Super Mario Odyssey

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.

How many Moons have you collected?

10%
1-199
No votes
200-399
30%
400-599
30%
600-749
10%
750-899
10%
900-998
No votes
10%

Total votes: 10

Jordan

Re: Super Mario Odyssey

Post by Jordan »

I don't bother with split joycons. I just play it handheld mode with the joycons attached.

I''ve finished about three worlds so far, but I haven't been really searching out extra moons. I like the desert level the best out of the three I've experienced. It's pretty vast and has a lot of fun shit. I love taking control of the bullet bills.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

I play in handheld mode and I've been seeing a lot of notices about motion controls in the game, but I've found there is in fact a buttom combination for everything so far. For instance though the game ever tells me I cab throw my hat in a circle with motion, it turns out if you spin the control stick in a circle and throw you do the move just fine.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

The game tells you at the start that handheld mode with joycons attached is a control option. I have no idea why they push the idea of separating the joycons out. You can definitely do everything in handheld mode or playing with the controller on TV. Maybe they just thought that motion control was a better way to experience the game. Whatever at that, though.

I spent a long time fucking around in the desert, getting the jaxi moons, the moons in the space area where you don't have cappy and the fishing moons. I think I'm at like 48 moons at the moment. The desert level is really a lot of fun. I unlocked the wooded world but I'm done for the night.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote: 28 Oct 2017 06:19 The game tells you at the start that handheld mode with joycons attached is a control option. I have no idea why they push the idea of separating the joycons out. You can definitely do everything in handheld mode or playing with the controller on TV. Maybe they just thought that motion control was a better way to experience the game. Whatever at that, though.

I spent a long time fucking around in the desert, getting the jaxi moons, the moons in the space area where you don't have cappy and the fishing moons. I think I'm at like 48 moons at the moment. The desert level is really a lot of fun. I unlocked the wooded world but I'm done for the night.
I spent a lot of time on the desert as well, but I still have to go back for plenty more. I thought cascade kingdom was a pretty straight forward level, but then I watched my friend play it and realized there was a lot there I missed. Went back to it, but I'm still missing about 8 moons there and 4 coins.

The only moves I don't think you can do without motion are throwing cappy directly up and down, and the homing move (after throwing cappy shake and he'll target the closest object).

I've been messing around with the moves a lot, turns out you can get pretty far using the cap jump coupled with a dive move.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Oddly, I didn't like the wooded kingdom much. Some of the challenges in the wooded kingdom were frustrating. I hate the one with the fog. I'm not really a fan of top down camera angles when you control the frogs (cappy kingdom) or stretchy leg minions (wooded kingdom) either.

I get the feeling I'm not going to like the lake level, as the underwater stuff doesn't seem particularly appealing. It might be better with taking control of cheep cheeps or something though.

The desert level is where I've had the most fun so far, but I went back and re-did the Cascade Kingdom after reading Shoe's post. It's actually not too bad. It had a lot of fun stuff in it that opens up once you beat the broodal.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote: 29 Oct 2017 20:36 Oddly, I didn't like the wooded kingdom much. Some of the challenges in the wooded kingdom were frustrating. I hate the one with the fog. I'm not really a fan of top down camera angles when you control the frogs (cappy kingdom) or stretchy leg minions (wooded kingdom) either.

I get the feeling I'm not going to like the lake level, as the underwater stuff doesn't seem particularly appealing. It might be better with taking control of cheep cheeps or something though.

The desert level is where I've had the most fun so far, but I went back and re-did the Cascade Kingdom after reading Shoe's post. It's actually not too bad. It had a lot of fun stuff in it that opens up once you beat the broodal.
I played more of the wooden kingdom today actually, as I left the world after the broodals battle the first time. I didn't realize just how big this kingdom was, it's actually turning out to be one of my favorites. The music is great and the level has so many secrets around every corner.

Lost Kingdom was pretty neat, and Metro Kingdom had a really cool sequence leading up to it and all the way through.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Here I am thinking I've done about as well as I can in this RC car race and it turns out Spore beat me by a second...
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

Brought it down a bit further for you.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Played for about an hour tonight and am really enjoying it. Im in the sand world right now. I have obly played with split joycon, but will try the pro controller next. I feel like I will lrefer that, but it was worth trying the split joy cons. Is there a way we can have a sticky post where we can share the number of moons we have collected? 🌙
I intend to live forever, or die trying
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kreegs wrote: 08 Nov 2017 04:24 Played for about an hour tonight and am really enjoying it. Im in the sand world right now. I have obly played with split joycon, but will try the pro controller next. I feel like I will lrefer that, but it was worth trying the split joy cons. Is there a way we can have a sticky post where we can share the number of moons we have collected? 🌙
Like a new thread or a post within this thread that stays at the top? I imagine a poll could be implemented.

I currently have around 650 moons, maybe a little more. Still finding some pretty surprising moons along the way, it's not just repeat moons near the end.

Now that it's been 10 days, my play lot says I've played over 40 hours of the game. Not bad!