What Should I Play Next?

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: What Should I Play Next?

Post by Kong Wen »

Kiwi the Tortoise wrote:Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (Sega CD Version isn't 'Complete') - As much as I like it for the presentation, it is very grindy and hard (especially bosses). Unless you have lot of spare time, don't.
Chrono Cross - Whatever people say, aside from the OST, it isn't a very good game. Playing it just to get it off your to-do list isn't really worth it.
Wild Arms - One can get easily distracted to play other games while playing this, I never actually beat it. The puzzzles and dungeons are kinda neat, the plot really isn't. If you have a save state and you still remember where you are, you may want to get it done with.
Xenogears - It may be a kind of a mess in terms of narrative, art direction and design, but it is a glorious mess.
Suikoden - Suikoden isn't hard or long but pretty darn good.
Front Mission 3 - It has robots, it is incredibly long and while I like it well enough, there is no hurry to play/beat this.
Alright, I've cut Kiwi's quote and comments down to the games worth considering.

Star is looking at playing the PS1 version so he'll be playing Silver Star Story Complete, not The Silver Star Story. :) It's good, charming, and basically plays like a long anime, which should appeal to him.

Chrono Cross is good, but it's not very good. It's pretty much an average PS1-era RPG. Definitely doesn't live up to Chrono Trigger. I still think it's definitely worth playing, it just shouldn't be a priority.

Wild Arms is good, cute, easy, and short. The beginning section of the game actually drags a bit though, so that could be why it sounds like it never really catches anyone's attention.

Xenogears is just awful. One of the worst games I've played. The narrative is a complete mess, and even the game breaks down into a lengthy sequence of slow, boring cut-scenes that aren't even animated halfway through. Not only that, but the fighting system is unbalanced. THAT SAID, given Star's predilection of awful convoluted anime, I think he'll probably like this, so I'm going to have to put it near the top of the list of recommendations just for him.

Suikoden is good, cute, easy, and short, just like Wild Arms, except it's also overall the better game. I'd probably make this one my priority to finish. Knock it out and then you'll be able to move on to something else on this list relatively quickly.

Front Mission 3 is good, but it's quite deep and strategic, and very hard, so it might not be what you're looking for right now.

Summary: 1. Suikoden; 2. Xenogears; 3. Lunar; 4. Wild Arms
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

Kong Wen wrote: Summary: 1. Suikoden; 2. Xenogears; 3. Lunar; 4. Wild Arms
While our points may be different in some regard, I fully support this order. :lol:
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Starmancer
☆Magic Man☆

Post by Starmancer »

I had a feeling you guys would say Suikoden. It wouldn't even be a question if the Vampire Castle wasn't sooo long with no save points at all. Seriously, it's over an hour long on its own, and you can't leave once you're in it. I seem to be a bit underlevelled, too. I might still give it another shot, because the game was great until then and I already know I'm near the end (well, 2/3rds through at least), but I think I'll give Xenogears a try first. Thanks, guys.
Backloggery

Look Ma, Imma Star!