Nintendo Switch

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by Spore »

I'm just here for Mario and Zelda.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Spore wrote:I'm just here for Mario and Zelda.
I'm just here for the Switchware game that turns the tablet into one of those tilty-table puzzle maze things, from ShovelCo™ for only $14.99.

• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

Kong Wen wrote:
Spore wrote:I'm just here for Mario and Zelda.
I'm just here for the Switchware game that turns the tablet into one of those tilty-table puzzle maze things, from ShovelCo™ for only $14.99.

If we removed the holes because that'd be a monumental pain in the butt, I feel like a ball-tilt maze with the HD-Rumble™ feature would be a great minigame for that 1, 2, Switch game nobody is going to buy.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote:
Claytone wrote:Caught up with this thread, and I feel like my feelings regarding the Switch are very similar to yours. The difference being, possibly, that I have a distinct adoration for the main, platformer Super Mario series, so getting this thing this year is not negotiable for me. That (plus the fact that I just like new toys a lot) mean I'm getting it at launch.
In which case, the only difference is in the reasons we're getting it at launch. Me, earlier:
Jogurt the Yogurt wrote:I'm still going to get one, because I get all video game systems and play all video games. I'm not psyched about it, but I'm sure I'll get entertainmentpleasures from some of the software that uses this platform to deliver them.
I'm a big fan of the main, platformer Super Mario games—Super Mario Bros. 1-2-3 and World are some of the best games out there (yes, even 2)—I just don't like 3D games as much.
Ah, I misunderstood and thought you weren't buying at launch. Totally agree that the first four Marios are awesome. Also think that Galaxy 1 and 2 are in league with them, but I agree that the 3D ones are generally not as good (still great, IMO, but not as good).

Anyway, yeah, somehow I was under the impression you were waiting until later to get the Switch. Oops.
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote:Totally agree that the first four Marios are awesome. Also think that Galaxy 1 and 2 are in league with them, but I agree that the 3D ones are generally not as good (still great, IMO, but not as good).

Anyway, yeah, somehow I was under the impression you were waiting until later to get the Switch. Oops.
Probably because of my complaining. :)

I agree that Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are great, and SM64 is good in its own way, and that lots of people like them, but they are completely different genres, and I appreciate one of those genres far more than the other.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I think Nintendo finally understands gamers...

In other news, this commercial confirms that you can play in tabletop mode using the Pro Controller, in case anyone was wondering.

Maybe it's just due to what I grew up with, but I have a lot stronger memories of me playing 3D Mario like 64, Sunshine and Galaxy than I do playing 2D Mario - which isn't to say I didn't play ALOT of 2D Mario when I was young, Super Mario All-Stars did me well. I like the freedom and scope of the 3D games. It also seems to me like it's a bigger deal when a 3D Mario is coming out compared to a 2D Mario, but maybe that also has to do with how Nintendo has handled the New Super Mario Bros. series.

After Mario Maker, I'm hoping Nintendo has a new direction for 2D Mario. Something that will really surprise us.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Do we know if this systems plays nice with streaming? That's how we'll know if Nintendo truly understands gamers, given how huge streaming and video capture is in the subculture right now.

Does it have a built-in streaming/share functionality?

I know it doesn't have video capture right now, but it's something that could be added.

Does it at least have a menu option to enable/disable HDCP so you can stream using capture cards?
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:Do we know if this systems plays nice with streaming? That's how we'll know if Nintendo truly understands gamers, given how huge streaming and video capture is in the subculture right now.

I know it doesn't have video capture right now, but it's something that could be added.

Does it at least have a menu option to enable/disable HDCP so you can stream using capture cards?
Surely having the option to play while on the toilet is enough for most gamers, isn't it???

Given the share button being directly on the Joy Con's, I have to think they have solid plans for sharing. I mean it's Nintendo, but I got to think that button is indicative of there being more than basic screen capturing.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote:Do we know if this systems plays nice with streaming? That's how we'll know if Nintendo truly understands gamers, given how huge streaming and video capture is in the subculture right now.

I seem to recall pretty distinctly that they mentioned that "video would be added at a later day" wrt the share button. No, whether that means streaming or clips is up to interpretation. Hopefully they get this right.
You got BOOST power!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I take the 3DS with me to my throne all the time. This is a big selling point for me.