E3 2019

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: E3 2019

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 12 Jun 2019 14:44 Bowser specifically said Animal Crossing is delayed to allow employees to have a good work-life balance (i.e. avoid crunch), so I fully support that. A minor delay on an entertainment product when there are TONS of games to tide us over in exchange for people not being subjected to abusive overwork requirements is an easy trade-off.
Yeah I was expecting a delay. It seemed like it couldn't launch alongside pokemon so it was going to have to be October at the latest which didn't seem like enough time or mid December which is a terrible launch time

So much great stuff coming in 2019 anyway.
Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

Post by Ouenben »

If you're dying to play animal crossing just play one of the previous ones they're basically the same anyway.</joke>
Last edited by Ouenben on 12 Jun 2019 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Ouenben wrote: 12 Jun 2019 20:10 If you're dying to play animal crossing just play one of the previous ones they're basically the same anyway.
Haters gonna hate!

This probably looked to be the most different Animal Crossing so far.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Ouenben
Great Scot
Great Scot

Post by Ouenben »

The Shoemaker wrote: 12 Jun 2019 21:48
Ouenben wrote: 12 Jun 2019 20:10 If you're dying to play animal crossing just play one of the previous ones they're basically the same anyway.
Haters gonna hate!

New title screen ?
I've played GameCube one and 3ds one alot and enjoyed them. Played the Wii one a little bit got bored when I very little has changed.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Ouenben wrote: 12 Jun 2019 21:49
The Shoemaker wrote: 12 Jun 2019 21:48
Haters gonna hate!

New title screen ?
I've played GameCube one and 3ds one alot and enjoyed them. Played the Wii one a little bit got bored when I very little has changed.
Wii one was very boring, almost a copy of the DS one.

This game looks to be much more focused in building your town which is great. You can actually add furniture to the environment which is amazing. You also have to craft items and collect resources.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I thought the Wii one was pretty good. The main advantage it had was not having to play it on a portable system. I played it for about a year as a "come home and unwind in the evening" game, just doing some fishing, weeding, etc. I like that the game only asks 15-30 minutes of your time and you can feel satisfied and then move on to other stuff. Hopefully the Switch one maintains that chill atmosphere and doesn't take any cues whatsoever from the manic mobile monstrosity.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: 14 Jun 2019 18:03 I thought the Wii one was pretty good. The main advantage it had was not having to play it on a portable system. I played it for about a year as a "come home and unwind in the evening" game, just doing some fishing, weeding, etc. I like that the game only asks 15-30 minutes of your time and you can feel satisfied and then move on to other stuff. Hopefully the Switch one maintains that chill atmosphere and doesn't take any cues whatsoever from the manic mobile monstrosity.
I thought it was boring In the sense that it didn't add much from the previous iteration. I still put many many hours into it.

Also, RIP Resetti. Nintendo confirmed the new animal Crossing will have an auto save feature so Resetti is currently looking for a new line of work.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote: 14 Jun 2019 18:05 Also, RIP Resetti. Nintendo confirmed the new animal Crossing will have an auto save feature so Resetti is currently looking for a new line of work.
Oh man, I didn't know about that. This is why the game industry needs to unionize. He's been in the business for a while though. Maybe he'll retire to a nice tropical island somewhere.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote: 14 Jun 2019 19:58
The Shoemaker wrote: 14 Jun 2019 18:05 Also, RIP Resetti. Nintendo confirmed the new animal Crossing will have an auto save feature so Resetti is currently looking for a new line of work.
Oh man, I didn't know about that. This is why the game industry needs to unionize. He's been in the business for a while though. Maybe he'll retire to a nice tropical island somewhere.
It was in the cards for a while. After his fits of rage in Animal Crossing Population Growing, HR had a word with him and forced him to tone down his attitude. Every game since he's been more and more subdued. The business for yelling at kids for not saving just isn't there anymore.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Decided to do a E3 opinion post after a few days of being able to really think about everything.

Microsoft - B
Microsoft showed a lot however they still showed little to no gameplay which really makes everything shown very pointless. They did a horrendous job at actually trying to sell Project Scarlett and the Xbox One since nothings truely going to be an exclusive and I already own a PC. However they seem to be very pro consumer and not having exclusives is fantastic since if I can skip Project Scarlett that will save me a ton of money. No Fable still sucked but it could always be saved for Project Scarlett next year. Otherwise other than the additions to Game Pass nothing really screamed buy me that was new. Ori and the Will of the Wisps release date is perfect however with the big Nintendo games I want to play the next 12 months.

Pros
Lots of games
Game Pass announcements were amazing
Release Date for Ori, Gears (and kinda Halo)

Cons
No Gameplay
No game that blew me away
Project Scarlett was announce badly

Bethesda - D
Basically shooter after shooter after shooter. Without GhostWire: Toyko I would have hated this. Even Ghostwire had no gameplay but they did show off some DOOM gameplay atleast.

Pros
Ghostwire: Toyko
They're listening to criticism and learning from it

Cons
Don't like shooters? Well we have nothing.
Lack of Gameplay
Elders Scrool VI & Starfield absent

Devolver Digital/Upload VR/PC Gaming Show/Limited Run Games/Kinda Funny Showcase - N/A
Didn't watch (Don't consider them conferences)

Ubisoft - C / Bam Bam - S Tier
Lack of Rayman really stood out and I feel like they announced 37 different Tom Clancy games. Roller Champions was a great surprise announcement and the games actually really fun (Just please add music to the gameplay) I'm actually sad I was so busy and couldn't play more. It also suffered from getting boring after 4-5 games so was hard to stream :(. Gods & Monsters looks interesting but the lack of knowing what it was really makes it hard for me to judge it. Watch Dogs Legions gameplay actually has me interested in the game and the play as anyone concept is very cool. I honestly don't remember much else from this direct it was very underwhelming. ALSO THERE WAS A DOG LIKE HOLY SHIT.

Pros
Roller Champions Demo (This needs to happen more)
Gods & Monsters looks interesting
Watch Dogs Legion
BAM BAM (The dog)
They showed gameplay for a lot of things.

Cons
No Rayman or Mario + Rabbids
Way to much Tom Clancy

Square Enix - D
Recently realized that Final Fantasy VII Remake is going to be episodic super sad as the conference made it seem otherwise. They showed gameplay which was made the game look interesting I guess. Honestly I might just play the original. They announced Final Fantasy VIII Remastered as long as it's not Episodic that could be awesome. Honestly otherwise not much else I can remember. Dying Light 2 was briefly shown and that looks good but was also shown at Microsofts event.

Pros
+1 for showing gameplay (Can't think of much else)

Cons
Final Fantasy VII episodic
Nothing new excited me
Felt very port heavy

Nintendo - A
This includes the Pokemon and Animal Crossing Treehouse footage in my review since most streams showed those as well
Yes I'm giving it an A I've changed my opinion on this (However it's not A+ (Great) or S (Flawless))

Nintendo really handle these events the best. I do miss some things about the live shows but those things are so small that the direct way just makes life so much simpler.

Anyway I feel like there was something for everyone. New smash characters 1 that pleases Japan and 1 that please the Western market. Luigi's Mansion had gameplay footage shown during the direct and had gameplay mechanics explained during the direct it was do well that it wasn't too long and boring but also not to short without enough info. No release date sucks but knowing it's coming this year is music to my ears. A lot of ports were announced while more games are great it felt like a lot of time was spent wasted on them but they're awesome for people who don't own other consoles.

Now onto Pokemon this was handled terribly just terribly. They showed off gameplay which looks average at best and revealed no mega evolutions and no z moves (all negative announcements) then go to announce there won't be a national dex. Nothing positive was announced leaving us all to feel like well okay that's shit. I'm still playing to by the game but I think marketing wise it was suicide and a low point for the direct/treehouse.

Animal Crossing looks good. I really forgot how limited New Leaf was until people started mentioning the differences and way there's a lot. I'm really hyped for this game and the amount they've shown looks great. Not a fan of small island though hope it's bigger than I think.

BotW2 wow just wow. the trailer was done extremely well. The trailer also got me trying BotW again and I'm actually having fun. I started using a guide and having my stream help me with things which has made it more bearable. Nonetheless the hype for this is insane and I think it perfectly ended the direct.

The low sides were that BotW2 and No More Heros 3 were the only new announcements outside of ports and BotW2 seems a while away. This was e3 and deserved a bit more since Pokemon fell flat and Animal Crossing got a delay however Luigi's Mansion really helped change that a bit and Animal Crossing does look good.

Pros
Breath of the Wild 2 trailer looks different and dark and cool
Luigi's Mansion 3 looks amazing
Banjo Kazooie (+ Dragon Quest for Japan) is perfect way to please Smash fans
The direct system is perfect and doesn't feel too long
Treehouse showed so much gameplay
The direct also showed a lot of gameplay too.
Nintendo showing compassion to it's employees (eg Animal Crossing delay) is great to see

Cons
#BringBackNationalDex
Pokemon also lost Megas and Z-Moves
Animal Crossing not til 2020
No big announcement that's coming soon
All old IPs nothing new and fresh.

Overall E3 fell flat for me with but (as is normal) Nintendo picked up some pieces.

Games I liked at e3
Tunic (Was shown on Youtubes E3 event betwene conferences)
Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Free for Game Pass will most likely play Day 1)
Phantasy Star Online 2 (I'm interest in this probably never find time for it though)
Tales of Arise (trailer interested me and the series always interested me)
Halo Infinite (Gameplay when?)
Spiritfarer (Game Pass which is nice this one of the more interesting and cool concept titles)
Psychonauts 2 (Game Pass, probably a day one play unless it clashes or I don't own game pass on launch)
Dyling Light 2 (No clue why I'm interested in this but I am)
Borderlands 3 (Wait for sales and such)
Watch Dogs Legion (Probably be a bargain bin find in 2025)
Gods & Monsters (Interested but not knowing what it is makes it hard)
Roller Champions (HYPED!)
Luigi's Mansion 3 (Day 1 buy)
Pokemon Sword (Most likely Day 1)
Astral Chain (This game looks sooooo fun)
Ni no Kuni (I've been meaning to play this so it'll just be a console upgrade purchase)
Disgaea 4 Complete+ (Interested in the series heard 4 is good)
Breathe of the Wild Sequel (Since I'm enjoying BotW more than I thought I'm really keen to see what the new one is like)