Octopath Traveler

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Octopath Traveler

Post by Kong Wen »

Has anyone been playing the demo of Octopath Traveler? The full game is coming out on Switch on 13 July.

The graphics are wonky in a good and/or bad way. It looks great but it also does some jittery, visually annoying stuff.

My feeling is that this is exactly the kind of game the Switch needs. As someone who hates handheld gaming unless absolutely necessary or in very specific cases (repetitive grinds, puzzles, anything that can be picked up and put down on a moment's notice in bed, etc.), this seems like the kind of RPG that will be friendly to play in fits and starts on the handheld as well as in dedicated sessions on the TV.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Octopath Traveler

Post by The Shoemaker »

I'm definitely looking forward to it, despite not knowing exactly how it will play. I tried the original demo and liked it, but I figured I'd wait for the full release rather than play the recently released demo.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I agree that this is an ideal game for the Switch. I would like to see more RPGs and non touch controlled rhythm games on the Switch in general. I'm pretty much the opposite of Kong. I prefer handheld gaming. That said, though, I think his assessment is spot on about the types of games that work best on a handheld device.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I’m worried about how spread out each story is and that it’ll will be frustrating restarting as a new character over and over again. I’m about 20 minutes into the demo.
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

Slurmee wrote: 04 Jul 2018 14:24 I’m worried about how spread out each story is and that it’ll will be frustrating restarting as a new character over and over again. I’m about 20 minutes into the demo.
You pretty much don't really need to reset as a new character over & over, you pretty much encounter each character along the way your journey & build up your party.
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I've been enjoying this game very much, clocked in just over 30 hours now. I've done a few chapter 2's and the chapter 1's for all characters.

I choose H'aanit as my original character, and it seems to have worked out not bad. Her beast taming ability has given her a lot of options in terms of breaking enemies, and in most cases she's the only one in my party with a bow or axe.

I've been rotating through characters to keep everyone roughly the same level. Everyone has their own strengths, but I'd say Alfyn is the least useful in his base class, though I haven't really been messing with his crafting abilities.

I'll also say I love the music in the game. Lots of really great pieces.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

An Octopath prequel is coming to mobile platforms in Japan this year. No word on a North American release date.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

They also mentioned a new console entry is in the works.

I don't have too much interest in a mobile title, but I imagine the art style would work well for the platform.