All Outta Bubblegum - Play by Forum

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

All Outta Bubblegum - Play by Forum

Post by VictorViper »

All Outta Bubblegum - the RPG
This game is copyright 2001, Michael "Epoch" Sullivan and Jeffery Grant.

Characters in All Outta Bubblegum have one stat -- Bubblegum. It's technically a number which varies from 0 through 8, though the designers highly, highly recommend that you don't do anything so banal as write down a number, and, instead, pass out actual sticks of bubblegum to the players. This will also help when you play All Outta Bubblegum drunk, which is, let's be blunt, probably the only time you'd even consider playing this game.
Bubblegum always starts out at 8.

Resolution
- Any action which does not fall under the broad category of "kicking ass" is resolved by rolling a d10. If the number rolled is equal to or less than the amount of bubblegum the character has left, then the character succeeds in his task.
- Any action which falls under the broad umbrella of "kicking ass" is also resolved by rolling a d10. However, in this case, you wish to roll greater than the amount of bubblegum that you have left.

Losing Bubblegum
Whenever you fail a non-combat roll, you lose a stick of Bubblegum. You may also sacrifice a stick of Bubblegum before the roll to ensure success. Bubblegum also rates your damage. If someone else succeeds in a roll of asskicking against you, you lose one stick of bubblegum.

Zero Bubblegum
When you lose your last stick of bubblegum, you are officially all outta bubblegum. You may no longer attempt any kind of non-asskicking activity. Simple devices like, say, the handles of doors confound you (eerily enough, you have no problem field-stripping a .50 caliber machinegun to clear a jam in 15 seconds flat). However, you automatically succeed in any asskicking-related activity. you are a nearly unstoppable ball of bubblegum-less fury. When someone else succeeds in an asskicking roll against you, they roll a d10. If they roll a 10, you are knocked out. If they roll a 1 through 9, they've only succeeded in making you, if possible, even more angry.

However, bear in mind that it's relatively easy to trap a zero-bubblegum person in a situation he's totally incapable of dealing with.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: All Outta Bubblegum - Play by Forum

Post by VictorViper »

Who's in?

[EDIT] Hoping to get three players, though happy to accommodate as many as want in. I have some fun ideas to help this run nicely for forum. This won't be remotely involved - I'm working on an escape room scenario, to give a little background.

Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Let's do this :up:
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Excellent. Kong said (or strongly alluded) that he'd play too. Let's give it a little time to see if Neuzd pops in, or even if the ridiculous premise can entice anyone else. In a pinch I can play the third character but I had planned for a game with a victory condition, so that would kind of trivialize things (LOL).

Anyway my thoughts were as follows for guidelines for forum play, prioritizing flow and juicier turns:

1) let's loosely define "non-asskicking actions". I want to implement a purposely overbearing skill check system here, but within reason. If you want to walk across the room and turn on a light, the act of walking is a freebie, but you're gonna roll a non-combat for that light switch. So,
a) In general, normal movement is assumed, but any physical task, no matter how simple, will force a non-asskicking die roll.
b) There are no modifiers since they're built-in. That's GREAT for keeping things lean. Abuse the shit out of that fact. I encourage you to do ridiculous things, and only ask that you keep things human. We'll assume our adrenaline and hormones are steadily reaching car-lifting, PCP rager levels.

2) Player turns will run continuously, with each action being described as you see fit, until one of the following happens:
a) You fail a non-asskicking die roll. YOU describe the result/consequences of the failure.
b) You succeed in a non-asskicking die roll, and you need to defer to the referee (i.e. you successfully open a small cupboard).
c) You succeed in an asskicking roll. YOU describe the attack action, the REFEREE will describe the result and determine who acts next.

Any thoughts?

Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Seem to be able to edit without logging in
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

HOUSE RULES FOR WEIRD ESCAPE ROOM THING

1) Let's loosely define "non-asskicking actions". I want to implement a purposely overbearing skill check system here, but within reason. If you want to walk across the room and turn on a light, the act of walking is a freebie, but you're gonna roll a non-combat for that light switch. So,
a) In general, normal movement is assumed, but any physical task, no matter how simple, will force a non-asskicking die roll.
b) There are no modifiers since they're built-in. That's GREAT for keeping things lean. Abuse the shit out of that fact. I encourage you to do ridiculous things, and only ask that you keep things human. We'll assume our adrenaline and hormones are steadily reaching car-lifting, PCP rager levels.

2) Player turns will run continuously, with each action being described as you see fit, until one of the following happens:
a) You fail a non-asskicking die roll. YOU describe the result/consequences of the failure.
b) You succeed in a non-asskicking die roll, and you need to defer to the referee (i.e. you successfully open a small cupboard).
c) You succeed in an asskicking roll. YOU describe the attack action, the REFEREE will describe the result and determine who acts next.
d) When out of bubblegum, asskicking actions are always successful. As such you take one action only so make it a doozy. Should you choose to take a non-asskicking action (an auto fail, bless your comedy loving ass), your turn ends as usual and as you see fit.

Victory! Or...

a) If you beat the room with wits, all players win except anyone knocked out.
b) A player may not brute force the room unless they are out of gum. In this case the first one out the "door" is the winner.
c) In the (rare? Maybe?) event that you all KO, the game ends. No buts, no cuts, no coconuts. This is where you remind me that I'd have to make that happen for it to happen...

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I'm in!
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Excellent, we have our threesome. I'll give PR the day to see if he bites, but otherwise I'll post the introduction in a bit, with a room image/description to follow this evening.

There is no character creation here, per se, but I encourage you all to do basically whatever you like. If you want to submit names though, let me know and I'll be sure to use them. Otherwise you're just Shoe, Kong and Kiwi, general assholes. :D

VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

You guys are walking down the street when you all realize at the same time for some reason that you’re all down to, like, one piece of gum. Edward Millowitsch (Kiwi) has got a ballroom dance competition in three hours, Oleg Farkas (Kong) has to pick up his triplets from school soon, and Barry Brometheus Gummati (Shoe) has to meet his parole officer. Point is, you really need to get some gum or it's gonna be a problem.

One of you notices a greasy little mongrel of a building across the street called
JUST BUBBLEGUM STORE which is absolutely suspicious, but you make the brilliant decision to cross and head in anyway. The heavyweight steel door (suspicious!) glides open effortlessly. The shop is threadbare and filthy, with little to indicate a place of business, but there's a clerk at the back, next to a table bearing a sign that says IS FREE GUM. YOU TAKE.

You're all about halfway in before realizing the clerk is actually a cardboard standee of a young Dean Stockwell with a fu-manchu moustache. Before you can react, the front door swings shut and the floor rumbles a little as some huge mechanism engages underfoot.

Surprise! The door's locked. From outside, a loud knock and a muffled
“Keheheh stupid mouseys. Is mouse trap. Which one is RAT?”
A glint of metal (a key?) slides under the door, skitters across the room and promptly slips down a drain hole.
“Bool's eye. Keheheh.”

You're relieved to discover there's enough gum for all of you on the table. But what now?

VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

LEGEND

1) An Empty metal bucket. Sturdy, no holes.
2) Spoons! A bunch of regular old spoons.
3) Upon the table sits an ornate lamp, but the power cord has been torn out and there is no bulb.
4) This is the drain you saw the metal object fall into. The drain is desperately clogged with old rotten paper towels and standing water has started to accumulate.
5) There is a considerable crack along the floor and up the wall. It leads to the drain, where it stops.
6) A small hutch. There doesn't appear to be a lock, but the latch is seized.
7) Under the table lies a beautiful Persian rug, stained and ruined. How sad... how odd.
8) Big, heavy door. Very very locked.
9) A utility sink, minus the sink. The faucet has a slow drip and because of the clogged drain, water is starting to pool up. You will drown if you don't escape within 78 years.
10) A reproduction of the Mona Lisa, only twice as large, in a massive, ornate, gilded frame. Really quite the forgery. The purple skin tone is a nice touch.

Your first order of business is to grab the gum. Feel free to ask any questions you want before you act. Try to avoid PM unless you need to ask something in secret.

- If you beat the room with wits, all players win except anyone knocked out.
- A player may not brute force the room unless they are out of gum. In this case the first one out the "door" is the winner.

Da House Rules.