Nintendo Switch

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Jordan

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by Jordan »

Today's FE Direct was kinda rad.

I say kinda because while most of the news was exciting, the Direct showed precious little in terms of actual gameplay or eye popping trailers. Instead, 90% of the presentation was dedicated to showing off the mobile game.

however, we know a few things now:

-A new FE game is definitely (which means probably since delays can happen) coming to the Switch in 2018.

-They're remaking Fire Emblem Gaiden as a new game called Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valencia. This was by far the most exciting and surprising news at the Direct. Furthermore, it's gonna be another 3DS Fire Emblem and is coming out this May!

-Chrom is going to be in FE Warriors. (Whatever)
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

• No response on users’ previous libraries, existing VC library, whether Switch VC will start from scratch
  • No external HDD support at launch, no multimedia apps at launch
  • Capture/share button only saves screenshots to post to social media; no video capture or Twitch/YouTube streaming at launch
  • No bundled games
http://kotaku.com/nintendo-answers-and- ... 1791402953
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Kong Wen wrote:No Netflix on Switch (at launch).

Given that there are Netflix apps on every platform under the sun, I'd say it's safe to assume one will be coming to Switch eventually. If Nintendo hopes to leverage Switch's unique form factor to make it a viable home system, it'll definitely need some good multimedia capabilities. Netflix is the most obvious bog-standard one.
Dang. Because I don't have anything else that can play Netflix in 2017! haha. Remember when The PS3 came out and it being a bluray player was a HUGE selling point!?

I have no doubt that Netflix will come to the switch, and I will use it when it does, but the fact that you can practically watch Netflix on a bar of soap in 2017 means that this is not a deal breaker in any way.
Last edited by Kreegs on 20 Jan 2017 05:14, edited 1 time in total.
I intend to live forever, or die trying
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kreegs wrote:Remember when The PS2 came out and it being a blue ray player was a HUGE selling point!?
Do you mean PS3 and Blu-ray or PS2 and DVD? PS2 and DVD seem'd like a massive deal. PS3 and Blu-ray not so much.
Drumble doesn't respect the sigs so here's a link to my backloggery
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Slurmee wrote:
Kreegs wrote:Remember when The PS2 came out and it being a blue ray player was a HUGE selling point!?
Do you mean PS3 and Blu-ray or PS2 and DVD? PS2 and DVD seem'd like a massive deal. PS3 and Blu-ray not so much.
I meant PS3 and blu ray. Will edit!
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Kreegs wrote:I have no doubt that Netflix will come to the switch, and I will use it when it does, but the fact that you can practically watch Netflix on a bar of soap in 2017 means that this is not a deal breaker in any way.
Not being a deal-breaker (for you) doesn't mean it's not an embarrassing negative. :) I wonder how many generations in a row Nintendo can go not learning any lessons from their industry. At best, learning some lessons and actively forgetting others.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I actually couldn't give less of a shit about Netflix but I still agree with Kong. Nintendo repeatedly underperforms as far as technology and utility, and should have been taking notes from their failures in previous generations.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I don't have a tablet so netflix would be a great feature.
Drumble doesn't respect the sigs so here's a link to my backloggery
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote:
Kreegs wrote:I have no doubt that Netflix will come to the switch, and I will use it when it does, but the fact that you can practically watch Netflix on a bar of soap in 2017 means that this is not a deal breaker in any way.
Not being a deal-breaker (for you) doesn't mean it's not an embarrassing negative. :) I wonder how many generations in a row Nintendo can go not learning any lessons from their industry. At best, learning some lessons and actively forgetting others.
Caught up with this thread, and I feel like my feelings regarding the Switch are very similar to yours. The difference being, possibly, that I have a distinct adoration for the main, platformer Super Mario series, so getting this thing this year is not negotiable for me. That (plus the fact that I just like new toys a lot) mean I'm getting it at launch. But I'm not exactly excited about it. I really wish Nintendo would do a lot of things better, but they, in many ways, are astoundingly out-of-touch, with seemingly no recourse.

Oh well. Like I said, I like new toys. I feel pretty certain it will justify its $300 price tag by the end of its lifespan, so I guess that's all that matters. I just don't think Nintendo can survive on diehards like me.
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote:Caught up with this thread, and I feel like my feelings regarding the Switch are very similar to yours. The difference being, possibly, that I have a distinct adoration for the main, platformer Super Mario series, so getting this thing this year is not negotiable for me. That (plus the fact that I just like new toys a lot) mean I'm getting it at launch.
In which case, the only difference is in the reasons we're getting it at launch. Me, earlier:
Jogurt the Yogurt wrote:I'm still going to get one, because I get all video game systems and play all video games. I'm not psyched about it, but I'm sure I'll get entertainmentpleasures from some of the software that uses this platform to deliver them.
I'm a big fan of the main, platformer Super Mario games—Super Mario Bros. 1-2-3 and World are some of the best games out there (yes, even 2)—I just don't like 3D games as much.