Metroid: Samus Returns

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Metroid: Samus Returns

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Anyone planning on getting this 3DS remake for Metroid 2? (release date september 15th)

I'm still waiting for a chance to order the legacy edition, but I think I'll have to settle for the regular edition. I also want to get the 2 new amiibos if I can find them.

What I've seen of the game so far, it's a different approach than with the fan remake AM2R. Hopefully I like the changes they've made when I get to play the game.
Grt. Merlin

neuzd
Ω

Re: Metroid: Samus Returns

Post by neuzd »

Pre-ordered as soon as I could and already the Legacy edition was sold out. The amiibo couldn't be pre-ordered, so I'm planning to buy the Metroid one on Friday.
I'm obviously very happy to be playing a new Metroid and that's a 2D one.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I have the regular edition pre-ordered, and if my recent luck with pre-orders continues, I probably won't have it in hand this week. Looking forward to playing it. Metroid II is actually high up on my list of quality 2D 'troids.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I'll be playing it. From what I've read from previews, it has the core skeleton of Metroid II but is quite the different game.

Definitely exciting to have a 2D Metroid on the way.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I'll probably buy it day 1 as I've just completed Mario Rabbids. Though I really should finish Super Metroid.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

My copy should be arriving on the 22nd.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Got my copy today after ordering it yesterday. Was happily surprised I got a mail from the gamestore that they had 5 copies left to order (4 by the time I logged on to order a copy for myself). Played some of the game and got to area 2 where I've found the known upgrades (same upgrades as in Metroid 2). Game looks great so far, but I'm struggling with the timing of the melee attack.
Didn't get the amiibo yet, but still want them for my small collection. Can't use them with my 3DS, so if I want to I'll have to get a new 3DS/2DS or an addon for my current 3DS.
Grt. Merlin

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Been playing for the last couple days, just made it to area 4 today. This game is great.

First and foremost, I feel like the game really nails it's controls. The addition of a free aim button adds so much. Really helps make aiming more precise, and you can do some really flashy moves with it like jumping in past an enemy, aiming behind you and shooting in the air.

Samus feels really snappy moving around, and the new ledge grab helps with that a lot. The melee hot as well feels good. Takes some timing to get used to, but its reslly effective. At first you'll be using the move almost exclusively, but pretty soon after you get some upgrades that help to balance out the power of your shots and your melee. Being able to quickly swap beam types on the touch screen makes for a very smooth transition as well.

The animation, style and music in this game is really nice too. Really feels like Metroid Prime in a 2D space.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Just made it to area 5 today, surprised I'm already 9 hours in! I really like how powerful each upgrade makes you feel.

Upgrade spoilers for area
Spoiler
The graple beam really surprised me, just not expect such a prime weapon in this game. I thought it was a little awkward to use at first, but I realized today you don't even have to select the beam to use it, if you aim at any graple point it switches the beam for you, so intuitive.

Space jump surprised me too. I think it was in super but it's been a while. Seems like such a broken ability but so far that doesn't seem to be the case
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Beat the game last night, 100% as well. Took me about 18 hours total, which is a lot more than I expected from a 2d metroid game!

Felt good to be playing as Samus again, it's been too long.