Format Discussion for 2018 BGE

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2019 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Format Discussion for 2018 BGE

Post by Kong Wen »

I was considering ways to make the structure of the 2018 BGE!!! Project more interesting and fresh and different.

For one, we already have a fantastic new polling system on the new version of the forum, so we have a lot of flexibility for how we handle user voting.

One option I was thinking off would be to have a system where we start by pitting the games in the same series against each other, then the games in the same franchise/IP, and then the winners of those against each other. This would see, for example, all the Mario Karts against each other. The winner would then be in a poll against the winners of the other Mario series. The best Mario game to emerge from this gauntlet would face off against games that emerged from similar layered polls. This would produce some skewed results, but each poll would be pretty fun and interesting.

A second option I was thinking about is the equivalent of an exhaustive ballot, where a game requires a majority of votes to advance. If there's no majority in the poll, the lowest-performing games are removed and everyone votes again. This one would make the event take longer since each pool would require multiple rounds of voting.

Please feel free to post your own ideas for formats and structures for the 2018 contest, including the voting itself, and also the nomination process!

:neon:
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: Format Discussion for 2018 BGE

Post by VictorViper »

I'm up for any change to the format that ensures the top 100 isn't full of different iterations of the same game. It always ends up looking like a contest voted on by Nintendo loyalists and it drives me nuts. I don't think we should pit games from the same universe against one another (Mario vs. Mario Kart, for example), though, aside from the usual scenarios that would see this happen.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

VictorViper wrote: 11 Nov 2017 00:40 I'm up for any change to the format that ensures the top 100 isn't full of different iterations of the same game. It always ends up looking like a contest voted on by Nintendo loyalists and it drives me nuts. I don't think we should pit games from the same universe against one another (Mario vs. Mario Kart, for example), though, aside from the usual scenarios that would see this happen.
Only two points on that. One, because of the nature of blind Nintendo fanaticism, that's probably going to happen anyway. Two, an argument could be made that it's possible for two games from the same series to be among the best games ever made. And that's fine, but my counterargument would be that that's what previous BGE!!! Projects were for. If we keep playing the same game over and over again, we're going to keep seeing the same results. One of the ways to make this fun is to change the rules and see how things play out in new situations.
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Maybe do a console/platform specific BGE first and let the winners (or top 3) compete against each other?
Grt. Merlin

Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

MerlinDrazziw wrote: 11 Nov 2017 11:48 Maybe do a console/platform specific BGE first and let the winners (or top 3) compete against each other?
Oooo I like getting console specific! But I also like each series too.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I’m trying to think of a way to give newer games a chance. Maybe when seeding there can be some adjustment based on age that favors newer games? I love Space Invaders and Super Mario Bros as much as the next guy but it’d be refreshing to focus on more current titles...
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote: 11 Nov 2017 16:03 I’m trying to think of a way to give newer games a chance. Maybe when seeding there can be some adjustment based on age that favors newer games? I love Space Invaders and Super Mario Bros as much as the next guy but it’d be refreshing to focus on more current titles...
It's generally not until later in the brackets that those old games tend to blast out the new ones anyway, so I don't know if seeding would help them too much. Besides, I think there's a fair amount of "recency effect" in the contest, too, where newer games get a lot of attention because they're closer to the forefront of people's memories.

Does anyone else have any comments on the format for the next BGE? We have a lot of flexibility this time around because of our new forum software and polling system (ranked votes, multiple votes per poll choice, etc.).
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I think I'd be okay with pitting franchises against each other, just to see a different result this time. Though I'd advocate for the top two titles in a franchise moving forward.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

We do traditional ranking categories every year and it's really just playing hot-potato with some immortal classics with a couple brand new games thrown in that are still fresh in our minds. Why not just have every user suggest an off the wall poll idea and we nominate games for each of those. I think we could compile lists that are more fun than the top 10 games of all time that you can find almost identically on any website.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Spore wrote: 06 Dec 2017 20:49 We do traditional ranking categories every year and it's really just playing hot-potato with some immortal classics with a couple brand new games thrown in that are still fresh in our minds. Why not just have every user suggest an off the wall poll idea and we nominate games for each of those. I think we could compile lists that are more fun than the top 10 games of all time that you can find almost identically on any website.
Big fan of this idea.
You got BOOST power!