Robin Williams passes away

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Robin Williams passes away

Post by kitroplious »

It's saddening to report that actor Robin Williams (the father of the actress and [Nintendo] video game legend, Zelda Williams) has passed away today. The cause of death is suicide, but it may be speculation at the moment.
evildevil97
Adept

Re: Robin Williams passes away

Post by evildevil97 »

Really is hard to believe. I've always hesitated to refer to him as a legend, but he was a terrific comedian and comic actor, and an important figure of my childhood, with Mrs. Doubtfire and Aladdin. He will certainly be missed.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

To young :(
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Definitely sad to see this news. I know he had some struggles but he just seemed like a genuinely nice man. Big part of my childhood growing up, I actually met him at the mall in Winnipeg once. He was shooting a movie there and was hanging out in the mall trying not to be noticed so I just said a quick hello.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

Sad news indeed. Knew him from Mork & Mindy, liked most movies he played in.
Grt. Merlin

kawaiipikachu
Aspirant

Post by kawaiipikachu »

Yes it was truly sad as not only one on our comedic greats passed away, yet a good humanitarian.

One of the TV networks here decided to air Mrs Doubtfire & afaik it's the first movie I saw him in.
"Into the distance, a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a wind swept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
"
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I have been waiting for Billy Crystal's tribute to Robin Williams, because I know they were friends and I remember them performing together back when I was a kid. It happened tonight at the Emmys, and I found it suitably respectful, touching, and personal.

• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

Thanks for linking that, Jog. I'm glad Crystal got to make the tribute. Very nice, and a fine reminder of his unique talent to have us laughing and crying at once.

On another note, I do want to impress upon everyone the important shift on display with the media following Williams' death. Most sources are focusing on mental health, and the importance of being there for people who suffer, often silently. It's an unusual change in reporting (this is hardly the first Hollywood suicide), but a welcome one, and one I hope signifies a shift in the way the general public thinks about mental health.

On a final note, Robin Williams did slide into a bit of a caricature of himself late in his career, but that can't erase his impact on myself and my family during his heyday. He was a beloved comedian as much as he was a touchstone to human emotion and goodness. I, for one, will sorely miss him.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

VictorViper wrote:Thanks for linking that, Jog. I'm glad Crystal got to make the tribute. Very nice, and a fine reminder of his unique talent to have us laughing and crying at once.

On another note, I do want to impress upon everyone the important shift on display with the media following Williams' death. Most sources are focusing on mental health, and the importance of being there for people who suffer, often silently. It's an unusual change in reporting (this is hardly the first Hollywood suicide), but a welcome one, and one I hope signifies a shift in the way the general public thinks about mental health.

On a final note, Robin Williams did slide into a bit of a caricature of himself late in his career, but that can't erase his impact on myself and my family during his heyday. He was a beloved comedian as much as he was a touchstone to human emotion and goodness. I, for one, will sorely miss him.
Honestly I didn't pay attention to the media much after Robin's death, but it's encouraging to hear this. I was also pleased whenever I spoke to someone about his death that no one said he was weak or anything like that, most seemed to think about the issues that brought him to that point.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons