Anime/Manga Thread

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Starmancer
☆Magic Man☆

Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Starmancer »

Obligatory. Not sure if this'll get any use, but still.

Guess I'll start with two questions: What's your favorite anime? Favorite Manga?

Also, read/watch anything lately?

My favorite anime is Mobile Suit Gundam, especially the OVAs: War in the Pocket, Stardust Memories, 08th MS Team, and UC.

I really like Giant Robots, but these ones also have really good stories, especially War in the Pocket.

Never really read much manga, but I did like Monster from a while back. Been thinking of trying more manga, actually, but I tend to lean towards action stuff, which doesn't work for me as just still pictures with words...if I could find another thriller or something like that, I think I'd be good.

Anyways, lately I've been watching Hunter X Hunter, which is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. On episode 122, and I'm only recently growing weary of it. It keeps getting better, but my attention span only lasts so long. So as a break I'm rewatching Dragon Ball. Up to episode 8 now, and I'm having a lot of fun. I can't help but enjoy this much more than DBZ.

...now I've got the urge to check out Franken Fran. It'd be a change of pace, at least.
Backloggery

Look Ma, Imma Star!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Anime/Manga Thread

Post by Kong Wen »

My favourite anime is The Guyver: Bio-Booster Armor (the 1989-1992 series).

I've never read a manga, to my knowledge.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Starmancer
☆Magic Man☆

Post by Starmancer »

Kong Wen wrote:My favourite anime is The Guyver: Bio-Booster Armor (the 1989-1992 series).
I always meant to watch that one. I've heard a lot of good things.
Backloggery

Look Ma, Imma Star!
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

Mickeymac wrote:Guess I'll start with two questions: What's your favorite anime? Favorite Manga?
Also, read/watch anything lately?

My favorite anime is Mobile Suit Gundam, especially the OVAs: War in the Pocket, Stardust Memories, 08th MS Team, and UC.
My favorite is probably either Black Lagoon or Rose of Versailles. I'll also give Gatchaman a mention(which I originally saw as the dubbed G-Force, which was pretty cool in its own right), as I like the angular designs. Nowadays it's easier to find English subs of other 70s Tatsunoko stuff like Casshan for example but I haven't watched any of them. Not that interested I guess, even though at one point I so wanted to see them. Actually I haven't watched any anime in years to be honest, I'm not really sure how much I'd actually like most of the stuff I used to(with the exception of Rose of Versailles' girly drama, which I know for a fact I still enjoy). I think I like the theme songs in anime more than the actual shows. I thought about checking out that Space Dandy series, but never did so.

The only Gundam series I have seen are the original and Gundam Wing. I also started Zeta Gundam at one point but wasn't able to finish it.

I have never really gotten into manga.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

I've recently re-watched the Robotech series (+ some spinoffs). It's a series I watched on TV as a youngster and read paperbacks of on my way to/from college later on. Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed are some of the other anime I've got access to and like. DBZ is also a series that can keep me entertained.

Don't know if Star Wars: The Clone Wars falls in the anime category, but they're in my collection. And I have to mention Avatar as well, still need to get the second Avatar series.

Hmm, this thread made me put Ghost in the Shell on my next to watch (again) list.
Grt. Merlin

Starmancer
☆Magic Man☆

Post by Starmancer »

@TheGreatNads

Rose of Versailles was pretty good from what I saw of it. Actually, thanks for the reminder, I never did get to finish it. I'm sure Viki has all the episodes by now.

@MerlinDrazziw

I loved RoboTech, used to be one of my favorites. I was recently started watching Macross to see how that was. I'm not sure, but I think I might still prefer the Robotech: Macross Saga more, though I've been trying to see it as its own thing. Still good, of course.

Also, I could never keep up with Ghost in the Shell on Toonami - always missed the first episode, and then I'd be completely lost. It's been on my "to marathon" list for forever, dunno why I never got to it. Also want to check out the original movie, which seems like it'd be pretty cool from the clips I happened upon.

Also...Franken Fran = Bad idea. Really underestimated how sick and gorey it was. Might give it another shot around Holloween, but not before. Definitely want to read something, though...
Backloggery

Look Ma, Imma Star!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kong Wen wrote:My favourite anime is The Guyver: Bio-Booster Armor (the 1989-1992 series).

Make no mistake, it's awful and hilarious. But I first saw it when I was a kid, and the combination of awesome monsters and hilarious English VA etched it into my memory.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Starmancer
☆Magic Man☆

Post by Starmancer »

EDIT: Also, found a decent blog that highlighted a bunch of seemingly interesting manga. Cherry picked about a dozen of them and will be checking them out soon-ish.
Kong Wen wrote:

Make no mistake, it's awful and hilarious. But I first saw it when I was a kid, and the combination of awesome monsters and hilarious English VA etched it into my memory.
That's what I meant by good things. :P I like weird 90's OVAs.
Backloggery

Look Ma, Imma Star!
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Starmancer wrote:@MerlinDrazziw

I loved RoboTech, used to be one of my favorites. I was recently started watching Macross to see how that was. I'm not sure, but I think I might still prefer the Robotech: Macross Saga more, though I've been trying to see it as its own thing. Still good, of course.
Macros Saga is the original Robotech, Macros Plus is some kind of spin off that leans on the original. I still think I'm missing some episodes from the original series as I remember seeing them on TV. So far, I got episodes 1 - 85 (Macros Saga - The Masters - New Generations) with Shadow Chronicles that was made later on. What I remember is episodes of the 'away' mission at the planets of the masters or someone else.
Grt. Merlin

Starmancer
☆Magic Man☆

Post by Starmancer »

MerlinDrazziw wrote:
Starmancer wrote:@MerlinDrazziw

Macros Saga is the original Robotech, Macros Plus is some kind of spin off that leans on the original. I still think I'm missing some episodes from the original series as I remember seeing them on TV. So far, I got episodes 1 - 85 (Macros Saga - The Masters - New Generations) with Shadow Chronicles that was made later on. What I remember is episodes of the 'away' mission at the planets of the masters or someone else.
Maybe you're thinking of the "RoboTech movie", which was actually just an adaption of Megazone 23?
Backloggery

Look Ma, Imma Star!