Last movie you watched & your rating

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Re: Last movie you watched & your rating

Post by SkyPikachu »

Alita: Battle Angel - Eugh. I had such low hopes for this and it still sucked. It felt like just another generic story like all the other crappy action movies. Visually it looked amazing and there were a few really cool battle scenes but the story and characters just felt meh. I couldn't care for any of it. I don't know if having just finished God of War today possibly set my expectations of a good story too high or what. The ending as well just has such a wtf moment like they were just screaming "AHA YOU WASTED 2 1/2 HOURS ON THIS YOU JACKASS". Giving it a 4/10 mainly for the visuals.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Spider-Man Into the Spider verse

Absolutely fantastic, from the pacing, to the punchlines, to the visual design. Top tier movie.

Gerald's Game

Not sure what I expected, but this went beyond what I was expecting. Very enjoyable horror/thriller/suspense movie. Had me hooked the whole time.

The Spy Who Dumped Me

Fun comedy, nothing too special but it had it's moments, better than you'd expect a movie like this to be. Haven't seen a "spy" movie like this in a while, so it had that going for it.

Me Before You

I liked the performance of both the lead actors. Emilia Clarke comes off as a bit much, but that's clearly the point of her character, so it does end up being charming. Overall, well done.
Currently reading: A Feast For Crows AND A Dance With Dragons
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

I finally got around to watching Ran (1985) last night. It was good. I knew it was based on King Lear going in, but I was impressed by how much of a fusion it was between Shakespeare and various elements of Japanese film-making. The story was fine, but I was most impressed by the cinematography, particularly the huge, wide nature shots (the rolling mountain hills, Azusa plain, etc.). I thought the costume design was also fantastic, and wasn't surprised to read afterwards that the film won a god-damned Oscar for it.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Captain Marvel
Fine to good movie. Didn't dislike anything, didn't love anything. I will say once the second half hit the movie really came into it's own. I do like the character, will be interesting to see her again in Avengers.

I would rate it low among the MCU movies, but the top half of those movies are fantastic so it's a tough list to be a part of
Skullomancer
Initiate

Post by Skullomancer »

Avengers: Endgame

This movie rocks. Go see it.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Post by Spore »

Avengers: Endgame

Who are half these characters? It alright.
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Spore wrote: 27 Apr 2019 04:47 Avengers: Endgame

Who are half these characters? It alright.
I guess all the characters you knew got snapped in the last movie!
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Avengers Endgame:

From start to finish, absolutely phenomenal. I had no idea where the movie was going to go, but I did not expect that. Took the entire history of the MCU and culminated it into a single film. The God damn budget this movie must have had to pull of the scenes they pulled and get the actors they had.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Detective Pikachu
I came in with high expectations for this. The movie slowly grew on me from the original announcement of "umm wtf" to the latest trailer of "OMFG I NEED TO WATCH THIS" I think this is the earliest I've seen a movie after launch outside of 1 or 2 early screens (which basically just happened to be better times). I hate going out in public hate going to the movies and hate doing things by myself and nobody wanted to watch this with me but I forced myself to go due to the hype I had for this. I joined a discord group whom all changed their names to Detective [Username] I changed my twitter handle. This move was over hyped for me so keep that in mind when reading below as usually anything I over hype I hate or am dissapointed by.

Solid movie with great acting from Ryan Reynolds. The humors was great and the story and twists were good. This is obviously a movie that's suppose to also appeal to older children as well and I feel like it did that very well. Ignore the critics about Pikachu. Pikachu was an important and amazing asset to the movie and some of the best lines come from Pikachu. There weren't as many different pokemon as I would have hoped for. I wasn't counting but I assume we didn't see more than 100 max. I came out of the cinema really happy and had really enjoyed myself. Must watch if you're a pokemon fan. Decent movie for children as well though there's some scenes that may scare some younger children (hence the PG rating) I also think parents will get a decent amount of enjoyment from the movie since the plot is much deeper than your typical pokemon movie or your typical childrens movie.

4.5/5
The Shoemaker
Local Legend
Local Legend

Post by The Shoemaker »

Toy Story 4

I wasn't hyped for this one, but after strong reviews I was interested. I rewatched all the movies in preparation and loved them all, in particular Toy Story 3, which remains a masterpiece. Toy Story was my obsession as a kid btw.

The movie was good, I might rank it the lowest of all the Toy Story movies, maybe above 1 and below 2 and 3. Hard to say. There were a lot of moments I really liked, great animation and setting choices. After the great ending in Toy Story 3, I thought this movie might feel a bit messy, and it did. I liked the themes they explored, but it's a story I might have been happier never having seen. Which isn't to say it's bad, I'm just not sure if it's the direction I personally wanted it to go in. I'm very conflicted! But I did enjoy the movie.