Best First Game in a Series Finals

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2019 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.
This Old Neon
Administrator

Best First Game in a Series Finals

Post by This Old Neon »

The “Best First Game in a Series” side-event finals consist of 1 poll of 6 games.
  • You can only vote for one (1) game in the finals.
  • The top game will become the official “BEST FIRST GAME IN A SERIES EVER!!!”
  • You can’t change your votes once they’ve been submitted, so click carefully. Voting closes on Saturday at 11:59 P.M. ADT.
VOTE HERE

Best First Game in a Series Ever:

Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009, Multiplatform)
Dark Souls (2011, Multiplatform)
Mega Man X (1993, SNES)
Super Mario Bros. (1985, NES)
Tetris (1989, GB)
The Legend of Zelda (1986, NES)
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Re: Best First Game in a Series Finals

Post by Sharecrow »

Dark Souls will win this but I voted for Arkham Asylum. I had a lot more fun with it. Dark Souls is a bit daunting.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

A finals so good and so small I can rank them:

1. Dark Souls - best first entry in a series - sets the stage and establishes the rules, executes its vision perfectly on the first try - leaves enough room for tweaks and changes for the sequels not to feel like straight clones but they also don't make you feel like the original was missing anything - brilliant
2. Batman: Arkham Asylum - largely similar points as the above, except that the mechanics and setting it established were less inventive
3. The Legend of Zelda
4. Super Mario Bros.
5. Mega Man X - mainly here because of the sheer quality of its execution - you know you're playing Mega Man but it all feels so much faster and smoother - jumping around on walls, air dashing, and cycling between a nicely balanced set of weapons makes you feel like all the tools are in your hands. The sequels don't nail the balance as well.
6. Tetris - I don't really see this as a first game in a series of Tetris games.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Voted for Super Mario Bros .. or else I would've abstained. Tetris is an original that has a lot of spin offs and copies, I also don't see it as a series. And the only other game I would consider is The Legend of Zelda, but having played this and Super Mario Bros I think the latter is the better one.
Grt. Merlin

This Old Neon
Administrator

Post by This Old Neon »

This Old Neon wrote: 09 Jun 2019 23:45 Best First Game in a Series Ever:

Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009, Multiplatform)
Super Mario Bros. (1985, NES)
Tie games!