Pier Solar

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Pier Solar

Post by The Shoemaker »

Speaking of games coming out on older consoles years later

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/234200-just ... u-and-snes

Though in this case it's being developed for the Wii U and SNES, rather than specifically for the SNES then being ported later.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

The Shoemaker wrote:Speaking of games coming out on older consoles years later

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/234200-just ... u-and-snes

Though in this case it's being developed for the Wii U and SNES, rather than specifically for the SNES then being ported later.
It will be interesting how/if Nintendo reacts to this, but they probably won't care! :lol:
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Just got an email from the team: Pier Solar HD is coming out next week!!! (30 September) for PS3, PS4, Steam, and Ouya.

Xbox One, Wii U, and Sega Dreamcast release dates will be announced in October.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Niahak

Post by Niahak »

I'll be holding off on this unless it's massively improved over the original Genesis version. Ended up getting another console for it since my old Genesis was a couple thousand miles away.

It was okay enough, I guess, but it had some massive balance issues (some characters were useless), the color palette and sprite design made it really hard to figure out what was navigable or touchable, and the narrative was bland through the point I left off (around 5 hours or so). The difficulty was finally starting to level out a bit, so it's quite possible I stopped right where it got good.

A lot of people in the fan translation / hacking scene seemed to think it was really good, but I really didn't understand the appeal. As a technical achievement, it was really cool. As a game, it just wasn't very fun. I hope the HD remake is better than I remember, though!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Niahak wrote:I'll be holding off on this unless it's massively improved over the original Genesis version. Ended up getting another console for it since my old Genesis was a couple thousand miles away.

It was okay enough, I guess, but it had some massive balance issues (some characters were useless), the color palette and sprite design made it really hard to figure out what was navigable or touchable, and the narrative was bland through the point I left off (around 5 hours or so). The difficulty was finally starting to level out a bit, so it's quite possible I stopped right where it got good.

A lot of people in the fan translation / hacking scene seemed to think it was really good, but I really didn't understand the appeal. As a technical achievement, it was really cool. As a game, it just wasn't very fun. I hope the HD remake is better than I remember, though!
I haven't played it myself, but I remember the general sentiment towards the game being similar to what you said in your last line: it was an interesting labour of love, and it was interesting to see just how much people could do with old tech using modern methods, but the game itself was mediocre. I think people got hyped up over the former point and then expected too much out of the latter (it wasn't going to be Chrono Trigger, despite how it may have positioned itself).

Did you get a copy of the Genesis version?

The colour palette and sprite issues should be better in the HD version, but I doubt they will have addressed the writing and the balancing. I could be wrong, though!
Niahak

Post by Niahak »

Kong Wen wrote: Did you get a copy of the Genesis version?

The colour palette and sprite issues should be better in the HD version, but I doubt they will have addressed the writing and the balancing. I could be wrong, though!
Yeah, I ordered it quite a while ago (I want to say 2009 or so), back when it was still in development - I think they initially sold out of their planned run, then reopened the orders and that's when I got in.

I really do hope they fix the palette issues. That was a frustration early on as I missed an area and spent half an hour or more looking for it because I didn't realize I could walk someplace. And with such a niche audience it was hard to track down any info on where I should be going!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I just got my code a few minutes ago and I'm downloading this right now. I don't know if I'll get started tonight, but I do hope to start soon. I'll post some impressions as soon as I can. :)
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Wii U version will be coming out on 6 November, which is two weeks from today.
Ausden
RPG Aficionado

Post by Ausden »

Pre-ordered the Genesis version along with the guide book, but since I am very impatient, I picked up the PS3 version on the PSN. What a great looking game and a must for an RPG lover!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Ausden wrote:Pre-ordered the Genesis version along with the guide book, but since I am very impatient, I picked up the PS3 version on the PSN. What a great looking game and a must for an RPG lover!
It's great-looking, that's for sure. Unfortunately, it's a bit less polished (from a design standpoint) than the games that clearly inspired it. It almost feels like it was designed by RPG fans instead of game designers, kind of the video game equivalent of fanfiction, if that makes any sense.

Still, it's always nice to see this kind of content-rich RPG on offer in this day and age.

Post pictures of the Genesis version when it comes in!