WiiWare

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

WiiWare

Post by Kong Wen »

I remember (and I bet a lot of you do, too) hanging around at the old VC-Forums before WiiWare was even invented. A decade later, Nintendo is pulling the plug on the now-ancient retro system's esoteric shop service that brought us all together. Not tomorrow, but imminently.

Kotaku has posted an interesting list of games to download before the service becomes inaccessible. A good way to hang onto those weird games that are unavailable anywhere else.

What are some WiiWare classics and/or oddities that you'd recommend everyone check out while they still can?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Re: WiiWare

Post by kitroplious »

All the remaining games from Konami (including from the now defunct Hudson Soft.), they’ve made WiiWare worth it the most, third party wise.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I spent a lot of time with final fantasy crystal chronicles my life as a king. Not sure if it has been ported elsewhere. You'd basically set up your party to take on adventures and battles, but wouldn't go with them because you were the king. Instead you stayed in town and worked on infrastructure, citizen concerns and whatnot. Then you would reap the reward of the adventurers, it was great.

I also liked Pop, made by Nnnnooooo, or something like that. You popped bubbles on screen, and somehow it had a lot of depth and very atmospheric music.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
evildevil97
Adept

Post by evildevil97 »

I think they eventually released an updated version on disc, but I loved some of the special modes in Tetris Party. Even with the internet play gone, it's still worth looking at.

Blaster Master Overdrive might be worth a look, too. I think Zero is a better game, but Overdrive was worthy at the time.