Best Freeware Game - Grand Finals

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2019 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project.
Spore
Hello.
Hello.

Re: Best Freeware Game - Grand Finals

Post by Spore »

I forgot to vote in the contests leading up to this, but these are two good'uns. Both of these games are important, but Doom absolutely more so. However, Doom originally released as shareware whereas Cave Story is genuine freeware. I love both, but one of these is directly responsible for so much I take for granted in games today. But it doesn't feel completely in the spirit of the term freeware, and hence is slightly jarring.

I could argue that Doom is a unique kind of "free"ware as it was built with openness in mind, giving players access to the game assets to do what they want with it. I literally played a new Doom WAD yesterday, and you could say the amount of free extra content I've extracted from Doom is unmatched. But of course user made WADs don't work with the shareware version of the game. Cave Story actually was released for free and on top of being an excellent game, it helped make the concept of playing games developed by hobbyists as opposed to made by big companies more popular and forecasts the high quality of indie games we've seen for the last decade.

Doom is (the prequel to) the most timeless FPS game of all time and when paired with a mouse trounces the crap out of any singleplayer shooter people are languishing in these days, but I can't completely call it freeware. It was a demo. It even tells you in game how to mail order the other two episodes. I'll hold on to my vote until I can figure out if I can vote for what I want despite the technicality.
Slurmee wrote: 07 May 2019 14:27 Doom does feel like one of those games that has blew up and doesn't really deserve to be called freeware since it's made Bethesda tons of money and basically put them on the gaming map.

Cavestory really feels like a freeware game love and heart put into the game just for the fun of it.

That being said both games are consider freeware as they are free so they both deserve to be here.
Doom didn't make Bethesda money until 2009 when id Software was purchased by Bethesda's parent company. Interestingly, one of the few games to give Doom a run for its re-release money is Cave Story which seems to get a new version every few years.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Spore wrote: 08 May 2019 01:32 I forgot to vote in the contests leading up to this, but these are two good'uns. Both of these games are important, but Doom absolutely more so. However, Doom originally released as shareware whereas Cave Story is genuine freeware. I love both, but one of these is directly responsible for so much I take for granted in games today. But it doesn't feel completely in the spirit of the term freeware, and hence is slightly jarring.

I could argue that Doom is a unique kind of "free"ware as it was built with openness in mind, giving players access to the game assets to do what they want with it. I literally played a new Doom WAD yesterday, and you could say the amount of free extra content I've extracted from Doom is unmatched. But of course user made WADs don't work with the shareware version of the game. Cave Story actually was released for free and on top of being an excellent game, it helped make the concept of playing games developed by hobbyists as opposed to made by big companies more popular and forecasts the high quality of indie games we've seen for the last decade.

Doom is (the prequel to) the most timeless FPS game of all time and when paired with a mouse trounces the crap out of any singleplayer shooter people are languishing in these days, but I can't completely call it freeware. It was a demo. It even tells you in game how to mail order the other two episodes. I'll hold on to my vote until I can figure out if I can vote for what I want despite the technicality.
Slurmee wrote: 07 May 2019 14:27 Doom does feel like one of those games that has blew up and doesn't really deserve to be called freeware since it's made Bethesda tons of money and basically put them on the gaming map.

Cavestory really feels like a freeware game love and heart put into the game just for the fun of it.

That being said both games are consider freeware as they are free so they both deserve to be here.
Doom didn't make Bethesda money until 2009 when id Software was purchased by Bethesda's parent company. Interestingly, one of the few games to give Doom a run for its re-release money is Cave Story which seems to get a new version every few years.
I meant id Software
This Old Neon
Administrator

Post by This Old Neon »

This Old Neon wrote: 07 May 2019 01:05 Best Freeware Game Finals (Tie-Breaker)
Cave Story (2004, PC)
Doom (1993, PC)
DOOM won this bracket. It's officially, indisputably the "BEST FREEWARE GAME EVER!!!" until you change your minds in the next BGE!!!
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

I just watched back at the nominations thread ... how did the Best Shareware category become the Best Freeware category ? Some might have voted differently if it still was about shareware ... or even nominated different games if it was about Freeware ...
Grt. Merlin

SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

What were the results? Edit: Voting scores
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

MerlinDrazziw wrote: 23 May 2019 05:26 I just watched back at the nominations thread ... how did the Best Shareware category become the Best Freeware category ? Some might have voted differently if it still was about shareware ... or even nominated different games if it was about Freeware ...
Slip of the brain, probs. :| Too late now.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 23 May 2019 13:19
MerlinDrazziw wrote: 23 May 2019 05:26 I just watched back at the nominations thread ... how did the Best Shareware category become the Best Freeware category ? Some might have voted differently if it still was about shareware ... or even nominated different games if it was about Freeware ...
Slip of the brain, probs. :| Too late now.
Aren't shareware games not the same as freeware and thus wouldn't be allowed in a freeware category since the shareware game costs money to purchase but is free to give to friends?

Were any of these games even shareware or were they all freeware?
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

SkyPikachu wrote: 23 May 2019 15:21 Were any of these games even shareware or were they all freeware?
I don't even know if they were all either or. The only one(s) I eliminated were regular old "pay regular price to acquire the game" nominations that people mistakenly thought weren't that.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
MerlinDrazziw
Koshogumi
Koshogumi

Post by MerlinDrazziw »

The winner Doom was shareware. Shareware is kind of the old version of current demos, you get to play part of the game for free but have to pay for the full game. Shareware was spread on floppy disks and later CD roms through magazines or just copied. Freeware usually are full games you don't have to pay for (and are not a gift). Cave Story is available as freeware for PC, but there are other versions (on consoles for example) that are not free. The free version can be shared with others.

In a nutshell both shareware and freeware are free to play and can be shared :P

As for the games in the polls ... probably more shareware than freeware.
Grt. Merlin