What generation is retro in your eyes in 2018

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.

What consoles are retro consoles in your eyes?

Gen 3 and Older - NES, Sega Master System, Atari 7800
No votes
Gen 4 and Older - SNES, Sega Genesis
25%
Gen 5 and Older - N64, PS1, Sega Saturn
33%
Gen 6 and Older - GameCube, PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast
25%
Gen 7 and Older - PS3, Xbox 360, Wii
17%

Total votes: 12

SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

What generation is retro in your eyes in 2018

Post by SkyPikachu »

As someone who grew up with a SNES (during the N64 era) then got more into the gaming market during 2007-2010 the retro scene to me was Gen 5 and Older. Considering stores weren’t selling a ton of gen 5 or older stock and that the PS2 generation still felt fairly recent and PS2 was still selling.

However it’s been about a decade and the times seemed to have gone a lot faster due to being older and being able to remember stuff more clearly then the first 10-15 years of my life did. So while the thing is I still struggle to see the PS2 as retro it was such a great console that lasted into this decade and the graphics are good enough and 3d enough to stand up okay to this day while Gen 5 didn’t even in 2007 and everything before that was 2D and regarding Gen 7 it’s even more confusing.

In 2007 the N64 was 10 years old in Australia and the PS1 being 12 years old and now it’s 2018 and the 360/Wii are 12 years old and the Ps3 is 11 years old however the 360/PS3 still feel very new to me and I struggle to classify them even remotely Retro especially since stores still sell games. (Not so much Wii)

So it led me to the question what is retro and what do people consider retro.

I made a poll regarding what the newest generation you think is retro.
Last edited by SkyPikachu on 27 Jun 2018 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: What generation is retro in your eyes in 2018

Post by Kong Wen »

I don't quite consider PS2 games retro yet because they're still being released on current systems with not much more than a dash of paint and polish. In fact, depending on how you want to classify "retro", I may never consider PS2 games to be retro, even in 60 years. I'll tell you then.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Kong Wen wrote: 27 Jun 2018 14:08 I don't quite consider PS2 games retro yet because they're still being released on current systems with not much more than a dash of paint and polish. In fact, depending on how you want to classify "retro", I may never consider PS2 games to be retro, even in 60 years. I'll tell you then.
Replace PS2 with GameCube and you've got sort of my response
Grt. Merlin

SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 27 Jun 2018 14:08 I don't quite consider PS2 games retro yet because they're still being released on current systems with not much more than a dash of paint and polish. In fact, depending on how you want to classify "retro", I may never consider PS2 games to be retro, even in 60 years. I'll tell you then.
Just if the PS2 released with HD it would have been glorious and like you said a lot of the HD remasters are pretty much just fixing the resolution.

I’m glad I’m not the only person who can’t call it a retro console.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

None of these systems are retro. None of these systems will ever be retro. Technically, the MOST retro consoles (among the vote options) are the ones that had/have active storefronts with retro games. So, 360/PS3 onward.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Vic went contrarian.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

VictorViper wrote: 27 Jun 2018 14:45 None of these systems are retro. None of these systems will ever be retro. Technically, the MOST retro consoles (among the vote options) are the ones that had/have active storefronts with retro games. So, 360/PS3 onward.
What do you mean by active storefronts?

Also how can a brand new system be retro I don’t understand the logic.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Here's an article (US based) that illustrates why these conversations are fun and usually rouse debate among enthusiasts in other industries as well. I've included an image of a retro car, since it doesn't tackle those.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.wcshipp ... s_amp=true

*2018 Dodge Challenger Demon

[EDIT] Fun side question: what era or loose generation would a game need to emulate to be considered retro?
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

VictorViper wrote: 27 Jun 2018 14:58 [EDIT] Fun side question: what era or loose generation would a game need to emulate to be considered retro?
Anything 2d with sprites.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote: 27 Jun 2018 14:45 None of these systems are retro. None of these systems will ever be retro. Technically, the MOST retro consoles (among the vote options) are the ones that had/have active storefronts with retro games. So, 360/PS3 onward.
Using your definition, I wouldn't even consider high-tech juggernauts like the PS360 retro consoles in and of themselves, just that they had retro features or curated retro collections. The NES and SNES Classics are the best examples we have of first-party retro consoles, and they're barely consoles in that their libraries are on board and not expandable.