Two F2P classic Psikyo SHMUPS on Android/iOS

A place to discuss mobile gaming across all tablet and smartphone platforms, including Android, iOS, and Windows.
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Two F2P classic Psikyo SHMUPS on Android/iOS

Post by Jelly »

Strikers 1945 II and Sengoku Ace Episode II (under the name of Tengai) recently hit the Google Play store. They''re originally made by Psikyo, and now ported to Android with touch control. Tengai is also available on iOS, Strikers 1945 II is not.

They're all free. I played Tengai on iOS. It has an interesting in-game currency that you can earn by playing, it lets you buy continues, you can also buy that currency with real money. There are also ads popping up when you've finished playing, I found that a bit annoying.

I find the concept of porting old arcade games to touch devices and adding F2P monetization quite interesting, especially when they properly customize the controls for touch. I actually wouldn't mind more proper ports of classic SHMUPS with this superfluous monetization.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... s1945ii_gg
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .tengai_gg
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/tengai/id876771194?mt=8
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Re: Two F2P classic Psikyo SHMUPS on Android/iOS

Post by VictorViper »

Jelly wrote:I find the concept of porting old arcade games to touch devices and adding F2P monetization quite interesting...
What is so interesting about it to you? This kind of garbage is a blight on otherwise nice games.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.
Jelly
Beans
Beans

Post by Jelly »

VictorViper wrote:
Jelly wrote:I find the concept of porting old arcade games to touch devices and adding F2P monetization quite interesting...
What is so interesting about it to you? This kind of garbage is a blight on otherwise nice games.
I find it interesting that you pay for continues, pretty much like it would be in the arcade. You can however get a certain amount of continues for free by playing the game itself.

I find the F2P thing to be a fair compromize since the developer has to customize the controls and port the game to the touch based platform. I would surely prefer to pay a couple of bucks for a straight port with touch controls, but now I get the core game for free. And that's fine with me.
TheGreatNads
Aspirant

Post by TheGreatNads »

Yeah, I see nothing wrong with this concept. Though this reminds me of the idiotic game reviews that said some shooter was bad and pointless because all you have to do is hit continue over and over and over and you'll finish the game in under an hour. This will teach them.
VictorViper
Vic's Last Stand
Vic's Last Stand

Post by VictorViper »

The problem isn't as severe here as with paid offerings like Cave's latest iOS ports, where an $8 game is riddled with for-pay and otherwise-unobtainable upgrades and unlocks. I can handle ad-supported games (when implemented right like it seems to be here), but I can't stomach any superfluous pay-to-win junk like this in any game. Goes against my gamer sensibilities at a base level.
Natural laws are born and raised in disorder.

Bubblegum: Da House Rules. Da Setting.