Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Post by Kong Wen »

Now that we know more about this game (a lot more, thanks to a very detailed E3 Direct), let's give it a dedicated thread for the die-hards.

You want mechanics & meta discussions? Chat about Smash tourneys? Epic bantz? Captain Falcon memes? This is the place. Oh, we can also organize our own games.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
evildevil97
Adept

Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Post by evildevil97 »

The fact that every character is back is such a huge thing. And while it's never been explicitly stated, it's looking like all the past stages are making returns too.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Unless they make a really long cord, Im probably not able to play wired with my current set up. (See my set up in the set up thread)

The gamecube controller is great and I have a brand new one still in box, but the pro controller is so good that it might work just fine.

Because of the release date, I bet I will ens up holding off on this until Christmas.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

evildevil97 wrote: 13 Jun 2018 23:21 The fact that every character is back is such a huge thing. And while it's never been explicitly stated, it's looking like all the past stages are making returns too.
If they didn't include all the old stages, it would be a real missed opportunity. I certainly recognized a lot of them from the feature-length documentary they showed alongside E3. ;)
Kreegs wrote: 13 Jun 2018 23:26 Unless they make a really long cord, Im probably not able to play wired with my current set up. (See my set up in the set up thread)

The gamecube controller is great and I have a brand new one still in box, but the pro controller is so good that it might work just fine.

Because of the release date, I bet I will ens up holding off on this until Christmas.
The wired GCN controller is for serious/hardcore tourney pros who won't stand for any degree of wireless latency/delay. The ProCon will be just fine for mere casuals. It would be really nice if they'd release a WaveBird-like wireless GCN controller or GCN-style JoyCons as a middle ground for people who don't care about plugging in but who really enjoy the GCN grip/layout.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

evildevil97 wrote: 13 Jun 2018 23:21 The fact that every character is back is such a huge thing. And while it's never been explicitly stated, it's looking like all the past stages are making returns too.
At this point they might do just that, there's already 80+ stages in the game!

This really feels like a game for the fans. All characters returning, Ridley is in, customization options like turning off stage hazards and including battlefield + omega forms for stages, finally updating Link, Zelda and Ganon's designs. So much there.

I do still hope they manage to add at least 10 new characters, and a fair amount of stages. Most importantly, I'm still hoping for great new single player modes.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote: 14 Jun 2018 01:12 I do still hope they manage to add at least 10 new characters, and a fair amount of stages. Most importantly, I'm still hoping for great new single player modes.
10 characters seems like a lot? Who would you like to see added after Daisy Ridley?

I think it would be great if there were no crazy single-player adventure and gauntlet modes to gum up the works. Just an arcade-style vs. mode and a training room, maybe with options/tiers to achieve based on mastering each character's moves and combos.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: 14 Jun 2018 13:31
The Shoemaker wrote: 14 Jun 2018 01:12 I do still hope they manage to add at least 10 new characters, and a fair amount of stages. Most importantly, I'm still hoping for great new single player modes.
10 characters seems like a lot? Who would you like to see added after Daisy Ridley?

I think it would be great if there were no crazy single-player adventure and gauntlet modes to gum up the works. Just an arcade-style vs. mode and a training room, maybe with options/tiers to achieve based on mastering each character's moves and combos.
Smash Wii U added 21 characters, so I feel like 10 is a nice balance. At the very least an even 70 characters, there's 66 now.

I don't personally have a lot of characters I think should be in, but it would be really cool to see either crash bandicoot or Rayman make it in. Funky Kong, Paper Mario, Rex + Pyra (Xenoblade 2), Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, ext.

See the extra modes are what really make me love smash. If the game was arcade only that would probably be the worst news I could imagine. Classic mode, All Star, Event mode, Master Challenges, those are all great. Smash Run from 3ds needs to return with online play, that mode was fantastic.

Also, I'd really like to see them make a new multiplayer mode where you choose multiple characters. For a single match. Like say you choose three characters and when you get KO'd that character is out and you have to use your next character.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I think they will only add 2-3 more. I can forgive them since they managed to bring literally everybody back, which in a way is adding a bunch of new characters to the Wii U version of the game (which I never played). Characters like Wolf, Ice Climbers and Young Link are probably going to feel a lot different from how they were before.

I'm not too fussed about who they add, but I have a bias toward franchises that aren't represented. Among third party I'd like to see Shantae and Travis Touchdown. Among unrepresented franchises, anything from a Custom Robo MK to a CO from Advance Wars or an Arms character is cool with me.
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

I’m sure this is known by now, but Nintendo confirmed this is all new game, but built on the Wii I version.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
neuzd
Ω

Post by neuzd »

Jordan wrote: 14 Jun 2018 21:53 I think they will only add 2-3 more. I can forgive them since they managed to bring literally everybody back, which in a way is adding a bunch of new characters to the Wii U version of the game (which I never played). Characters like Wolf, Ice Climbers and Young Link are probably going to feel a lot different from how they were before.

I'm not too fussed about who they add, but I have a bias toward franchises that aren't represented. Among third party I'd like to see Shantae and Travis Touchdown. Among unrepresented franchises, anything from a Custom Robo MK to a CO from Advance Wars or an Arms character is cool with me.
I'm really puzzled by the absence of any ARMS characters.