What game that is considered a fantastic game in the gaming community did you hate?

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

What game that is considered a fantastic game in the gaming community did you hate?

Post by SkyPikachu »

I'm sure everyone has heard about a game being amazing gone out and bought it and just hated it and I was wondering what those games were.

For me the current stand out in Breathe of the Wild.

The Legend of Zelda: Breathe of the Wild - 97 on Metacritics

There's a lot I really hated about this game. There were no big dungeons as shrines replaced them which really annoyed me. Climbing up those towers all the time got super annoying but the biggest thing was weapons breaking. I get what they were trying to do but it just got so annoying oh cool I got an awesome sword but it'll break after a few fights so whatever. Also the world feels so empty. I feel like I'm constantly just walking around in nothing. There's a bunch of other things that really bothered me as well.

Mass Effect - 91 on metacritics

This might be because I was a teen when I tried it out and was way more in gameplay than story back then but the first few hours were just boring and the combat seem to fall flat. After a few hours I returned the game as it was just meh.

Pikmin - 89 on Metacritics

I love the concept but the time limit really really bothered me I hated feeling rushed. I don't understand why it bothered me so much but it made it unbearable for me.

Gears of Wars 1/2 - 94 and 93 on Metacritics

Boring colors made for boring visual weird controls which made it feel like crash bandicoot type freedom (which was fine for Crash but not this) dull boring story I really struggle to see the hype over this game.

Anyway what are some of yours?
Claytone
Southland Scion
Southland Scion

Re: What game that is considered a fantastic game in the gaming community did you hate?

Post by Claytone »

Dark Souls is astonishingly boring. I couldn't conceive of a less exciting combat-feel if I tried. I'm gonna give this series (or at least its ilk) one more try with 🅱️🅱️ before I write it off completely. Some of the changes to it seem substantial enough to maybe swing me toward enjoying it. I have a friend who also hated DS but loved 🅱️🅱️, so I figure it's possible I would too.

Halo (series) is just okay. I get that a lot of the nostalgia for it stems from having played the multiplayer at the time it was out, but I know some folks that swear by the campaign as well (esp. the buddy I've played through 1-4 with), but I actually think it's pretty garbage. 4 and ODST had all right stories, but miss me with the rest. I'll probably continue to play the series because it is serviceable couch co-op with aforementioned buddy, but I'd likely have stopped at Halo 1 if I'd been playing alone.
You got BOOST power!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Re: What game that is considered a fantastic game in the gaming community did you hate?

Post by The Shoemaker »

I like most games I play, so it's hard for me to think of a highly regarded game that I didn't like. The examples I do have mostly come from me likely not playing enough.

Destiny: I'm not big on first person shooters, or crazy about online play so the odds were against me. I tried the first fee missions and found them immensely boring. I'm aware I didn't make it to the meat of the game, and I'm sure it's great, but it was definitely one of the biggest wastes of money for me

Witcher 3: again, didn't get too far, maybe 10 hours in. I found the story to be too overbearing when I just wanted to play the game. Didn't find the combat too interesting either. I think it gets a lot better, but I wasn't willing to give it the time.

Sonic Mania: this is one instance where I did beat the game and still didn't find it to be that great. I think I fundamentally dislike the sonic formula, even though I had fun with it when I was younger.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons