Yakuza Series

Sony discussion, including PS3, PS4, Vita, PS VR, PlayStation Network, PlayStation Mobile, PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Now, PlayStation TV, and Trophies.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Yakuza Series

Post by Kong Wen »

Yakuza has actually been one of Sega's biggest successes in the past several years, and they're remastering all of the "middle" entries in the series starting with 3 this summer and finishing with 5 next spring. Every entry in the series will then be available on PS4.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/22/17380 ... 4-remaster

The first two games are available in remastered "Kiwami" form already, and then there's Yakuza 0, which is a prequel. Yakuza 6 is the most recent new entry in the series, which is natively on PS4.

I got a discount code for Yakuza 0 from that Humble bundle a while back, so I'm thinking I might jump on and see what this series is about.

Has anyone else played any of these games?
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kiwi the Tortoise
Sentient Reptile
Sentient Reptile

Re: Yakuza Series

Post by Kiwi the Tortoise »

I can only speak and judge the series from playing Yakuza 4 on the PS3.

What you get:
- A lot of varied content and differnent mechanics, some working out better than others.
- Tons of mini-games and side activities.
- A very lush, complex, fun and convincing area to explore. Possibly the best part of the game.
- Melodrama in more or less funny (some deliberate, others not) cutscenes. The story is actually quite nice.
- A high chance of getting distracted and lost along the way. The game is actually quite long, even without all that side stuff.

Last I played it I got lost in a Dojo management side-game that is completely optional... and I kinda never continued with the main plot after that.
Kiwi the TORT joins the Shining Force!