PlayStation 4 Pro

Sony discussion, including PS3, PS4, Vita, PS VR, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV, and Trophies.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: PlayStation 4 Pro

Post by SkyPikachu »

It's a poor design choice of the PS4 that it's not easily compatible then.

Parents want a console for there child they see the price of PS3 games and price of PS4 games and decides to buy a pre-owned PS3 because of that had the PS4 be backwards compatible they might be convinced to buy the more expensive console due to having a bigger library.

Regarding the PS4 Pro $150 more for 4k HD really isn't enough.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

Slurmee wrote:It's a poor design choice of the PS4 that it's not easily compatible then.
I'd say it's more a poor design choice of the PS3. The PS4 brought Sony back into sanity.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Spore wrote:
Slurmee wrote:It's a poor design choice of the PS4 that it's not easily compatible then.
I'd say it's more a poor design choice of the PS3. The PS4 brought Sony back into sanity.
This. PS3 used esoteric architecture. It would be biting them now if PS4 weren't doing so well on its own merits. Demanding PS3 compatibility on PS4 is akin to expecting a Game Boy Advance cart to work in an iPhone. Just as you'd need ports or emulation, streaming and remakes/remasters are pretty much the only way to get PS3 games running on PS4.

I mean, are people arguing that Sony should have included a PS3 drive and GPU in the PS4 Pro? They'd have to add a few more layers to the top of the system to do that. :)
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kong Wen wrote:
Spore wrote:
This. PS3 used esoteric architecture. It would be biting them now if PS4 weren't doing so well on its own merits. Demanding PS3 compatibility on PS4 is akin to expecting a Game Boy Advance cart to work in an iPhone. Just as you'd need ports or emulation, streaming and remakes/remasters are pretty much the only way to get PS3 games running on PS4.

I mean, are people arguing that Sony should have included a PS3 drive and GPU in the PS4 Pro? They'd have to add a few more layers to the top of the system to do that. :)
Well, the jump from PS4 to PS4 Pro was one extra layer, I'd say 4 layers total would do it!

Not trying to slam you here Slurmee, but are there a lot of parents buying PS4's for their kids? I figure it's more of a teenager device, and my guess is parents won't know if a device is backwards compat or not when they are buying it.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote:
Spore wrote:

They're different companies though the DS could play GBA games which was wonderful also 10 years on you have no idea how thankful I am that my GBA SP can play all game boy/Color/advance games it saves me hording around 3 consoles. Same with the Wii playing GameCube games which was a huge selling point. Even if it's more complex I still feel cheated for being a long term supporter
Spore wrote:
PS3 was successful it outsold the Xbox 360 iirc so I don't quite understand what you're implying?

Edit: CBB Quoting shoe. I was talking more about parents that are now buying the PS3. Advertising that the PS4 can do everything the 3 can do already would be appealing and help sell the PS4. PS3 pre owned sales don't help Sony much
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Slurmee wrote:They're different companies though the DS could play GBA games which was wonderful
That they're different companies is completely irrelevant to my point, which is that the limiting factor is hardware. :) The DS could play GBA games because it literally had a GBA in it.
Slurmee wrote:
Spore wrote:
PS3 was successful it outsold the Xbox 360 iirc so I don't quite understand what you're implying?
He's saying the reason PS3 games aren't backwards compatible on PS4 hardware is because of poor PS3 design/planning, not that PS3 was unsuccessful. I wouldn't even call it poor design, really. They just didn't know they'd paint themselves into a corner with its weird architecture.
Slurmee wrote:I was talking more about parents that are now buying the PS3. Advertising that the PS4 can do everything the 3 can do already would be appealing and help sell the PS4. PS3 pre owned sales don't help Sony much
Yeah, I think this is just Shoe & the rest of us not really understanding how different the Australian gaming market is from ours in North America. I don't think anyone's really buying PS3s for their kids anymore? But what do I know, I'm an old man with no kids. :lol:

And no one's claiming that backwards compatibility isn't awesome. I think we'd all be happy to take it if it were easy and available.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote:
Slurmee wrote:I was talking more about parents that are now buying the PS3. Advertising that the PS4 can do everything the 3 can do already would be appealing and help sell the PS4. PS3 pre owned sales don't help Sony much
Yeah, I think this is just Shoe & the rest of us not really understanding how different the Australian gaming market is from ours in North America. I don't think anyone's really buying PS3s for their kids anymore? But what do I know, I'm an old man with no kids. :lol:

And no one's claiming that backwards compatibility isn't awesome. I think we'd all be happy to take it if it were easy and available.
I got a SNES when the N64 came out. So maybe there's not as many people that do that anymore. I use to be good friends with a video game owner and he said that parents would really like PS2 game prices over PS3 and buy PS2 because of it. This was 2008 ish.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Slurmee wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:

I got a SNES when the N64 came out. So maybe there's not as many people that do that anymore. I use to be good friends with a video game owner and he said that parents would really like PS2 game prices over PS3 and buy PS2 because of it. This was 2008 ish.
there's a chance Sony is missing out on PS4 sales by not having backwards compat, but I'm sure they're saving money by not having to invest the time to make it work, especially when it comes to remastered games. Get people to rebuy rather than replay.

Also, even if people are buying used Ps3's, it's still likely they''ll pay for PlayStation plus or buy discounted new PS3' games from target ect. And of course people playing your system and your games can only increase the chances of them buying more products from you in the future.

So overall, I don't think it's hurting Sony much. Backwards compatibility is great, but I think we'll only continue to see it on PC and mobile.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Purchased MLB The Show 17 the other day on impulse (and because it's a great sports sim). In doing so, I also finally purchased my first PS4 Pro enabled game. It looks quite nice! It experiences some frame rate dipping from time to time, but the increase in visual fidelity at 4K with HDR enabled is nice. It's obviously nowhere near the jump that SD->HD was, but it's a nice visual perk.

I hear the Ratchet & Clank remake got a Pro patch as well, so I can't wait to see a game as vibrant as that in 4K when I finally get around to trying it.
You got BOOST power!
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

I think I'll buy one of these once I get my bonus in August....
I’ve been waiting for the sun to come up. Waiting for the showers to stop. Waiting for the penny to drop. One time. And I’ve been standing in a cloud of plans. Standing on the shifting sands. Hoping for an open hand. One time.