Battlefield V ditches season pass and adds a new paid system.

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Battlefield V ditches season pass and adds a new paid system.

Post by SkyPikachu »

Edit: Tides of War seems to be free so my whole post becomes moot. Free DLC is always great however people coming in late missing out on content and the base game possibly missing a ton of content when the next game launches is still an issue unless they decide to bring everything back when Battlefield VI releases.

I don’t plan on buying the game but read an article about how they were ditching the season pass and adding something new.

“Battlefield 5 calls its live service Tides of War, and this mode will launch a month after the main game's October 19 release date. Instead of a "season," Tides of War will offer players "Chapters" to play through. Each Chapter will be available for two to three months (exact length hasn't been nailed down) and will include themed multiplayer events, co-op missions, and War Stories. Once that Chapter is over though, it's over. No going back and replaying old content - such is the nature of the games as a service model.”

This sounds downright terrible. Why would I pay for DLC that I don’t get to keep after already buying the $60 base game. I understand that I’ve been praising game pass lately but that gives me access to content “forever” as long as I keep subscribing and has 100+ games while this DLC is locked away forever after a few months.

1. This sucks for people that buy the game late.
2. This sucks for anyone that buys the DLC and never finishes it.
3. This most likely means when Battlefield VI comes out that Battlefield V will be pretty close to the base game of all DLC is limited time only.

Full article can be found here.

What’s your opinion on the change?
Last edited by SkyPikachu on 24 May 2018 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Battlefield V ditches season pass and adds a new paid system.

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote: 23 May 2018 23:56 Edit: Tides of War seems to be free so my whole post becomes mute.
Moot.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 24 May 2018 13:50
Slurmee wrote: 23 May 2018 23:56 Edit: Tides of War seems to be free so my whole post becomes mute.
Moot.
How did I mess than up they even sound different :oops:
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

In the interests of adding a comment that's not snarky:

I honestly haven't been paying enough attention to this game to really know what they're planning on doing with it, but I can see this kind of growing pain becoming more and more common as big developers try to adapt to the changing market expectations around loot boxes, pay-to-play, freemium, etc. models.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 24 May 2018 15:00 In the interests of adding a comment that's not snarky:

I honestly haven't been paying enough attention to this game to really know what they're planning on doing with it, but I can see this kind of growing pain becoming more and more common as big developers try to adapt to the changing market expectations around loot boxes, pay-to-play, freemium, etc. models.
I hope they fine a good solution to the problem. I don’t play enough multiplayer shooters to know the answers though. For single player games I think DLC can work fine but with multiplayer they just can’t seem to find the sweet spot. Not my problem though and honestly not really something that’s going to bother me a much since I rarely touch multiplayer shooters
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

That's actually one of those weird things where I don't understand the reason for making individual chapters unavailable. It's unique content, you'd think they'd want as many people to play it as possible. Feels like it's taking the idea of live service stuff and forgetting what it's supposed to be used for.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons