E3 2019

A place to engage in friendly conversation with your fellow This Old Neon community members. Culture, entertainment, and various miscellaneous discussions are welcome here. Please be sure to acquaint yourself with the Forum Rules before posting.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: E3 2019

Post by Kong Wen »

SkyPikachu wrote: 15 Jun 2019 14:43Devolver Digital/Upload VR/PC Gaming Show/Limited Run Games/Kinda Funny Showcase - N/A
Didn't watch (Don't consider them conferences)
---
Nintendo
This includes the Pokemon and Animal Crossing Treehouse footage in my review since most streams showed those as well
:?

Not criticizing, just found it funny. :)

I'm of the opinion that press conferences should be for announcements and information, not gameplay, unless they're doing a deeper dive into a specific game in a 5-minute featurette or something. For that reason, I give these conferences bonus points when they don't bog their announcements down with gameplay. We can then check out gameplay through other methods later, like gameplay trailers, hands-on videos from the show floor like the Nintendo Treehouse stuff (which aren't a part of the main conference), etc.

Stuff like the Project Scarlett announcement is a good example of what these conferences should be used for, but Microsoft's problem was that they had nothing interesting to say about it or show. Sony basically did a 100% better job of previewing their new console and they weren't even at the damn show. I can understand MS feeling like they needed to announce that they have a new console coming out, but they basically just said "we have a new console and it's like super-powerful and it's like for gamers and stuff."

My E3 Fallout:

Square Enix:
Collection of Mana (physical edition pre-ordered from EB)
Final Fantasy VII Remake (pre-ordered from Walmart for $25 off)

Nintendo:
Pokémon Sword (pre-ordered from Walmart for $15 off)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening remake (pre-ordered from Walmart for $15 off)
Wargroove ($8 off on eShop E3 sale)
Animal Crossing - may get it when it comes out, if the multiplayer is any good

Sony:
Cyberpunk 2077 - I'll get it on sale after launch
PlayStation VR Bundle ($50 off for Days of Play)
Tetris Effect ($20 off for Days of Play)
Astro Bot: Rescue Mission ($20 off for Days of Play)
Beat Saber
Polybius
Superhot VR
($20 off for Days of Play)
Marvel's Spider-Man ($25 off for Days of Play)
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

Kong Wen wrote: 15 Jun 2019 15:03
SkyPikachu wrote: 15 Jun 2019 14:43Devolver Digital/Upload VR/PC Gaming Show/Limited Run Games/Kinda Funny Showcase - N/A
Didn't watch (Don't consider them conferences)
---
Nintendo
This includes the Pokemon and Animal Crossing Treehouse footage in my review since most streams showed those as well
:?

Not criticizing, just found it funny. :)

I'm of the opinion that press conferences should be for announcements and information, not gameplay, unless they're doing a deeper dive into a specific game in a 5-minute featurette or something. For that reason, I give these conferences bonus points when they don't bog their announcements down with gameplay. We can then check out gameplay through other methods later, like gameplay trailers, hands-on videos from the show floor like the Nintendo Treehouse stuff (which aren't a part of the main conference), etc.

Stuff like the Project Scarlett announcement is a good example of what these conferences should be used for, but Microsoft's problem was that they had nothing interesting to say about it or show. Sony basically did a 100% better job of previewing their new console and they weren't even at the damn show. I can understand MS feeling like they needed to announce that they have a new console coming out, but they basically just said "we have a new console and it's like super-powerful and it's like for gamers and stuff."

My E3 Fallout:

Square Enix:
Collection of Mana (physical edition pre-ordered from EB)
Final Fantasy VII Remake (pre-ordered from Walmart for $25 off)

Nintendo:
Pokémon Sword (pre-ordered from Walmart for $15 off)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening remake (pre-ordered from Walmart for $15 off)
Wargroove ($8 off on eShop E3 sale)
Animal Crossing - may get it when it comes out, if the multiplayer is any good

Sony:
Cyberpunk 2077 - I'll get it on sale after launch
PlayStation VR Bundle ($50 off for Days of Play)
Tetris Effect ($20 off for Days of Play)
Astro Bot: Rescue Mission ($20 off for Days of Play)
Beat Saber
Polybius
Superhot VR
($20 off for Days of Play)
Marvel's Spider-Man ($25 off for Days of Play)
I probably worded that badly I meant those companies aren't big devolpers so I don't want to compare them to the big 3 + the other 3 big publishers. Also I plain and simply didn't watch them mainly due to terrible starting times.

Regarding gameplay there's a happy medium that they need. For example 2 years ago I'd never have looked up God of War gameplay so showing it got me excited for it since it looked interesting however the series and genre doesn't usually interest me a whole lot. Perfect example this year is Watch Dogs Legions. The original watch dogs gameplay took way too long and was a snooze fest I've never looked into the series because of it (reviews didn't help either) but legion showed gameplay and looked interesting. These conferences are the one time of the year I pay attention to other companies other than Nintendo (since Nintendo announces stuff in a very easy to nice and easy to consume way due to the directs), Xbox and PlayStation (since I own both consoles). Without the gameplay I'd never have looked at watch dogs legions. However when I company like EA spend like 30 minutes on anthem gameplay in a conference it makes it annoying. I think this is why I love Nintendos approach and don't understand why more companies don't do this as well. Quick event then drawn out gameplay event also timing wise for their direct is perfect since it starts the day e3 starts so there's no wait between the direct/conference and show floor gameplay. Also I feel none of the other companies have a nice hub like nintendo do where you can go and see all the gameplay it's a lot more tedious having to search through 3rd party websites.

Edit: I also added the 2 treehouse showing since ign/mixers feed showed that live and becayse it was clear and all brand new details that would have been in an old school conference had they done one.
SkyPikachu
Down Under Gamer
Down Under Gamer

Post by SkyPikachu »

I made a survey about E3. If anyone wants to fill it out that'd be cool ill post results here later. https://forms.gle/yL6ZF3nbqRwAeGuj9
kitroplious
True Gamer
True Gamer

Post by kitroplious »

Done my entry. ;) Still interested in learning more about Gods & Monsters.