The Music Thread

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: The Music Thread

Post by Kong Wen »

Last weekend, a friend of mine recommended Animal Collective, specifically Merriweather Post Pavilion. I gave it a brief try earlier today, but it wasn't hitting me. I might have to give it a more devoted listen later. It seemed kind of light and directionless, which is not a bad thing in and of itself, but I'm kind of in the mood for something more driving and edgy right now: Lonerism and the Flaming Lips' Embryonic have been hitting the spot so far.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Starmancer
☆Magic Man☆

Post by Starmancer »

For some reason I've been listening to a lot of Endgame by Rise Against. I'm not sure why - the lyrics are pretentious all hell, some of them I'm not sure even they know what they're talking about. There's some "cookie monster lyrics" in a few songs, too. I hate that stuff. Its hard and abrasive, too, which isn't usually my style. The first three songs are really the only good ones and then it peters out quickly. But I guess something about it has been striking a cord with me lately.
Backloggery

Look Ma, Imma Star!
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

As much as I like digging for old musical gems, one cannot only look backwards. There is something special about new album releases. I love to be surprised by solid new albums.

Despite not having paid any attention to the band before, I've gotten really into Spoons new album They Want My Soul. The sound is in that very listenable place somewhere between rock and pop.

I have a weird fascination for albums that have no "bad" songs, that I find enjoyable to listen in one sitting without skipping any songs. To my joy, They Want My Soul seems to fall into that category.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Jelly wrote:As much as I like digging for old musical gems, one cannot only look backwards. There is something special about new album releases. I love to be surprised by solid new albums.

Despite not having paid any attention to the band before, I've gotten really into Spoons new album They Want My Soul. The sound is in that very listenable place somewhere between rock and pop.

I have a weird fascination for albums that have no "bad" songs, that I find enjoyable to listen in one sitting without skipping any songs. To my joy, They Want My Soul seems to fall into that category.
Spoon has been pretty reliable ever since they arrived on the scene. Like you said, fairly friendly pop-rock. I haven't had a chance to listen to their new album yet, so thanks for reminding me! Maybe I'll try to give it a listen tomorrow at work.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Posting this for KW (and others) from the chat earlier. I'm presently sending cilia running to the hills courtesy of Death From Above 1979 and my faithful Grados. I haven't had an album to anticipate in a while.

New album is titled The Physical World[/B] and continues their legacy of earsplitting... Dance Metal? Anyway, a good chunk of the album riffs on the stoner side of things, which is a bit of a departure, but I'm enjoying the hell out of myself.

A sample:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_zcSXC6yiag
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote:Posting this for KW (and others) from the chat earlier. I'm presently sending cilia running to the hills courtesy of Death From Above 1979 and my faithful Grados. I haven't had an album to anticipate in a while. [...] New album is titled The Physical World and continues their legacy of earsplitting... Dance Metal?
Damn you and your Grados!

The sample you posted sounds more like Dance Punk than Dance Metal to me!

I can't wait until this weekend, when I'll have a few uninterrupted hours to tweak my new sound system. This kind of music will be good to add to the mix.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I'll see your dance-punk and raise you a dance-post-hardcore-stoner-synth-pop.

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote:I'll see your dance-punk and raise you a dance-post-hardcore-stoner-synth-pop.
I can see the dance-post-hardcore, but I'll need to listen to more of the album to get the stoner-synth-pop.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

The Stoner elements are unique to a few tracks on this album specifically, but the pop speaks for itself on most of their tracks, and their overall sound is more shaped by synthesizers than you might realize. Their sound is generated as much by Synths as overdriven bass. Jesse Keeler is the brother of an old personal friend of mine, and he had been collecting exquisite rare synths since early highschool. I recall a story about him getting a one-off, handcrafted Moog prototype (built and conceived by Bob himself) in exchange for web design work way back in the day.

[EDIT] Incidentally, Keeler is also one half of MSTRKRFT, which focuses on his electronic/dance inclinations more specifically as compared to the harder edge of DFA1979.

Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

Aphex Twin has released a new album called Syro

It's just what I needed. It's the perfect soundtrack for cycling a cloudy and windstill authumn's day. Perfect kicking back in a comfy recliner and letting your headphones immerse you in the wonderful soundscape.

I just can't believe the talent of this guy.