Mini-NES

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: Mini-NES

Post by SkyPikachu »

kitroplious wrote: 26 May 2018 05:23
Slurmee wrote: 26 May 2018 05:18
Kreegs wrote: 26 May 2018 02:01 Are we giving up hope that NES classic will be rereleased? Or do we think it might pop up at E3 along with N64 Classic?
Oh god I hope the N64 classic isn't a thing. The controller was awful and those games (that whole generation) has aged so badly.

Just release them on switch so I can play with a controller that can be used by 2 handed people.
Yeah skip to the GameCube please! ;)
:down:

Release gamecube games on the switch instead as well.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Kreegs wrote: 26 May 2018 02:01 Are we giving up hope that NES classic will be rereleased? Or do we think it might pop up at E3 along with N64 Classic?
Oh god I hope the N64 classic isn't a thing. The controller was awful and those games (that whole generation) has aged so badly.

Just release them on switch so I can play with a controller that can be used by 2 handed people.
Too much wishful thinking. Even if they don't do an n64 classic, those games aren't coming to switch any time soon. The best we can hope for in the next year is SNES games along side NES games I'd say.

Though I was thinking something similar. While there are some n64 games I'd love to replay, I have very little interest in playing them on an n64 classic, I just want them on Switch.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

"Oh god I hope the N64 classic isn't a thing. The controller was awful and those games (that whole generation) has aged so badly."

What is it that those games aged badly?
Doesn't make sense
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

kawaiipikachu wrote: 26 May 2018 21:41
"Oh god I hope the N64 classic isn't a thing. The controller was awful and those games (that whole generation) has aged so badly."

Doesn't make sense
Graphically they hadn’t made character models look reasonable so they’re very blocky and weird where as PS2 generation graphics aged a lot better. I think the biggest issue was camera controls hadn’t been perfected in 3d games at that point either not to mention using the n64 controller is a hot mess. Not having a second analog stick hurts a lot. A lot of games also struggled to transition from 2d to 3d and were working out the kinks during that generation.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

N64 was definitely a growing phase. Some games hold up better than others, but you could easily fill an n64 classic with 15+ worthy games. The more difficult part is getting the licenses for certain titles.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

The Shoemaker wrote: 27 May 2018 03:28 N64 was definitely a growing phase. Some games hold up better than others, but you could easily fill an n64 classic with 15+ worthy games. The more difficult part is getting the licenses for certain titles.
The lose of GoldenEye 007, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini and Conker's Bad Fur Day hurts a lot for a standalone system

Nintendo should release a rare replay type collection for the N64 games (minus the rare titles) as a $60 game. People would buy the crap out of that and it's much cheaper than making a mini console. Solves the issue of making 4 controllers for each system (or the backlash of not having 4 controllers for each system), solves the issue of the N64 controller being weird and clunky as you can use the pro controller or joy cons. Make classic N64 controllers to sell alongside the game so people have the option of playing the games on the original controller.

Basically instead of making a whole console making a switch game that sells for $60 and make a n64 classic controller that sell for $30-$50 each.

They'll get people buying 4 controllers and the game for $180+ which is way more than the mini consoles sell for and they'll sell way more carts/digital downloads of a game (with a console base of over 17 million) than they ever would with a classic console. It gives everyone an option to play how they like and better yet makes Nintendo more money with less effort and solves the issue of limited edition mini consoles that are hard to obtain.

Also it stops people being disappointed about no Virtual Console (kinda).
kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

Slurmee wrote: 26 May 2018 23:58
kawaiipikachu wrote: 26 May 2018 21:41

Doesn't make sense
Graphically they hadn’t made character models look reasonable so they’re very blocky and weird where as PS2 generation graphics aged a lot better. I think the biggest issue was camera controls hadn’t been perfected in 3d games at that point either not to mention using the n64 controller is a hot mess. Not having a second analog stick hurts a lot. A lot of games also struggled to transition from 2d to 3d and were working out the kinks during that generation.
I can understand controls to some extent even then given enough time can easily get back into those games.
As for the graphics in it self even thou graphically impressive back then, I also see some of the limitations some are glaring obvious.
Take Goldeneye for example, I always found the face models ugly back then.
As for other models of objects & scenery, they always looked nothing more than paper craft with ugly pixel art printed on then.

To me graphics was always as ugly back then as it is now so to me they never aged.
The Shoemaker wrote: 27 May 2018 03:28 N64 was definitely a growing phase. Some games hold up better than others, but you could easily fill an n64 classic with 15+ worthy games. The more difficult part is getting the licenses for certain titles.
Licensing deals can be award
A lot of titles people want seems to be Rare titles & rare is now owned by Microsoft.
Even less likely is Goldeneye with multiple licensing issues.
First of all if I'm remember rightly Activision is the current rights holder to produce games & have to go throw them

Even without that theres the Bond Novel license the Bond movie License the music License & finally cast likeness licenses.
While the novel, movie & book license are probably the easiest to sort out it's only getting in contact with every cast member whose likeness used in the game & asking permission.
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I was up really late editing Plot Threads and I checked the EB Games website as their clock was rolling over, so I managed to order one of these before they immediately sold out! Can't wait to get it loaded up with all my NES games. <3
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Got to Target at 6:20 this morning. I was 4th in line and got one!
I intend to live forever, or die trying
Kreegs
Space Mountain Climber
Space Mountain Climber

Post by Kreegs »

Kong Wen wrote: 29 Jun 2018 13:29 I was up really late editing Plot Threads and I checked the EB Games website as their clock was rolling over, so I managed to order one of these before they immediately sold out! Can't wait to get it loaded up with all my NES games. <3
Are you performing some modifications using creative liberties?
I intend to live forever, or die trying