What generation is retro in your eyes in 2018

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.

What consoles are retro consoles in your eyes?

Gen 3 and Older - NES, Sega Master System, Atari 7800
No votes
Gen 4 and Older - SNES, Sega Genesis
25%
Gen 5 and Older - N64, PS1, Sega Saturn
33%
Gen 6 and Older - GameCube, PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast
25%
Gen 7 and Older - PS3, Xbox 360, Wii
17%

Total votes: 12

VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: What generation is retro in your eyes in 2018

Post by VictorViper »

Slurmee wrote: 28 Jun 2018 01:22 Never seen the term antique used to describe consoles. Vintage also is a way older term while I guess a Classic makes sense however I do still believe Retro is the correct term in the gaming community.
That's because there isn't a console out there that would count as antique (yet) aside from, perhaps, some really old computer stuff. The medium is still too young.

Retro is being used incorrectly in the gaming community. Popular misuse does not make it correct. Retro describes something new which immitates something old. Those brand new clothes on the shelf that look like they came from the 80's? Retro. The moth-rudden bell-bottoms over at Goodwill? Vintage/Classic/whatever but NOT retro.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

VictorViper wrote: 28 Jun 2018 01:30
Slurmee wrote: 28 Jun 2018 01:22 Never seen the term antique used to describe consoles. Vintage also is a way older term while I guess a Classic makes sense however I do still believe Retro is the correct term in the gaming community.
That's because there isn't a console out there that would count as antique (yet) aside from, perhaps, some really old computer stuff. The medium is still too young.

Retro is being used incorrectly in the gaming community. Popular misuse does not make it correct. Retro describes something new which immitates something old. Those brand new clothes on the shelf that look like they came from the 80's? Retro. The moth-rudden bell-bottoms over at Goodwill? Vintage/Classic/whatever but NOT retro.
Even if it’s wrong it’s the term everyone understands. If I use the term classic people will think I’m talking about the snes Classic nes Classic etc. Antique and Vintage just doesn’t work.

Old school is the only one that would really work

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrogaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Slurmee wrote: 28 Jun 2018 01:37

Even if it’s wrong it’s the term everyone understands. If I use the term classic people will think I’m talking about the snes Classic nes Classic etc. Antique and Vintage just doesn’t work.

Old school is the only one that would really work

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrogaming
You're using an entirely different term to make your point there. A (slang) verb used for a specific purpose (and furthermore cited via Wikipedia, come on...) is not an effective counter.

It's not hard to correct a mistake. Hence my soapboxing. Say what you want.

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Pluvius wrote: 27 Jun 2018 21:00
Kong Wen wrote: 27 Jun 2018 14:47 Vic went contrarian.
Nah, for him to be really contrarian (and I think you all know that I'm an expert in this) would require the PC to be an option in the poll.

At any rate, I simply can't think of a console that's has mostly 3D games and had its heyday when I was practically in college as a retro console. I'm surprised that I'm currently alone on that.

Rob
When you were in college, did you consider SNES retro?
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

So something like Shovel Knight would be properly titled a retro game?
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

The Shoemaker wrote: 28 Jun 2018 03:25

So something like Shovel Knight would be properly titled a retro game?
Most certainly. Shovel Knight is actually a fun game to bring up, too (as would Retro City Rampage), because of HOW those games were made.

Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

As soon as a console is no longer actively and widely developed for. So, PS3, 360 and Wii. Exploring the Wii library is just as much of a retrospective endeavor as getting into NES gaming.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Jelly wrote: 28 Jun 2018 15:15 As soon as a console is no longer actively and widely developed for. So, PS3, 360 and Wii. Exploring the Wii library is just as much of a retrospective endeavor as getting into NES gaming.
Ubisoft announced a brand new Wii and Xbox 360 game on the main stage at E3 this year.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Using retro to describe EOL is a new interpretation.

kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Kong Wen wrote: 28 Jun 2018 15:52
Jelly wrote: 28 Jun 2018 15:15 As soon as a console is no longer actively and widely developed for. So, PS3, 360 and Wii. Exploring the Wii library is just as much of a retrospective endeavor as getting into NES gaming.
Ubisoft announced a brand new Wii and Xbox 360 game on the main stage at E3 this year.
Ubisoft is pretty much the only company left bringing games to Wii these days.