Your 2018 Game(s) of the Year!

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: Your 2018 Game(s) of the Year!

Post by SkyPikachu »

• Best game(s) of 2018.
    1. Reverie
    2. Iconoclasts
  • Best game you played in 2018 that didn't really come out in 2018. (Games I've beaten or played a lot of)
    1. Mad Max
    2. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
    3. Rayman Legends
    4. Super Metroid
    5. Littlebigplanet Vita
    6. Knack
    7. Crash Bandicoot (1) HD
    8. Driver San Francisco
  • Biggest disappointment of 2018.
    1. Playstation announcing PS+ going down to 2 games a month instead of staying at 6
    2. No Animal Crossing Switch Announcement (Yet)
    3. No Virtual Console Announcement (Yet)
    4. No Metroid Prime Trilogy Port (Yet)
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kong Wen wrote: 22 Feb 2018 16:43 Celeste and Monster Hunter: World are definitely on my list so far.
I haven't even played it yet, but I'm slotting God of War in here somewhere because the game is getting incredible reviews and looks fantastic. It's going to be an industry darling, and hard to beat in some of the bigger, "official" GotY contests.

Borrowing it from my brother here soon, so I'll have an actual informed opinion.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 08 May 2018 19:30
Kong Wen wrote: 22 Feb 2018 16:43 Celeste and Monster Hunter: World are definitely on my list so far.
I haven't even played it yet, but I'm slotting God of War in here somewhere because the game is getting incredible reviews and looks fantastic. It's going to be an industry darling, and hard to beat in some of the bigger, "official" GotY contests.

Borrowing it from my brother here soon, so I'll have an actual informed opinion.
It’s more of an experience than a game. I actually haven’t played it much lately though to be fair i have a month of game pass right now so trying to try as many games as possible.

The gameplay isn’t overally fun while the story so far is great and the visuals are too.

I have no doubt it will win GOTY unless RDR2 blows everyone away but it’s more a good interactive story than a game.

It’s not bad by any means though.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

• Best game(s) of 2018.
    1. Reverie
    2. Iconoclasts
    3. God of War
  • Best game you played in 2018 that didn't really come out in 2018. (Games I've beaten or played a lot of)
    1. Fable Anniversary
    2. Mad Max
    3. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
    4. Rayman Legends
    5. Super Metroid
    6. Super Lucky's Tale
    7. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
    8. Littlebigplanet Vita
    9. Knack
    10. Crash Bandicoot (1) HD
    1. Playstation announcing PS+ going down to 2 games a month instead of staying at 6
    2. No Animal Crossing Switch Announcement (Yet)
    3. No Virtual Console Announcement (Yet)
    4. No Metroid Prime Trilogy Port (Yet)
  • Biggest disappointment of 2018 that didn't really come out in 2018.
    1. Mighty No. 9
    2. Re-core
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote: 09 May 2018 00:36
Kong Wen wrote: 08 May 2018 19:30 I haven't even played it yet, but I'm slotting God of War in here somewhere because the game is getting incredible reviews and looks fantastic. It's going to be an industry darling, and hard to beat in some of the bigger, "official" GotY contests.
It’s more of an experience than a game. [...] it’s more a good interactive story than a game.
Not really sure what this means. It's not like a visual novel where you press X to change the page and keep reading. It's a linear action game, like the other games in the series. I'm not seeing any major startling gameplay departures so far. There are minor progression puzzles, combo-based combat, a level/gear progression system... all pretty typical gameplay elements.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 09 Jun 2018 02:14
Kong Wen wrote: 08 May 2018 19:30 I haven't even played it yet, but I'm slotting God of War in here somewhere because the game is getting incredible reviews and looks fantastic. It's going to be an industry darling, and hard to beat in some of the bigger, "official" GotY contests.
It’s more of an experience than a game. [...] it’s more a good interactive story than a game.
Not really sure what this means. It's not like a visual novel where you press X to change the page and keep reading. It's a linear action game, like the other games in the series. I'm not seeing any major startling gameplay departures so far. There are minor progression puzzles, combo-based combat, a level/gear progression system... all pretty typical gameplay elements.
The gameplay elements isn't mind blowing and I believe the visuals and the story is it strongest point so for anyone wanting a gameplay driven game I feel wouldn't enjoy it plus there's a lot of "cutscenes" though they don't actually cut away it's still story driven moments with no talking or just where you're walking forward slowly.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote: 09 Jun 2018 02:54
The gameplay elements isn't mind blowing and I believe the visuals and the story is it strongest point so for anyone wanting a gameplay driven game I feel wouldn't enjoy it plus there's a lot of "cutscenes" though they don't actually cut away it's still story driven moments with no talking or just where you're walking forward slowly.
By that definition, 50% of games are not games, just story-driven experiences. Just because an action-heavy, gameplay-heavy adventure game also has a good narrative doesn't mean it's not a game.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 09 Jun 2018 18:36
Slurmee wrote: 09 Jun 2018 02:54

By that definition, 50% of games are not games, just story-driven experiences. Just because an action-heavy, gameplay-heavy adventure game also has a good narrative doesn't mean it's not a game.
I never actually said it wasn’t a game and it’s just my opinion/take on it. It’s still fun nonetheless.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I'll sort these into proper categories as we get closer to the end of the year, but 2018 really picked up steam, and there are a lot of strong contenders for a variety of "best ____ of 2018" awards here.

Top Contenders:

Celeste
Monster Hunter: World
God of War
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

Runners-up / Participation Trophy:

Hollow Knight (2017 on PC)
WarioWare Gold
Secret of Mana (remake)
Pit People (spent a long time in early access)

To Be Played & Determined / Unreleased:

Owlboy
Red Dead Redemption 2
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
Mega Man 11
Spider-Man
Guacamelee! 2
Into the Breach
The Messenger
Octopath Traveler
Night in the Woods
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
The Swords of Ditto
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

• Best game(s) of 2018.
    Unranked due to lack of games
    • Reverie
    • Iconoclasts
    • God of War
    Yet to play
    • Celeste
    • Unravel Two
    • Spider-man
    • Red Dead Redemption 2
    • Hollow Knight
    • Mega Man 11
    • Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu
    • Pode
    1st - Fable Anniversary
    Runners up (I'll make a 2nd/3rd/4th/5th at the end of the year)
    • Mad Max
    • Mirror's Edge Catalyst
    • Rayman Legends
    • Super Metroid
    • Super Lucky's Tale
    • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
    • Littlebigplanet Vita
    • Knack
    • Crash Bandicoot (1) HD
    • Super Mario 3D World
    • Skate 3
    • Shovel Knight
    • Pokemon Platinum
    • Super Meat Boy
    • God of War
    1. Nintendo's 2018 lineup
    2. Playstation announcing PS+ going down to 2 games a month instead of staying at 6
    ---

Considering Nintendo's 2018 lineup is 99.99% set for the rest of the year I thought I'd change up my biggest disappointment of 2018 to "Nintendo's 2018 lineup" this was a terrible year personally I bought my switch for 1st party games and the games launching this year were pretty average.

Super Smash Bros - This was clearly their big game and I honestly have never gotten into the series the game just feels button mashy to me (like all fighting games) So while this is fantastic for a lot of people this is a nothing game for me and Nintendo can't put all it's eggs into one basket.

Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee - Maybe I'll love this as I'm going to rent it from the library but it just seems like a half assed version of the game that's going to suck.

The World Ends with You: Final Remix - I was going to buy and or rent this but ended up not after everyong said it's unplayable docked. This was the game I was hyped for and it's a huge let down.

Super Mario Party, Ninteno Labo, Mario Tennis Aces - Filler crap

Octopath Traveler - I heard this was decent

Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido - This was a case of cool story and poor gameplay.

Kirby Star Allies - Kirby filler heard it was bad.

In the end you're looking at 1 good launch game so far with 2 other yet to launch lets assumed Smash is good and Pokemon is average and you've got 2 good games for the year. 1 in a genre I hate. Really sad. Also no VC. Added online but didn't improve anything and the switch still feels like it's in alpha. It's really been the low light of the year.

Compared to last years Zelda, Mario, Mario + Rabbids, Splatoon 2, Free online and excusing the terrible software due to it being launch year.