Your 2017 Game(s) of the Year!

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Your 2017 Game(s) of the Year!

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: 02 Jan 2018 14:44 Here's my finalized list:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Fire Emblem Heroes
3. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
4. Flywrench
5. Reigns: Her Majesty sneaking in here at the end of the year
X. Destiny 2 is at an undisclosed position below games I would theoretically have enjoyed, like NieR and Persona, simply to cement its disappointingness.
I'm consistently surprised at how this game undelivered for a lot of fans, since at the beginning (it seemed) like everyone was happy.

I know at the very least Bungie has been making questionable choices when it comes to paid content, but I have a feeling that's not the meat of the problem.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote: 03 Jan 2018 18:14 I'm consistently surprised at how this game undelivered for a lot of fans, since at the beginning (it seemed) like everyone was happy.

I know at the very least Bungie has been making questionable choices when it comes to paid content, but I have a feeling that's not the meat of the problem.
I'm actually putting together an article about this for TONe. It seems like it's not the meat of the problem, but it's interesting to see the ways in which the various problems intersect with paid content. Like certain shitty design decisions were made in a way to look sideways at microtransactions.

People liking or disliking or being bored or content with Destiny at the beginning is largely irrelevant, since the purpose of an entry in the hobby-game genre is to keep people's attention for weeks or months on end. That means an engaging loot cycle and endgame content. Destiny 2 was promising at the beginning because it featured Bungie's signature smooth gunplay and great presentation, but unlike the first game, which was bursting with content (literally too much to play each week unless it was your full-time job), this one has a cheap and lazy and otherwise unappealing approach to the main content. (Incidentally, this is why I chuckle when people say they tried Destiny for a couple hours and didn't like it, without even having bothered playing with 5 other people.)
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: 03 Jan 2018 19:10 (Incidentally, this is why I chuckle when people say they tried Destiny for a couple hours and didn't like it, without even having bothered playing with 5 other people.)
This is, for what it's worth, exactly what turns me *off* of Destiny. PVE buddy games strike me as a time black hole. If I'm gonna play a game, I want to either be getting better at a competitive game against humans or knocking out single player games to expand my breadth of experiences in that arena.

I understand the social aspect, but there's nothing stopping me from partying up with PSfriends while playing 1P games anyway.

And mind you, I'm not saying you or anyone else are wrong for liking Destiny or its ilk. Just sort of sharing my thoughts.
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote: 04 Jan 2018 22:49 This is, for what it's worth, exactly what turns me *off* of Destiny. PVE buddy games strike me as a time black hole. If I'm gonna play a game, I want to either be getting better at a competitive game against humans—
Destiny is a competitive game against humans.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote: 04 Jan 2018 23:37
Claytone wrote: 04 Jan 2018 22:49 This is, for what it's worth, exactly what turns me *off* of Destiny. PVE buddy games strike me as a time black hole. If I'm gonna play a game, I want to either be getting better at a competitive game against humans—
Destiny is a competitive game against humans.
Ah, well, that is not the impression I was under. Apply what I said to MMOs and carry on. :)
You got BOOST power!
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

These are the best games I played that came out last year. No order. This list is canon.

To the Top
Dusk
Getting Over It With Bennett Foddy
The End is Nigh
Cuphead
The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+
Mario Odyssey
Serious Sam VR as a whole
Hollow Knight
BotW

Other good games:
Wolfenstein 2
Gorogoa
A Hat in Time
Immortal Redneck
Superhot VR
Rez Infinite
Probably West of Loathing but I haven't played it yet

Wuppo award for games that came out in 2016 but I played in 2017:
Wuppo

Edit award for thing I forgot because it was free:
Touhou Doom
Last edited by Spore on 07 Jan 2018 02:07, edited 1 time in total.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Spore wrote: 05 Jan 2018 20:47
The End is Nigh
Why haven't I seen you talking about the end is nigh before now??? I didn't think anyone here had the game.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

The Shoemaker wrote: 05 Jan 2018 22:15
The End is Nigh
Why haven't I seen you talking about the end is nigh before now??? I didn't think anyone here had the game.
I bought it and plowed through it over the span of a few days so my actionable time to discuss it was low. As a rule if it's a frustrating platformer on Steam I probably own it. Also I rarely bring things up on the forum. I just kind of glom on to existing conversations so it never coming up was a self fulfilling prophecy! But it's definitely been mentioned on the chat box a few times in a fleeting manner.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

The End is Nigh
Outside of kit or squishy.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

kitroplious wrote: 06 Jan 2018 00:05
The End is Nigh
Outside of kit or squishy.
Clearly we need more discussion of this game then! :lol: