Portable GC made from atari Lynx 2 does not look terrible

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Portable GC made from atari Lynx 2 does not look terrible

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q63whKV6Pbs

Usually these things look clunky and awful or have discs whizzing around on the back like an unprotected circular saw but this one actually looks quite nice. The Lynx 2 is a nice comfortable console to hold (unlike the original) so I can imagine this being decent to play.

It's also quite amusing that one of the first things he was asked in the comments was "can this play emulated Lynx games?".

It can't. :lol:
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: Portable GC made from atari Lynx 2 does not look terribl

Post by The Shoemaker »

That actually looks pretty slick :lol:
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:That actually looks pretty slick :lol:
Yeah, I was surprised too! It's too bad you'll never see anything like this commercially available.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
Yeah, I was surprised too! It's too bad you'll never see anything like this commercially available.
It's actually like a smaller and bulkier GamePad, if they release GC on the VC it could be a reality.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q63whKV6Pbs

Usually these things look clunky and awful or have discs whizzing around on the back like an unprotected circular saw but this one actually looks quite nice. The Lynx 2 is a nice comfortable console to hold (unlike the original) so I can imagine this being decent to play.
As others have said, I'm pretty surprised how it looks! I actually wish it had a disc option, but for it to be protected properly unlike some of the other custom made hardware out there. Also, I have concerns about the battery life... it's too bad it's not in double digit range in hours per full charge.
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

Kong Wen wrote:
Although on a related note he apparently got $2000 for it on ebay!

I'll stick with my GB Boy Colour for now. :lol:
A Beta Fu7ure
Aspirant

Post by A Beta Fu7ure »

kitroplious wrote:
As others have said, I'm pretty surprised how it looks! I actually wish it had a disc option, but for it to be protected properly unlike some of the other custom made hardware out there. Also, I have concerns about the battery life... it's too bad it's not in double digit range in hours per full charge.
Battery life would never concern me with a system like this because I'd never use batteries. I never use them on my actual Atari Lynx 2 either. The bulk and size of portable systems like this means they are really just alternatives to hogging the TV. I play them in an armchair with the AC adaptor plugged in.

Similarly GC games aren't really meant for a quick blast on the bus (with a few exceptions). True portables like the Game Boy or NGPC not only combine excellent battery life but their games are designed for quick plays. It's why they still hold up today.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

A Beta Fu7ure wrote:Battery life would never concern me with a system like this because I'd never use batteries. I never use them on my actual Atari Lynx 2 either. The bulk and size of portable systems like this means they are really just alternatives to hogging the TV. I play them in an armchair with the AC adaptor plugged in.
That's understanding; and part of the reason I can play portable systems (and the Wii U GamePad), is because I have roommates that love watching their TV shows. I could just play what I want while they are using the TV.

But to come back here, I'm kind of tempted into the custom made portable GameCube... if only there was more out there...
Similarly GC games aren't really meant for a quick blast on the bus (with a few exceptions). True portables like the Game Boy or NGPC not only combine excellent battery life but their games are designed for quick plays. It's why they still hold up today.
And I'm happy that the Game Boy and/or Nintendo DS lite is like this!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

kitroplious wrote:
A Beta Fu7ure wrote:Battery life would never concern me with a system like this because I'd never use batteries. I never use them on my actual Atari Lynx 2 either. The bulk and size of portable systems like this means they are really just alternatives to hogging the TV. I play them in an armchair with the AC adaptor plugged in.
That's understanding; and part of the reason I can play portable systems (and the Wii U GamePad), is because I have roommates that love watching their TV shows. I could just play what I want while they are using the TV.

But to come back here, I'm kind of tempted into the custom made portable GameCube... if only there was more out there...
I always like the idea of having home console games portable, even if I'm not taking it anywhere. I play Off-TV play sometimes even if the TV's vacent. I also like the idea of having handheld games on my TV, I guess I just like options :lol:
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

The Shoemaker wrote:
kitroplious wrote:

I always like the idea of having home console games portable, even if I'm not taking it anywhere. I play Off-TV play sometimes even if the TV's vacent. I also like the idea of having handheld games on my TV, I guess I just like options :lol:
Reminds me of that Nintendo 1DS spoof that someone did last year, in reaction to Nintendo 2DS! :lol: (Of course, it got taken down)...

It's nice having to play both handheld games on the TV, and vice-versa... so convenient! :)