Nintendo Cardboard Edition - Nintendo Labo

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Nintendo Cardboard Edition - Nintendo Labo

Post by The Shoemaker »

Jordan wrote: 19 Jan 2018 00:26
mermaids
I just don't see this getting much support from Nintendo. It seems exactly like something where after the initial kit, they never do anything else with it again. .
They showed off 8 creations in the reveal video that aren't included in either of the current sets. At the very least it looks like another variety pack and another focused pack (like the robot) are planned.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

At some point, I think it will just inconspicuously drop out of existence as people get tired of the fad. The only way that won't happen is if somehow this becomes some kind of major cultural sensation, which I just don't see happening as they are targeting such a narrow demographic here. People are all praising Nintendo's genius for reaching out to a new demographic but I think they are making a mistake, which I didn't really think with the Wii or other efforts by them to branch out. With the Wii, they expanded their demographic but also still could appeal to pretty much everybody. With this it's just specifically tailored to people who have kids, like DIY projects and are willing to buy both a Switch and a Labo to play. I hate this thing so much. It's the worst thing I've ever seen Nintendo make. The Virtual Boy looks good in comparison. At least that had Wario.
Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

Post by Ouenben »

Jordan wrote: 19 Jan 2018 14:04 At some point, I think it will just inconspicuously drop out of existence as people get tired of the fad. The only way that won't happen is if somehow this becomes some kind of major cultural sensation, which I just don't see happening as they are targeting such a narrow demographic here. People are all praising Nintendo's genius for reaching out to a new demographic but I think they are making a mistake, which I didn't really think with the Wii or other efforts by them to branch out. With the Wii, they expanded their demographic but also still could appeal to pretty much everybody. With this it's just specifically tailored to people who have kids, like DIY projects and are willing to buy both a Switch and a Labo to play. I hate this thing so much. It's the worst thing I've ever seen Nintendo make. The Virtual Boy looks good in comparison. At least that had Wario.
Kids, parents, and grown-ups who like to build and create things (big kids) aren't a narrow demographic. I get that it's not for you but you being unable to understand what Nintendo is trying to do here doesn't make it a mistake. They will have done their research and if it sells well (which pre-orders suggest it well) then it will be a success. If it leads to new Switch console sales, and some of those new switch owners go on to buy other software it will be a success. After the Wii U's lacklustre sales I don't blame Nintendo for wanting to try something new and reach a new audience with the Switch.
I don't understand the hate, it's not going to affect you: you won't be forced to buy one, it won't prevent games you want coming to Switch, it won't drive Switch software prices up.

I have no desire to buy/play any of the Skylanders/Lego Dimensions games, they look like a waste of money and not particularly fun to me, but I don't get pissed off about their existence.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Only way I'd be pissed off is if they announce some new labo thing for the holiday season and expect that to be the system seller for the holidays instead of getting a AAA game.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I don't understand the hate, it's not going to affect you: you won't be forced to buy one, it won't prevent games you want coming to Switch, it won't drive Switch software prices up.
It depends. The best case scenario for me is that it does well initially and then perishes out of existence. The second best case scenario is that it does well but other Nintendo and third party games on the system sell much better. If it does well and keeps doing well while other Nintendo properties flounder, Nintendo will take it as a sign to invest more in stuff like this, stuff that I don't care about.

Slurmee's point above is an example of my concern with the Nintendo Labo's existence.
Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

Post by Ouenben »

Did Nintendo stop making AAA games after they released Amiibo, Wii sports, AR games, Wii music , Brain training or their mobile games etc?
Nintendo trying to increase their audience by reaching new demographics doesn't mean they're going to stop making games. I see Labo as a new platform (that works with Switch ) to appeal to those who wouldn't necessarily go for Nintendo switch or even to offer something that younger Xbox /playstation gamers would want. Many of those new Labo /Switch users could go on to pick up games they'd never have bought if it weren't for Labo bringing them to the Switch.
Success/failure of Labo is definitely not something to be concerned about as far as affecting you or the games you play or want to play
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Ouenben wrote: 27 Jan 2018 00:34 Did Nintendo stop making AAA games after they released Amiibo, Wii sports, AR games, Wii music , Brain training or their mobile games etc?
Nintendo trying to increase their audience by reaching new demographics doesn't mean they're going to stop making games. I see Labo as a new platform (that works with Switch ) to appeal to those who wouldn't necessarily go for Nintendo switch or even to offer something that younger Xbox /playstation gamers would want. Many of those new Labo /Switch users could go on to pick up games they'd never have bought if it weren't for Labo bringing them to the Switch.
Success/failure of Labo is definitely not something to be concerned about as far as affecting you or the games you play or want to play
Yeah I agree my example I doubt will ever happen.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Some really bizarre doomsaying in here. Really bizarre. I hope this thing is as cool as it looks, I hope it sells like hotcakes, and I hope that leads to expansion of the project. Nintendo is doing something innovative here, something akin to Lego's higher concept lines, and I love everything I've seen about it.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I won't go near it, but I don't think it will sink the company.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

This should have been wood, not cardboard! :lol: