better than ketchup—yum!—but that's why I didn't get your suggestion... because they go hand-in-hand, not in competition.

Regarding your nude fries assertion, I agree that ketchup is not great on fries, which is one reason mayo wins out. Ketchup is like a saucy soggy disguise for bad fries, whereas good crisp fries are meant to be a delivery vehicle for a nice light, slightly spiced (appropriately complementary) mayo.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I ate them with mayo in Paris and Germany. Ketchup was an option, but I had to ask for it. Its not gross by any means, but I much prefer ketchup.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Made it to B in splat zones last night, splatershot Pro and rapid blaster worked well for me. I've put in over 30 hours into the game now.

Tried using the krak on roller a bit today. Rollers in general feel a lot better now that they have the vertical fling move. Gives you good momentum and allows you to kill from farther, but less accurate. I'm not quite painting enough with it though, I want to be around 1800-2000p each round but I'm sitting around the 1600p mark.

In general I find special charge up, and possibly special saver to work well with rollers. You're laying down lots of ink so the charge up will build your special faster, and the saver will let you keep more of your special charge when you're splatted. Especially for the carbon roller with it's inkstorm.

I recommend everyone scrubs their splatfest tee as often as possible. When you scrub a piece of clothing, you keep the sub abilities as ability chunks, which can be used to add specific sub abilities to clothing items using sea snails which you get from splatfest. A cheap piece of clothing will scrub for 20 000G, but the splatfest tee is only 2000, so it's great for earning chunks quickly.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: OK, so it sounds like this is indeed an American context thing (meaning, it literally is foreign to you). Mayo is pretty much the default fry topping in Europe. Anywhere I've ordered fries there, they'll give you mayo and ask if you want ketchup. Google french fries & mayo or french fries around the world.

I agree that mustard is better than ketchup—yum!—but that's why I didn't get your suggestion... because they go hand-in-hand, not in competition.

Regarding your nude fries assertion, I agree that ketchup is not great on fries, which is one reason mayo wins out. Ketchup is like a saucy soggy disguise for bad fries, whereas good crisp fries are meant to be a delivery vehicle for a nice light, slightly spiced (appropriately complementary) mayo.
Interesting you should say that. Even in my visits to England, Spain, France, and Italy, I never was offered mayo with fries. Now, I think two things could be at play here. a) I wanted to eat local cuisine rather than fried potatoes, so I possibly never even ate fries in a couple of those countries b) they could tell I was American and accommodated me accordingly.

Also, patatas bravas is the preferred fried potato dish in Spain (where I spent 2.5 months), and those are served with a special sauce, so it stands to reason I'd never have encountered it there. Although I did make my share of Burger King runs on busy days. Maybe I'm just unobservant, which is really the thing I was the most incredulous about. I fully believe it's a thing that's done, but I'm just amazed it's not something I've encountered even once.

Edit: Also, as a side note, I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with doing Splatfests for complementary things. For a Nintendo-themed example, I think a Mario/Luigi splatfest would be amusing. Salt vs Pepper. Etc. Still works, I think!
You got BOOST power!
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Shoe is giving away all my rolling secrets!!!!! Kidding.

Good tip for the scrubbing. I will have to do that. Also, how do you add more slots to certain clothing? Murch keeps saying Im not ready yet. Im at level 19, I should be ready.

Im still using carbon roller.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Claytone wrote:
Kong Wen wrote: OK, so it sounds like this is indeed an American context thing (meaning, it literally is foreign to you). Mayo is pretty much the default fry topping in Europe. Anywhere I've ordered fries there, they'll give you mayo and ask if you want ketchup. Google french fries & mayo or french fries around the world.

Interesting you should say that. Even in my visits to England, Spain, France, and Italy, I never was offered mayo with fries. Now, I think two things could be at play here. a) I wanted to eat local cuisine rather than fried potatoes, so I possibly never even ate fries in a couple of those countries b) they could tell I was American and accommodated me accordingly.

Also, patatas bravas is the preferred fried potato dish in Spain (where I spent 2.5 months), and those are served with a special sauce, so it stands to reason I'd never have encountered it there. Although I did make my share of Burger King runs on busy days. Maybe I'm just unobservant, which is really the thing I was the most incredulous about. I fully believe it's a thing that's done, but I'm just amazed it's not something I've encountered even once.

Edit: Also, as a side note, I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with doing Splatfests for complementary things. For a Nintendo-themed example, I think a Mario/Luigi splatfest would be amusing. Salt vs Pepper. Etc. Still works, I think!
I think salt vs pepper works because they are used in tandem, but also separately. I think too many people put mustard and ketchup together, but rarely separate mustard. Of course, without a splatfest we'll never know!
Kreegs wrote:Shoe is giving away all my rolling secrets!!!!! Kidding.

Good tip for the scrubbing. I will have to do that. Also, how do you add more slots to certain clothing? Murch keeps saying Im not ready yet. Im at level 19, I should be ready.

Im still using carbon roller.
My guess is it will unlock after splatfest is over since you can't actually do anything until you have sea snails.

Also, the load out for salmon run today is great. .96 Gal, Squelcher, splat dualies and heavy splatling. All viable options. No charger or ink brush.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Im up for playing Salmon run today!
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Playes some rounds with Shoe using voice chat. We did Salmon Run and Splat zones. The app is a but clunky, but it does a decent job. It might be better suited for more than 2 people, as it was only the two of us that could talk, but not to the "strangers" we were on a team with. Just two people might be better off using skype or just calling on the phone.

Games were fun and Salmon Run was more enjoyable being able to talk to a teammate.