"new" Nintendo 3DS announced

Nintendo discussion, including Switch, Wii U, 2DS, New 3DS, eShop, Miiverse, and Virtual Console.
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Re: "new" Nintendo 3DS announced

Post by Jelly »

I don't like the practice of releasing an updated version of the same system and making exclusive games for it. When you buy a video game console, you expect to be able to play the future releases on the system. It's senseless to break that trust, Nintendo keeps stepping on the toes of the actual people that buy their hardware and look forward to their future releases.

This all comes down to Nintendo's incompetence in creating a well-designed and sufficiently powerful system in the first place.

I really hope Nintendo isn't trying to mimic Apple and how they release new versions of their iPhones. That would be horrible for a system only dedicated to gaming.
link64
Beginner

Post by link64 »

http://www.slashgear.com/new-nintendo-3 ... -29343412/

Possible compatibility issues due to game card slot change?.

And data transfer problems?.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

I'm not sure where the talk about generations is coming from, but it doesn't apply here. This kind of upgrade strategy has been practiced by all of the true giants in the gaming industry since the 80s. Coleco, NEC, Sega, all used this kind of incremental approach and it worked just fine for OHWAITAMINUTETHATSRIGHT...
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

VictorViper wrote:I'm not sure where the talk about generations is coming from, but it doesn't apply here. This kind of upgrade strategy has been practiced by all of the true giants in the gaming industry since the 80s. Coleco, NEC, Sega, all used this kind of incremental approach and it worked just fine for OHWAITAMINUTETHATSRIGHT...
The Game Boy Color could be considered a successful example of iteration. Of course, there's the difference that GBC games were still compatible with the old Gameboy.

But there was the DSI was had games that couldn't be played on other systems(for different reasons). Plus on the more general point about Nintendo having so many handheld revisions, that's something they already did, successfully, with the DS line. I find Jelly's concerns about Nintendo mimicking Apple's release strategy to be funny, because that's basically what they already did with the DS.

Nintendo fans will take this, they always do, I don't see any reason to focus on them as some have. Certainly one can understand not liking having to buy a whole new system or otherwise be locked out of late software, but frankly I think the benefits of having a superior system outweigh those concerns. Maybe if this sort of thing happened more often(3DS has been out for well over 3 years, closer to 4 by the time this thing actually comes out), but I don't see much threat of that.
Last edited by TheGreatNads on 30 Aug 2014 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
pdSlooper
Aspirant

Post by pdSlooper »

TheGreatNads wrote:The Game Boy Color could be considered a successful example of iteration. Of course, there's the difference that GBC games were still compatible with the old Gameboy.
Only the black carts were backwards-compatible. The clear carts weren't. The system did release in the U.S. with black carts only. I dunno when the first clear carts released...
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

pdSlooper wrote:Only the black carts were backwards-compatible. The clear carts weren't. The system did release in the U.S. with black carts only. I dunno when the first clear carts released...
There you go. So this is nothing Nintendo haven't done before.
link64
Beginner

Post by link64 »

The Gameboy Color did come out 9 years after the original Gameboy, not quite the same.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

GBC is a very different situation just on the grounds it released nine years later.

[EDIT] Whoops, Link beat me to it.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

The propensity of Nintendo to release new systems over periods of time changes, big deal. When Nintendo released the DS only about 3 years after the original Game Boy Advance, that was a temporal change. It doesn't mean the DS couldn't be compared to previous handheld or console launches.
Pluvius
Owner of Steam
Owner of Steam

Post by Pluvius »

The changes brought by the DSi amounted to an online store and a handful of exclusive shovelware. The fact that a port of Xenoblade Chronicles has already been announced for the N3DS suggests that things will be different this time.

Rob