Super Mario Odyssey

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.

How many Moons have you collected?

10%
1-199
No votes
200-399
30%
400-599
30%
600-749
10%
750-899
10%
900-998
No votes
10%

Total votes: 10

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Super Mario Odyssey

Post by Kong Wen »

Let's use this thread for all our discussion of Super Mario Odyssey!

• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Re: Super Mario Odyssey

Post by Claytone »

I think this game is gonna be really great! The "high effort" Marios, if you will, always are. I'm actually staying away from most previews/trailers so the experience will be as novel as possible.

As a side note, I think it's going to be an enormous boon for Nintendo to have a Zelda and true mainline Mario game on the console before Christmas. I guess that's not a groundbreaking take, but it's unequivocally a much better release schedule than the abysmal Wii U. Also great because Mario is my favorite video game series and this is the first exciting mainline game since Galaxy 2.
You got BOOST power!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I'm super pumped for the game! Im trying to avoid footage of this game as well, I want everything else to be a surprise at this point.

Sounds like it's going to be a pretty meaty game as well, something like 600 moons to collect?
Claytone wrote: 14 Sep 2017 19:27 I think this game is gonna be really great! The "high effort" Marios, if you will, always are. I'm actually staying away from most previews/trailers so the experience will be as novel as possible.

As a side note, I think it's going to be an enormous boon for Nintendo to have a Zelda and true mainline Mario game on the console before Christmas. I guess that's not a groundbreaking take, but it's unequivocally a much better release schedule than the abysmal Wii U. Also great because Mario is my favorite video game series and this is the first exciting mainline game since Galaxy 2.
If Odyssey ends up being as good as it looks, Switch will likely have the best and most ambitious Zelda and Mario games we've seen in years, both year one.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

Post by Ouenben »

The Shoemaker wrote: 15 Sep 2017 02:33 If Odyssey ends up being as good as it looks, Switch will likely have the best and most ambitious Zelda and Mario games we've seen in years, both year one.
Would be more impressive if Zelda wasn't a deliberately delayed Wii U game.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Ouenben wrote: 02 Oct 2017 13:16
The Shoemaker wrote: 15 Sep 2017 02:33 If Odyssey ends up being as good as it looks, Switch will likely have the best and most ambitious Zelda and Mario games we've seen in years, both year one.
I'm not normally the one to go to bat for Nintendo on things like this (and, of course, if Nintendo needed to hold a Wii U Zelda game under their hats just to stack the launch year of a new console, that says something) but regardless of what system Zelda was supposed to be on, the end result is a really terrific Switch game.

Odyssey, remains to be seen. I found Galaxy really compelling, partly because of the excellent platforming, but partly because of the overall design of the game. Odyssey looks a lot weirder (and in some ways more ambitious), but I don't know if that gels with me yet.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: 02 Oct 2017 13:28
Ouenben wrote: 02 Oct 2017 13:16
I'm not normally the one to go to bat for Nintendo on things like this (and, of course, if Nintendo needed to hold a Wii U Zelda game under their hats just to stack the launch year of a new console, that says something) but regardless of what system Zelda was supposed to be on, the end result is a really terrific Switch game.

Odyssey, remains to be seen. I found Galaxy really compelling, partly because of the excellent platforming, but partly because of the overall design of the game. Odyssey looks a lot weirder (and in some ways more ambitious), but I don't know if that gels with me yet.
Depends how much you enjoyed Mario 64 and Sunshine! But of course, we haven't seen Nintendo do a game like this since 2002, so it remains to be seen if they can successfully take that old formula and make it great again.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Ironically, I see a lot of people who liked Super Mario Sunshine hating on Super Mario Odyssey. They say that they think the platforming and movement is not fleshed out. Some of them complain that Nintendo has focused too much on this hat gimmick of controlling things along with exploration, but at the expense of platforming challenge.

I actually really disliked Super Mario Sunshine. It's one of the few Mario games I had a mediocre experience with. I disliked having to clean up shit everywhere. I will admit that the water thing added some interesting abilities for mario such as the ability to sort of glide or increase his jumps. Everything else about the game for me was really bleh, whereas I found Galaxy 1 and 2 to be incredible.

Super Mario Odyssey looks very hype to me, but I'm not expecting a typical Mario game. I think it will be closest to like Mario 64 or Banjo Kazooie. I actually think even those games are probably a lot more linear than Super Mario Odyssey will be. Super Mario Odyssey seems like it's kind of an attempt at a more open world Mario adventure.

Nintendo seems to be riding this open world bandwagon very hard. It makes me wonder if Pokemon will be less linear or we will get a Fire Emblem game in the Dragonforce/ROTK style of choosing a faction and conquering the rest, or roaming the world as an adventurer.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I've been staying pretty blind on Odyssey, but I do think it will be it's own style of game, despite most people saying it's a return to the 64/sunshine style of games. Maybe an evolution of those games is a better word.

From what I can see, there look to be a good mix of galaxy style linear platforming and more open 64 style exploration. I think the game is going to have a ton of little hidden surprises.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Do we have to use split joy cons for this game’s optimal experience? If so, I will have to get another pair. Both my sets were from launch so they both have the left joy con issue of desyncing.
I intend to live forever, or die trying