Mario Kart 8 Q/A

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Mario Kart 8 Q/A

Post by Kong Wen »

Kreegs wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:I find I tend to get about 50-100 coins per full evening of play with my friends, which is once per week. So it looks like I'm looking at about 100-200 weeks, or 2-4 years before I'll unlock everything.
Well at least the end is in sight....
I'll stop playing long, long before that. :) Maybe even a month from now. Diablo III is slated to become our next couch co-op game in August.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Was playing online for a bit with Kong tonight and I unlocked the Gold Glider!

It is exactly the same as the standard glider in every way except it sort of shimmers and has a black sail.

WHOOP de DOO :D
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I've been rocking Luigi (and other medium characters when I get tired of him) with the pipe kart, azure rollers, and the parafoils. It's a pretty nice balance of acceleration and not sinking the rest of the stats into the mud. I might try an even harder-acceleration-based build on Wednesday (probably using Shyguy or Lakitu). I did test out a heavy top-speed character and it was pretty good in some races but got screwed too easily with one or two hits, so not consistent enough for my liking.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Kong Wen wrote:I've been rocking Luigi (and other medium characters when I get tired of him) with the pipe kart, azure rollers, and the parafoils. It's a pretty nice balance of acceleration and not sinking the rest of the stats into the mud. I might try an even harder-acceleration-based build on Wednesday (probably using Shyguy or Lakitu). I did test out a heavy top-speed character and it was pretty good in some races but got screwed too easily with one or two hits, so not consistent enough for my liking.
I used the blue Azure rollers with Pipe Frame for a long time until I unlocked the cyber slick. So we essentially used the same combo. I somehow still like the super light characters, even though I get thrashed sometimes but bump-happy onliners. The acceleration comes in handy though...
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:I've been rocking Luigi (and other medium characters when I get tired of him) with the pipe kart, azure rollers, and the parafoils. It's a pretty nice balance of acceleration and not sinking the rest of the stats into the mud. I might try an even harder-acceleration-based build on Wednesday (probably using Shyguy or Lakitu). I did test out a heavy top-speed character and it was pretty good in some races but got screwed too easily with one or two hits, so not consistent enough for my liking.
Been trying out that Luigi death stare then? ;)

I still haven't found my super combination, I played some online matches today and I liked the standard bike with retro slick wheels, I might try boosting my acceleration though like many others seem to be doing.
Kreegs wrote:Was playing online for a bit with Kong tonight and I unlocked the Gold Glider!

It is exactly the same as the standard glider in every way except it sort of shimmers and has a black sail.

WHOOP de DOO :D
I don't like how all the gliders are the same in general except they alternate weight and accel stats. Do you have the full gold set then?
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Alright so this video shows lots of grass cutting that is essentially useless unless you happen to have a mushroom. If you are time trial-ing, save your three mushrooms for the biggest shortcut each lap, (unless the course really has none in which case cut grass where you please). The most helpful parts of this video for me were on Shy Guy Falls (I seriously had no idea this one existed!!!), Mount Wario, Music Park (I remembered this one for MK7!), and Rainbow Road (new one). Let me know if you have any questions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KWMiKleB9g
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

The Shoemaker wrote:
I don't like how all the gliders are the same in general except they alternate weight and accel stats. Do you have the full gold set then?

I do indeed!

I only use the Gold Glider (now, finally!) because it doesnt differ any from the standard one that I have been using. The kart and wheels are the same as the standard too, just shiny, so I didnt use them. I am also not one to use all the gold parts just to prove to online people that I have unlocked them... I like to target the people that do this and hope they fall off the edge. ;)
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Seems I used a fav combo yesterday (with DK, pipe frame, azure rollers & parafoil) when I 3-starred the Special Cup at 100cc. Almost lost at Bowsers Castle, but had it easier with the Rainbow Road thanks to the shortcut. On Cloudtop Cruise the cpu uses two leaves as a shortcut (near the finish), but I haven't managed to get the right angle to take that route. Anyone else tried it? It's not a big shortcut, but it has a jump that can give a needed boost.

Oh, and the video upload worked again. Had some problems with it before, but not now. :)
Grt. Merlin

The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kreegs wrote:Alright so this video shows lots of grass cutting that is essentially useless unless you happen to have a mushroom. If you are time trial-ing, save your three mushrooms for the biggest shortcut each lap, (unless the course really has none in which case cut grass where you please). The most helpful parts of this video for me were on Shy Guy Falls (I seriously had no idea this one existed!!!), Mount Wario, Music Park (I remembered this one for MK7!), and Rainbow Road (new one). Let me know if you have any questions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KWMiKleB9g
I was surprised with that Shy Guy falls one too! I remember when I found the short cut in the beginning of Thomp Ruins I was really surprised. Best "grass cutting" goes to Dry Dry Desert though, that's intense.
MerlinDrazziw wrote:Seems I used a fav combo yesterday (with DK, pipe frame, azure rollers & parafoil) when I 3-starred the Special Cup at 100cc. Almost lost at Bowsers Castle, but had it easier with the Rainbow Road thanks to the shortcut. On Cloudtop Cruise the cpu uses two leaves as a shortcut (near the finish), but I haven't managed to get the right angle to take that route. Anyone else tried it? It's not a big shortcut, but it has a jump that can give a needed boost.

Oh, and the video upload worked again. Had some problems with it before, but not now. :)
I used that leaf all the time! I miss it sometimes but generally you just have to turn into it gradually. Just a nice drift.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Just a thought; I know some of us want to see DLC for this game, and it's pretty likely now that we're getting the Mercedes car. For actual DLC I think they might wait until Amiibo releases to bring out the DLC. Not that Amiibo will feature DLC on it, but they're going to have to update the game to support Amiibo as well as DLC so they'll probably do two in one.