Best 3D Mario?

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.

What's the best 3D Mario game?

Super Mario 64 (N64)
13%
Super Mario Sunshine (GCN)
8%
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
33%
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
17%
Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
No votes
Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
8%
Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
21%

Total votes: 24

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Best 3D Mario?

Post by Kong Wen »

Super Mario Odyssey just came out on Switch. It's the best game that has ever existed in any genre, at least until people's fangasms have a chance to cool down in a month or so. So with that in mind, it's time for a community poll!

What's the best 3D Mario game?
  • Everyone has two (2) votes.
  • You're allowed to give both votes to the same game if you feel strongly enough. The dropdown in the poll indicates how many votes you're casting for that option.
  • You're also allowed to change your votes if you change your mind, since this isn't a contest and vote manipulation after seeing the results doesn't benefit anyone.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Jordan

Re: Best 3D Mario?

Post by Jordan »

It's too early to say on Odyssey, so I'll reserve my vote. Super Mario Galaxy 2 will get one of my votes though. I thought it was better than Galaxy in every way, and since Galaxy was already great this made Galaxy 2 super great. It basically felt like it fixed the piss easy difficulty of Galaxy while keeping everything that made Galaxy fantastic. My other vote goes to either 64 or Odyssey depending on how much I like Odyssey.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Jordan wrote: 28 Oct 2017 07:10 It's too early to say on Odyssey, so I'll reserve my vote. Super Mario Galaxy 2 will get one of my votes though. I thought it was better than Galaxy in every way, and since Galaxy was already great this made Galaxy 2 super great. It basically felt like it fixed the piss easy difficulty of Galaxy while keeping everything that made Galaxy fantastic. My other vote goes to either 64 or Odyssey depending on how much I like Odyssey.
This poll will let you change votes indefinitely, so you can always vote for what you like now, and then come back and factor Odyssey in when you've had time to think about it more.
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

Confession: I think I prefer 3D World over the Galaxy games. I can't put my finger on why, though.

As of now, my vote goes to Sunshine and Odyssey, though. I'm loving Odyssey, but Sunshine holds a special place in my heart.

I was never a fan of SM64, though I will always respect that game for what it brought to the gaming industry. Pretty sure I never really played SM64 for more than an hour or two until the GameCube or Wii eras, so I don't really have the nostalgia with it. It aged poorly, as did a lot of games from that time.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Might be too preemptive to say, but I think odyssey takes the cake.

I have replayed 64 recently and it's great, but odyssey I'd on another level. 3D World is very good, but I don't think it beats out the other 3D games.

It's been too long since I've played the galaxies or sunshine though. I want to say Galaxy 2 is the better one of those. Galaxy 1 had the wow factor of moving Mario in these gravity defying environments but I think galaxy 2 really refined what was introduced in the first and added sooo much more in terms of variety.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

SM64 - Aged badly
Sunshine - Yet to play
Galaxy - I played Galaxy 2 first so this games just worse imo.
Galaxy 2 - My first 3d mario and I loved it.
3d land - Fun but nothing great
3d world - yet to play
Odyssey - Easily my favorite.

Currently giving Odyssey 1 and Galaxy 2 1 until I finish Odyssey and fully decide.
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

Now that I'm pretty much done with Odyssey, I had to change my vote. It's not sticking with me as much as I was hoping. I think I actually like 3D World (and its many variations of powerups) better. But they are different kinds of Mario platformers, so that's important to keep in mind too.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

evildevil97 wrote: 04 Dec 2017 05:22 Now that I'm pretty much done with Odyssey, I had to change my vote. It's not sticking with me as much as I was hoping. I think I actually like 3D World (and its many variations of powerups) better. But they are different kinds of Mario platformers, so that's important to keep in mind too.
3D World is oddly underrated within the Mario pantheon, if such a thing is possible.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

The answer is Galaxy 1 and it is not close.
You got BOOST power!
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Claytone wrote: 04 Dec 2017 17:39 The answer is Galaxy 1 and it is not close.
What makes it better than 2?