What Should I Play Next?

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

What Should I Play Next?

Post by Kong Wen »

This is a general purpose thread where anyone can come and ask the TONe community what game they should play next.

If you've just finished a game and you're undecided between a couple new ones, then this is the place to get advice! If you're just bored or tired of what you've been playing lately and you're looking for suggestions, then this is the place to get advice! If you just picked up a bunch of games during a hot sale and you don't know where to start, then this is the place to get advice! :)
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
link64
Beginner

Re: What Should I Play Next?

Post by link64 »

Hi I'm looking for a new FPS to play.

I'm hoping for something in the vain of Serious Sam, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon or Doom 1 and 2, I know these games don't have that much in common but if you know any games like them, please tell me.

I don't want anything like Bioshock infinite or COD.

Preferably on PC but I will also accept Wii U games.
Starmancer
☆Magic Man☆

Post by Starmancer »

^Quake III? Unreal Tournament 2004? Tribes 2?
Backloggery

Look Ma, Imma Star!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

link64 wrote:Hi I'm looking for a new FPS to play.

I'm hoping for something in the vain of Serious Sam, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon or Doom 1 and 2, I know these games don't have that much in common but if you know any games like them, please tell me.

It sounds like you're looking more for a campaign-style FPS than a PvP/deathmatch game? Correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: If you want PvP, I like Gotham City Impostors. It's free to play on PC (Steam) and it's pretty hilarious. It has some good customization options, the maps are pretty well-balanced, and I'm not sure what else to say about it because it's not my usual genre, but I found myself sucked in and playing a lot and enjoying myself when I spent some time with it on PSN before the servers went down.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Gotta kill (play) off a few PS3 games so which should I kill off first?

Batman Arkham City
Bioshock
(continue) Final Fantasy X
Infamous 2
Little Big Planet 2
Saints Row 3
Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves
Uncharted 2

(I also have Uncharted 3 and FFX-2 but I want to play them in order)
link64
Beginner

Post by link64 »

Kong Wen wrote:
link64 wrote:Hi I'm looking for a new FPS to play.

It sounds like you're looking more for a campaign-style FPS than a PvP/deathmatch game? Correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: If you want PvP, I like Gotham City Impostors. It's free to play on PC (Steam) and it's pretty hilarious. It has some good customization options, the maps are pretty well-balanced, and I'm not sure what else to say about it because it's not my usual genre, but I found myself sucked in and playing a lot and enjoying myself when I spent some time with it on PSN before the servers went down.
I'm not that interested in multi player to be honest.

So yes a single player FPS with decent combat, I don't really care about story that much.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

link64 wrote:I'm not that interested in multi player to be honest.

So yes a single player FPS with decent combat, I don't really care about story that much.
Borderlands is a good single-player FPS, readily available (and usually cheap) on PC, but to be honest your preferences here are hard to read. :) It's not story-driven like BioShock, and it has good combat, weapon variety, and customization.
link64
Beginner

Post by link64 »

Slurmee wrote:Gotta kill (play) off a few PS3 games so which should I kill off first?

Batman Arkham City
Bioshock
Infamous 2
Little Big Planet 2
Saints Row 3
Uncharted 2

I would suggest Finishing FFX, unless you don't like it in which case don't even bother with X-2.
Kong Wen wrote:
link64 wrote:I'm not that interested in multi player to be honest.

Borderlands is a good single-player FPS, readily available (and usually cheap) on PC, but to be honest your preferences here are hard to read. :) It's not story-driven like BioShock, and it has good combat, weapon variety, and customization.
I am quite picky about what FPS games I like, I do try and give every game I play a chance, but some games I just can't get into at all.
Starmancer
☆Magic Man☆

Post by Starmancer »

I want to play a PSOne RPG. Should I play:

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete - I've finally forgetton most of the beginning of the Sega CD version, so it might be safe to try it now
Tales of Destiny - I got in about 6 hours, don't remember what I was doing...
Chrono Cross - Was playing this recently but got sidetracked
Wild Arms - started this a while back, was kinda getting into it before I played CC
Xenogears - Gotta play it eventually
Suikoden - I was really digging this until I got stuck on the Vampire fight
Breath of Fire IV - only BoF I haven't played yet
Front Mission 3 - it has robots
Grandia - I couldn't play more than an hour the last 10 times I played it...
Arc the Lad - I'd actually have to buy this...
Slurmee wrote:Gotta kill (play) off a few PS3 games so which should I kill off first?

Batman Arkham City
Bioshock
Infamous 2
Little Big Planet 2
Saints Row 3
Uncharted 2

You drive a hard bargain. It definitely depends on what you're looking for:

I guess you're in the mood for open world, since you listed 3 of them. If you want to explore around and play with fun powers, I'd suggest Batman. If you want to mess around and just be silly, Saints Row would be a good choice. If you want to follow a serious story, go with inFamous. Personally, I found them all great in their own right.

If you haven't burned out on Sly Cooper, Sly 3 is the best in the series, IMO. Definitely my first pick if you're not in the mood for cinematic action or Open World, but still want a good game with stealth, exploration, platforming, and surprisingly fun combat and boss fights. Be warned, there are a lot of Mini games, though, and not all are very good.

Uncharted 2 was pretty impressive from what I've played of it. Definitely more fun than the first game. It still suffers from a lot of the pitfalls its style of game entails, but it just feels a lot more polished this time around. If you're looking for high-octane blockbuster action, I'd definitely go with that.

I recommend Final Fantasy X, BioShock, or LittleBig Planet if you want games that thoroughly suck. :T
Backloggery

Look Ma, Imma Star!
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Let me help you here:

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (Sega CD Version isn't 'Complete') - As much as I like it for the presentation, it is very grindy and hard (especially bosses). Unless you have lot of spare time, don't.
Tales of Destiny - A Tales game I haven't played, so no comment
Chrono Cross - Whatever people say, aside from the OST, it isn't a very good game. Playing it just to get it off your to-do list isn't really worth it.
Wild Arms - One can get easily distracted to play other games while playing this, I never actually beat it. The puzzzles and dungeons are kinda neat, the plot really isn't. If you have a save state and you still remember where you are, you may want to get it done with.
Xenogears - It may be a kind of a mess in terms of narrative, art direction and design, but it is a glorious mess.
Suikoden - Suikoden isn't hard or long but pretty darn good.
Breath of Fire IV - Haven't played this either
Front Mission 3 - It has robots, it is incredibly long and while I like it well enough, there is no hurry to play/beat this.
Grandia -The game makes me seasick, the sequel on Dreamcast was much better.
Arc the Lad - 'I'd actually have to buy this...' - Don't, it isn't woth it.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!