Rise of the Tomb Raider: Xbox Exclusive

Microsoft discussion, including Xbox 360, Xbox One, Scorpio, Xbox Live Arcade, Achievements & Gamerscore, Games on Demand, and Kinect.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider: Xbox Exclusive

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote:
Claytone wrote:Yeah, knowing that this is timed now makes me wonder why MS would pay for this. A timed exclusive will only shift Xboxes to the most impulsive buyers out there.
In general, I don't think it's a bad strategy, especially with a holiday launch window. You have a lot of people who are interested in snagging a new console and many of them only look at what's out now, not what's coming out soon. I just don't think Tomb Raider is necessarily the best game to do it with... but then again, I could be wrong. Maybe it has an obsessive fan base, especially if slangman's sales figures are right, but I always thought of it as a pretty generic adventure game.
I have that problem in general with AAA games. They are marketed with such mass appeal that they always look super bland to me, and they always come with the waves and waves of 10/10 reviews, but that never turns my head much. Probably just the contrarian in me.

Edit: On the other hand, that's why I always push myself to play games in series I've never played but heard good things about (see my post in the resolutions thread). Keeps me from settling into the same old series, which I'm wont to do. Some notable series I *still* haven't played include Final Fantasy and Assassin's Creed. Some day, maybe. Have very little interest in the latter.

It's just a scarcity problem, I guess. So many games and not nearly enough time to play them all. And yet, many of us (myself included) feel compelled to have opinions about them all.

All of this is way off topic, but just something on my mind. Seems odd to critically analyze a whole medium when it's difficult to make a dent in consuming the near infinite instances of it.
You got BOOST power!
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider: Xbox Exclusive

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote:
Slurmee wrote:Boo screw you Square Enix!
Just so everyone knows going forward, I'd like to avoid this kind of "empty post" on these forums. For example, instead of just emoting, try to offer some rationale for why this move makes you react negatively. This will help us keep the quality of the discussions up.
Boo screw you... Oh wait haha... Okay I will keep that in mind.
Kong Wen wrote:
Claytone wrote:It's an interesting move. The smart move would have been to get the original reboot as an exclusive rather than the sequel, but obviously they didn't manage that. Will be interesting to see if the game does well as a Bone exclusive.
Update: "Obviously the deal does have a duration." - Phil Spencer

It looks like I won't have to eat my hat, as the man in charge of Xbox has seemingly confirmed the exclusive is timed. Square Enix obviously wouldn't give away a 10M-machine market, and Microsoft wouldn't be able to buy that market from them—no matter how many Xbox systems the deal would be expected to push, it would never be able to make up the slack.

All that remains to be learned is the exclusivity window / timeline. Spencer is staying mum about that for obvious reasons: he doesn't want to be the one to announce when a big game will be coming to competing platforms.
I'm relieved that it's a timed exclusive. I never understood them though. I'm not going to buy a XBone over a PS4 just because a game is coming out earlier on the XBone. Maybe i'm the minority though.