#BGE2020 - Round 2 - Pool 103

Archive of nominations, event polls, side-events, discussion threads, and results from the 2020-24 "BEST GAME EVER!!!" Project: Hindsight Edition.

What is the best game (again)?

Poll ended at 20 Sep 2020 00:59

Final Fight (1989, Arcade)
16%
Mario Party (1998, N64)
21%
Pokémon [FireRed/LeafGreen] Version (2004, GBA)
15%
Outlast (2013, Multiplatform)
13%
Ring Fit Adventure (2019, NS)
8%
Point Blank (1994, Arcade/PS1)
11%
Skyroads (1993, PC)
5%
Passage (2007, PC)
No votes
Kickle Cubicle (1988, Arcade/NES)
10%
King of the Monsters (1991, NG)
No votes

Total votes: 61

This Old Neon
Administrator

#BGE2020 - Round 2 - Pool 103

Post by This Old Neon »

Welcome to the second round of #BGE2020 pools!

Each game is randomly seeded into pools using the sequence generator at Random.org. There's no seeding, no ranking, and no preference or prioritization.

The results of the pools will determine how each game stacks up in the elimination rounds, coming... realistically in early 2021.

HOW TO VOTE

Voting is ranked, but it's not super intuitive, so listen up.
  • You have 6 total votes to distribute.
  • You can only select up to 3 options.
  • You can only give each option up to 3 votes.
  • NOTE: The number you pick is not the RANK of your choice (i.e. 1st, 2nd, 3rd), but the number of VOTES you're giving it.
  • The more votes (bigger numbers) a game gets, the better for that game.
EXAMPLES
  • You could pick three games and order them by giving them 3, 2, and 1 votes.
  • If you like three games equally, you could give them 2, 2, and 2 votes.
  • If you only like two games, you could give them 3 and 3 votes (or 3 and 2, etc.).
This gives you a lot of granularity for how you assign your votes and thereby a lot of influence over which games can do well. Use your power wisely!

If you have questions, ask before voting! :neon:
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Re: #BGE2020 - Round 2 - Pool 103

Post by Kong Wen »

Kickle Cubicle is a... top-down room-puzzler? Is there a genre name for these? Kind of like the Lolo games, anyway, but with a different aesthetic and mechanic. Anyway, no one else I talked to growing up had ever heard of or played this game, so I started to believe I had dreamed it up.
• TONe's Discord server is a laid-back place to chill & chat
• Please subscribe to help my Langrisser channel on YouTube!
• Follow me on Twitch to get a notification when I'm streaming
Han Solo
Cinephile and Gamer

Post by Han Solo »

I actually just played through Kickle Cubicle for the first time last week and loved it. I think it is much better than the Adventures of Lolo games. I really liked how the main story levels were fairly simple the whole way through, but then the post game levels really make you think how to finish them.
Sharecrow
Wyvern
Wyvern

Post by Sharecrow »

Outlast only here. I just love that game. I couldn’t bring myself to vote for Final Fight because I didn’t want to dilute my Outlast votes
No more nightmares, I’ve seen them all. From the day I was born, they’ve haunted my every move.
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Han Solo wrote: 13 Sep 2020 12:59 I actually just played through Kickle Cubicle for the first time last week and loved it. I think it is much better than the Adventures of Lolo games. I really liked how the main story levels were fairly simple the whole way through, but then the post game levels really make you think how to finish them.
Yes! Nice. What prompted you to play it?
Han Solo
Cinephile and Gamer

Post by Han Solo »

Kong Wen wrote: 13 Sep 2020 17:36
Han Solo wrote: 13 Sep 2020 12:59 I actually just played through Kickle Cubicle for the first time last week and loved it. I think it is much better than the Adventures of Lolo games. I really liked how the main story levels were fairly simple the whole way through, but then the post game levels really make you think how to finish them.
Yes! Nice. What prompted you to play it?
I bought a copy of Kickle Cubicle a couple of weeks at a local retro game store. It had long been on my radar has a game to play, because I had heard a bunch of people recommend it or wish for it to show up on the Virtual Console over the years. I think the first time I ever heard of it was when Nintendo Power listed it as one of the best 100 games ever on a Nintendo console back in their 100th issue.

Another great NES puzzle game that's often overlooked is Fire'n Ice/Solomon's Key 2. I was lucky to find a cheap copy of the Famicom cartridge last year and I was totally addicted once I started playing it. I loved that they essentially took out all of the action from the first Solomon's Key and just focused on the puzzles. I always found Solomon's Key to be too chaotic and stressful to really make any progress in it.

Oddly enough, one reason why I preferred Kickle Cubicle over Adventures of Lolo is because it Kickle had more action in it. Lolo also required you to perfectly execute the solutions for each room, but Kickle was often much more free and open in design (at least in the main story levels).

Side note: Has Fire'n Ice ever been nominated for this project?
Kong Wen
Just a Normal Kong
Just a Normal Kong

Post by Kong Wen »

Han Solo wrote: 13 Sep 2020 21:00 Side note: Has Fire'n Ice ever been nominated for this project?
Fire 'n Ice was nominated one time, by one person (you!), in the 2019 Project. As a previous project nominee, it has indeed appeared in #BGE2020; in the first round pool 215, it got 4 votes—1 from Pluvius and 3 from you. :) It hasn't appeared in round two yet.