Digimon: Cyber Sleuth

Sony discussion, including PS3, PS4, Vita, PS VR, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV, and Trophies.
Jordan

Digimon: Cyber Sleuth

Post by Jordan »

Any Digimon fans here?

The newest game is basically Persona with Digimon, maybe a bit more shallow. I actually think it's pretty decent, for once.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Re: Digimon: Cyber Sleuth

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

I honestly never played one.

My only encounter with the series is through stuff like this

What aspect of this new game is the shallow one compared to Persona?
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Jordan

Re: Digimon: Cyber Sleuth

Post by Jordan »

The battle system is a bit simplistic as far as turn based, traditional RPGs go. I've played a lot of better ones.

it's hard to manipulate the turn order and there's no system for social links. The skills also feel like they lack a lot of variety. SMT games place more significance on support skills imo. Those are important in this game but don't seem as critical. A lot of the time it feels like fights are won based on having Digimon with winning attributes in the rock-paper-scissors arrangement they concocted. To put it explicitly, if you're fighting a virus digimon and you have a bunch of vaccine digimon, a lot of the time it seems like you'll kick their ass with no problem whatsoever.

This has kind of changed a bit as I've progressed further though. The last boss I fought was brutally hard and was succeeded by another boss immediately afterward which was non-typed and seemingly resistant to everything except flat damage (unaffected by defense).

Maybe I needed to progress further in order to be exposed to some of the depth this game has. Early on it's very rock-paper-scissors and cheesy, but it has required a bit more strategy as I've gotten further.