Rumour claims Nintendo is working on a remaster for 2015

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Re: Rumour claims Nintendo is working on a remaster for 2015

Post by kitroplious »

Kiwi the Tortoise wrote:My bet is on Image
I would love a Super Mario Galaxy remastered collection on Wii U! :)
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

For the people suggesting a Super Mario Galaxy HD collection... is there a precedent for one of the big companies releasing an HD remaster of a game that already exists in playable form on the current hardware?

I guess the Metroid Prime collection on Wii counts. Fair enough. I suppose that's enough to make SMG a possible remaster candidate.

Well, if we can dream big dreams, then this is my last-gen HD compilation of choice:

• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Kong Wen wrote:For the people suggesting a Super Mario Galaxy HD collection... is there a precedent for one of the big companies releasing an HD remaster of a game that already exists in playable form on the current hardware?

I guess the Metroid Prime collection on Wii counts. Fair enough. I suppose that's enough to make SMG a possible remaster candidate.

Well, if we can dream big dreams, then this is my last-gen HD compilation of choice:

Last of Us got remastered even before dust collected.
No more nightmares, I’ve seen them all. From the day I was born, they’ve haunted my every move.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:is there a precedent for one of the big companies releasing an HD remaster of a game that already exists in playable form on the current hardware?
The original version of Last of Us isn't playable on current hardware.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Kong Wen wrote:
Sharecrow wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:is there a precedent for one of the big companies releasing an HD remaster of a game that already exists in playable form on the current hardware?
The original version of Last of Us isn't playable on current hardware.
Of course it wouldn't come out on a Ninty console - am just saying that the Galaxy games aren't too recent to be regurgitated. If I were in the market, I'd be hoping for Mario Sunshine, though, personally. That or the GameCube Baten Kaitos games.
No more nightmares, I’ve seen them all. From the day I was born, they’ve haunted my every move.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote:Of course it wouldn't come out on a Ninty console - am just saying that the Galaxy games aren't too recent to be regurgitated.
I was asking about whether there was a precedent for the release of a remastered version of a game that already plays on current hardware. Metroid Prime Trilogy was the only example that came to mind, but thinking about it some more, Nintendo did a handful of other GameCube updates (Pikmin, Tennis, etc.). GameCube games, of course, were natively playable on Wii, and Wii games are playable on Wii U, which is what prompted my question. It seemed jarring to me to release a remaster of Galaxy for a console that already plays Galaxy.

The PS3 was a big offender for remasters—there were a lot of HD collections of PS2 games—but none of those PS2 games were playable natively on the PS3, so the effort to port them over was justified with a new player base. The PS4 has had a couple remasters, too: The Last of Us, Journey, Unfinished Swan, Flower, etc. Again, none of those games were natively playable on the PS4 before they were ported.

The only non-Nintendo example I can think of right now might be Fable and Fable Anniversary? Then again, I think the latter might be a more significant remake than what we're talking about here.
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Post by Claytone »

Kong Wen wrote:
The PS3 was a big offender for remasters—there were a lot of HD collections of PS2 games—but none of those PS2 games were playable natively on the PS3, so the effort to port them over was justified with a new player base. The PS4 has had a couple remasters, too: The Last of Us, Journey, Unfinished Swan, Flower, etc. Again, none of those games were natively playable on the PS4 before they were ported.

The only non-Nintendo example I can think of right now might be Fable and Fable Anniversary? Then again, I think the latter might be a more significant remake than what we're talking about here.
Bro, what? Launch window PS3s definitely supported backwards compatibility with PS2, though I don't know how long that lasted.

Wii also eventually dropped GameCube backwards compatibility (why, I don't know).
You got BOOST power!
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Claytone wrote:Bro, what? Launch window PS3s definitely supported backwards compatibility with PS2, though I don't know how long that lasted.
They were out of production long before the first HD remasters & compilations ever appeared on the shelves.

Wasn't it only in the horrible Wii Mini models that no one ever bought that dropped GCN compatibility? Or, wait, there was a "slim" model in 2012 that dropped GCN support too, wasn't there. This is kind of the converse of the PS3 situation, where the functionality was dropped long after the remasters were released and long after the system had made the vast majority of its sales.

Anyway, this is all moot because history tells us Nintendo is the most willing of the big companies to release a shiny version of a currently playable game on the same platform. That means Galaxy should be more than possible. I'd have a hard time hoping for that one though.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Yeah I believe GameCube support was dropped in 2011-12 sometime, I think the console was made to sit on its side rather than straight up. So all of the Gamecube releases came out while the Wii could still play Gamecube games. The big draw was motion controls I guess, and the fact that the Wii had a way bigger audience than the Gamecube did.

Galaxy would be nice, but I do feel like it's too soon for me. Sunshine would be great with the HD water. The Fire Emblem collection would be cool, though I would like to see all the character models completely redone and have much more cut scenes added to the games, or at least make the scenes look more dynamic.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:Galaxy would be nice, but I do feel like it's too soon for me. Sunshine would be great with the HD water.
The more I hear Sunshine mentioned, the more I think it would make for a great remaster. It's pretty much the one truly unheralded main-series Mario game. Even Super Mario Bros. 2 gets re-released and ported all the time.