#BGE2020 - Round 2 - Pool 32

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2020-24 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project: Hindsight Edition.

What is the best game (again)?

Poll ended at 02 Aug 2020 00:59

Double Dragon (1988, NES)
29%
Pokémon [Shield/Sword] (2019, Switch)
14%
Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy (2006, PC)
10%
Epic Pinball (1993, PC)
8%
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (2004, GCN)
12%
Illusion of Gaia / Illusion of Time (1993, SNES)
18%
Splatterhouse 3 (1993, Genesis)
4%
Below the Root (1984, AII/C64/PC)
No votes
Analogue: A Hate Story (2012, PC)
2%
Yakuza 2 (2006, PS2)
2%

Total votes: 49

Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: #BGE2020 - Round 2 - Pool 32

Post by Kong Wen »

Sharecrow wrote: 28 Jul 2020 23:17
Kong Wen wrote: 28 Jul 2020 21:06
Claytone wrote: 28 Jul 2020 20:01

Yeah, but I usually don't have a problem enjoying rough progenitor games that came out before I was born. I've liked plenty! DD is just a rare exception. I bought the arcade version of 1 & 2 on PSN awhile ago to hopefully play with a friend one day and see if in its fully realized form I dig it. If not, at least I can say I tried!

I didn't hate the new Double Dragon IV, but it was totally forgettable. One of those 8-bit nostalgia sequels that didn't quite nail it.
Yeah DD4 wasn't good.
Neither was DD3 IMO. Double Dragon is pretty fun. It throws a neat curve ball at co-op players late in the game (SMS, Genesis and Arcade versions only - NES completely redid the fourth level to make it bad.) If memory serves me the NES port doesn’t support co-op either? Anyway, I loved the good ports of the game and still play it occasionally.

Edit: There’s a ton of ports so I don’t know which ones beyond the three I noted are good ports. Full disclosure.
Those old DD games were limited by tech in a lot of ways. The number of enemies and weapons that could appear on the screen at any given time was a give & take. The arcade version is the definitive one IMO but some of the differences in the NES version are interesting, if not exactly good/bad.

Out of interest, I checked the sheet and the only versions of the original that were nominated are the NES, Arcade, and Atari ST/PC port (the latter of which is fucking awful). The NES version has no simultaneous co-op—it features alternating turn order instead (and a weird alternate 1v1 mode). The SMS version does have simultaneous co-op, so it's closer to the arcade version but with scaled-down on-screen assets and I think it's missing some bosses (just making you fight Abobo several times instead). I wonder if the SMS version deserves a nomination....
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming