Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

Alternative consoles (e.g. Ouya), arcades, board gaming, card games, cross-platform, pen & paper, pinball, retro gaming, tabletop, and any other form of gaming that doesn't fit the other categories can be discussed here.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

Post by Kong Wen »

Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition is coming to PS4 on 1 July, as well as Xbox One, Xbox 360, and Wii U around the same time.

In the comments on the PS Blog, they mentioned they're looking into a way to provide a discount on the PS4 version for people who already own the game on PS3/Vita.

The new release comes with all the DLC from the previous Gold edition, as well as all kinds of new content, including new enemies, levels, costumes, etc. It also has a different trophy list that should provide some additional new challenges.

A bunch of us thoroughly enjoyed this game last year (I completed it on PS3 and Steam, and I think I'll probably take this chance to play it again). Is anyone else interested in this new version?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: Guacamelee! STCE coming 1 July

Post by VictorViper »

I might be coaxed into another copy if they do offer a price cut for prior owners. Wouldn't bother with it until I get a PS4 though.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

I'll probably pick this one up for Wii U sometime this summer. Looking forward to the new version of the game!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

I hear it`s metroid-like, if that`s the case I`m interested. Though I will have to wait as I have way too many digital games to play right now.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

It's definitely a Metroidvania and it's a damn good one. A fantastic combat system really elevates it and I strongly recommend it to everyone who likes this kind of a game. Honestly, I can't think of too many people who wouldn't enjoy it!
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

The Shoemaker wrote:I hear it`s metroid-like, if that`s the case I`m interested. Though I will have to wait as I have way too many digital games to play right now.
I'm going to echo Vic's sentiments: not only is it a Metroid-style game (action/adventure/exploration-type genre with areas opened up by acquiring upgrades), but it's one of the best examples of the genre in recent memory. The map & world are great, the character progression is finely balanced, and the fighting/combat mechanics are really flexible, responsive, and tuned.

It looks like they haven't implemented a discount on PS4 for people who own the previous version of the game on PS3/Vita (it's showing up as $14.99 in the store), so I'll be waiting for a sale. I definitely plan on getting it again, but there's no sense in paying full price.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Awesome, sounds like I definitely need to pick it up. Again, I'll deal with titles like Shovel Knight and 1001 Spikes first.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Have kept my eye on this title since it was announced for Wii U, so I'll most likely get that version at some point.
Grt. Merlin

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Here an interesting post on level design by DrinkBox's level design guy. It'll probably be most interesting to people who have already played the original version of the game, as a window into how they approached creating the new content.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

Post by Kong Wen »

Just an update: I completed this game earlier this week and got the platinum trophy (was playing on PS4). The new content really does add a lot to the game—the new zones are huge, there are new enemies that are more powerful than the ones in the original game, the new boss has a really interesting gameplay gimmick (he's easy though), and some existing arenas are tweaked to have different challenges.

I could have done with a bit more challenge (it seems like they nerfed some of the combat arenas in the Pollo cavern and El Infierno), but overall it was well worth the $13 and I strongly encourage anyone who hasn't tried the original to play this upgraded version as soon as possible.