Tales series.

Sony discussion, including PS3, PS4, Vita, PS VR, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV, and Trophies.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Tales series.

Post by SkyPikachu »

I have never played a game in the Tales series and they look interesting. I was wondering what game I should start with to get into the series? Note that I don't have a vita or a psp.
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Re: Tales series.

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

I played
Tales of Phantasia on GBA - the first in the series, originally on SNES
Tales of Eternia on PSP - originally released on PS1
Tales of Symphonia on GC - got an HD treatment re-release

Of those three Symphonia is the only one that was good.
Largely due to the fun combat and nice art-style.
The story is a blend of genre tropes (seriously, it has every trope possible and you see the twists coming from miles away) and frankly it feels like a pick-and-mix of other games in the genre (half the cast seem to have been directly lifted from Wild Arms 2). But it is entertaining.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Kiwi the Tortoise wrote:I played
Tales of Phantasia on GBA - the first in the series, originally on SNES
Tales of Eternia on PSP - originally released on PS1
Tales of Symphonia on GC - got an HD treatment re-release

Of those three Symphonia is the only one that was good.
Largely due to the fun combat and nice art-style.
The story is a blend of genre tropes (seriously, it has every trope possible and you see the twists coming from miles away) and frankly it feels like a pick-and-mix of other games in the genre (half the cast seem to have been directly lifted from Wild Arms 2). But it is entertaining.
I would agree that Tales of Symphonia is good though trope-ridden. It's fun to play, looks great, and the characters are likable.

I've been disappointed in the other couple I've played: Symphonia 2 (Dawn of the New World) and Xillia.
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I liked xillia, at least in terms of gameplay. I thought the combo system was very fun. The characters could be cheesy though and the story definitely fell apart, especially by the end.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

So anybody playing Berseria?

I picked up a 360 controller and bought the game on Steam. I'm having fun so far. I kind of wish they explained the battle system a bit better though. I don't really know what I'm doing with that. I mostly just button mash and occasionally dodge or evade (quick step or whatever you call it).

The story has been good so far and the characters are quite likeable.